Red Arrows Hawk TMk1A Serial numbers

Kiwi Boy

Think this might be a tall order but I will ask anyway.

If there is anyone on this forum who has ever ahd anything to do with the Royal Air Force's Red Arrows aerobatic team, I wonder if you could help me with something.

I have an Airfix 1:72 Hawk TMk1a Red Arrows kit but I want to do one specific aircraft serial number that I am not sure about. I want to do the aircraft the Sqn Ldr Tim Miller flew as Red 1 during the 1990 season and whether or not he used the same aircraft serial number during their detachement to Cyprus in 1989 as featured in the dvd Rolling in the Sky. Does anyone know what the aircraft serial number was?

Hope someone has the answer!!

Andrew

SCRATCH THAT!! Just found my answer. I got the cover box out for the dvd of Rolling in the Sky and looking very closely I was able to make out the serial number XX304 which according to the registry of UK aircraft serial numbers was the 138th Hawk to be built and had a build number of 312129.

According the following photo, XX304 has now been decommissioned and was wrapped in protective plastic in 1999. Most likely due to coming to the end of its fatigue live/flying hours.

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1277072/

• 1 year later...

I don't know how Squadron Leader Miller flew XX304 in 1990 has the aircraft crashed while taking off for a in-season practise in 1988 when the pilot, Squadron Leader Pete Collins (Red 4) accidently flew through the jet wash from Red 2's Hawk.

Film footage was on the BBC news as "Going Live" presenter Phil Scofield was flying with Tim in Red 1 for the kid's programme.

I don't know how Squadron Leader Miller flew XX304 in 1990 has the aircraft crashed while taking off for a in-season practise in 1988 when the pilot, Squadron Leader Pete Collins (Red 4) accidently flew through the jet wash from Red 2's Hawk.

Film footage was on the BBC news as "Going Live" presenter Phil Scofield was flying with Tim in Red 1 for the kid's programme.

tim, I thought the smoke pod took most of the damage in that incident? Is the Rolling in the sky video the one in which we appeared in? We were interviewd at Staverton, remember?

SCRATCH THAT!! Just found my answer. I got the cover box out for the dvd of Rolling in the Sky and looking very closely I was able to make out the serial number XX304 which according to the registry of UK aircraft serial numbers was the 138th Hawk to be built and had a build number of 312129.

According the following photo, XX304 has now been decommissioned and was wrapped in protective plastic in 1999. Most likely due to coming to the end of its fatigue live/flying hours.

just covered waiting for paint primer application by the look of that photo, normally hawks in storage are complete & standing on their own landing gear/wheels for ease of moving them around when required.

The detail at the bottom of the pics says it was written off 24/06/88. This is also stated under the entry for XX304 on the UK Serials website, so I think it unlikely that it was till flying 2 years after this date. I think you need to keep looking!

Mark.

It may have been written off but doesn't mean to say it was struck off the register therefore it's possible it may have been rebuilt.

That Rolling in the Sky video was re-released on DVD a few years ago but it has been changed a little bit. On the original VHS edition, there was commentary by Sqn Ldr Andy Stewart, however on the DVD, there is no commentary and some of the music tracks have been changed also. Both version are good in their own right.

I met someone who was contect with the reds when I was in hospital in Glasgow the once. I believe his name was Steve Goudling and may have been in First Line or in the Circus, not sure. Maybe you guys no more?

tim, I thought the smoke pod took most of the damage in that incident? Is the Rolling in the sky video the one in which we appeared in? We were interviewd at Staverton, remember?

The Smoke pod on Pete's Hawk was ripped off the aicraft and the Blues had to scrap it.

The one that Dave Stobie belied at Brize slipped along on the pod and all they (the Blues) did was raise the jet up with a crane, dropped the undercarriage got some gaffer tape out and flew the jet back to Scampton to be repaired. :gobsmacked:

• 2 years later...

I was a Blue Suit ground crew with the reds from 82 to end of 88. Also did some flying in xx304 with Pete Collins.

Also, was watching this particular take off and saw the entire accident - the smoke pod exploded on impact, the entire aircraft suffered extensive fire damage bottom side as the pod diesel ignited.

Pete suffered from canopy splatter etc.

There is much to this accident that most speculate about, I know what happened as does Pete, we shall just leave it as an unfortunate event that happens time to time when so many aircraft are in close proximity.

• 3 weeks later...

May I extend the original question?

I'm trying to establish which aircraft flew in which positions during the 2002 Jubilee flypast. I tried RAFAT PR but they said that they don't keep those records at Scampton.

I think (from reading fightercontrol.com, to be honest) that the aircraft were:

XX266, XX253, XX233, XX308, XX264, XX306, XX292, XX294 and XX179 - I just don't know which was where.

Does anyone know how I might find out?

Cheers,

Kirk

just covered waiting for paint primer application by the look of that photo, normally hawks in storage are complete & standing on their own landing gear/wheels for ease of moving them around when required.

After being written off, XX304 was used for paint trials at Shawbury until it was scrapped.The nose section went to Thales in Crawley for instructional use.