ROYAL AIRCRAFT FACTORY S.E.5.a

Moofles Posted Today, 02:03 AM

ive been looking more and more at your model, and with some servo's a moter etc you could make this fly, i looked over your lizzie build and if this going along the lines of that its going to be so epic.

Well Moofles.....this build is going to be a long haul job if that is what you mean by "epic" and I hope you have the time and the interest to stick with it to the bitter end!! :o

crookedmouth Posted Today, 09:09 AM

Fascinating stuff Foz. It may just be bits of wood at the moment but it's really interesting to watch. Keep up the photos.

Wilco Campbell ,except I will have to post photos of myself thinking what I should do next on this build, its that slow at the moment! :hmmm:

Wilco Campbell ,except I will have to post photos of myself thinking what I should do next on this build, its that slow at the moment! :hmmm:

The pilot's seat? A Lewis/Vickers gun?

The pilot's seat? A Lewis/Vickers gun?

I'd love to ..I really would but I am a very methodical person and need to build all of the Fuselage first before getting to all the fun stuff!!! ;)

Forgive me if you've already told us, what stuff will you use to cover the air frame with Fozz?

Si.

Hi Simon.....Tissue will represent the doped linen and Paper card (old xmas cards) will represent the wooden panels.

Hi again Lads

I managed to place the two Front Formers onto the Fuselage and to do the first bit of detailing yesterday.

This first photo shows my cheating attempt at fabricating the Fuel tank :) .....that sits just behind the Engine bay.Infact I have just put together using plastic card the end of the tank that will be the only part showing on this model....you will see what I mean when its all put together!

se5aplans004-2.jpg

See what I mean?...I have just super glued the face of the tank onto the wooden former!when painted later I am hoping that it will pass as a Fuel tank!!!!

The next few shots show what the whole thing looks like now.......................

se5aplans005-2.jpg

Just below the face of the tank there are two blocks of wood...these are the anchor points for the top front Wing Struts...............

se5aplans006-1.jpg

se5aplans007-1.jpg

se5aplans009.jpg

Thats the update for today!

Swimming pool/BBQ and off roading party today B) ...... so its down tools and I'll continue tomorrow.

Cheers for looking in........

Greetings from a very hot Bulgarian summers day B)

I have spent a few hours since I last posted changing a few things on the Fuselage!!

You might not notice the differences but I have added 2 x cross frames in the Cockpit area,which will accomodate the seat later and after looking at real Aircraft pictures I decided to change some of the frame works....again around the Cockpit area! this is because looking ahead to when I detail the Cockpit ....some of the frame work will be visible and I want it to look as realistic as possible. I also glued the floor covering onto the Balsa flooring which I hope looks better than just plain Balsa wood...its just a colour sample sheet I picked up from B+Q last time I was in UK! ;) .................

se5aplans001-3.jpg

se5aplans003-3.jpg

I have also changed the front end around a bit so that it will accomodate the Engine that I am going to scratch build....I have taken the front Former off and placed 2 pieces of hard wood which will act as Engine Bearers...this also has strengthened up the front end...........

se5aplans002-2.jpg

Only a small step forward I know but I am finding the S.E.5.a structure to be more challenging than I thought!!! :(

I will be starting on the Tail Skid and Under cart Struts next....will post soon

Cheers

Like the idea of using the fake/lino sample. Saves mucking about trying to paint a wood effect. Clever boy. I guess it pays to root around the local DiY store!

You know me mate...if I can cut a corner I will ;)

Looks fantastic Fozzy!! Love the flooring!!

Cheers

Brenden

Well I have had 2 comments on the flooring so far....thanks Brenden because I wasn't sure about it untill now!

Greetings from a very hot Bulgarian summers day B)

. I also glued the floor covering onto the Balsa flooring which I hope looks better than just plain Balsa wood...its just a colour sample sheet I picked up from B+Q last time I was in UK! ;)

Good use of material!- Is that the thick non-flexible plastic-backed variety you get as kitchen worktop samples? I ask because DIY shops also sell a self-adhesive foil (usually in 1metre wide rolls) which are used to cover furniture and worktops on the cheap. It is very thin, and will conform to compund curves quite well. I have seen it used to great effect on r/c planes, but not on a static model. I know the below example is a ship model, but it has been used to very a startling effect here- http://modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/viewtopic...&highlight=

regards,

Will

Good use of material!- Is that the thick non-flexible plastic-backed variety you get as kitchen worktop samples? I ask because DIY shops also sell a self-adhesive foil (usually in 1metre wide rolls) which are used to cover furniture and worktops on the cheap. It is very thin, and will conform to compund curves quite well. I have seen it used to great effect on r/c planes, but not on a static model. I know the below example is a ship model, but it has been used to very a startling effect here- http://modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/viewtopic...&highlight=

regards,

Will

Hi Will

Thanks for your input.....No the material I used for the flooring is nothing like what the ships use.If you go into B+Q for example and go to where they sell flooring you will see colour examples printed on paper.Thats all it is.....a print of a piece of wood on a bit of paper.I am constantly on the lookout for stuff like this for scratch building!!! ;)

bruce3371 Posted Today, 05:37 PM

This really is a facinating build, I've been really engrossed in it

Thanks Bruce...I'm glad your enjoying it as much as I am making it!

Afternoon lads.

I am off to the coast to get away from the Bulgarian Summer heat tomorrow and I thought I would do the last post until next week.

I managed to construct the Tail unit ...this time a bit different than how I am used to doing Tail units!!...ie I have used a block of Balsa wood which I carved into shape.

Now I havn't finished the detail on it as yet but I thought I would show you what it looks like at the moment.......the pics will show the method I used......

se5aplans-1.jpg

I out lined the shape on a block of wood.....and then proceeded to sand down to the line to get the overall shape and then shaped it by looking at photos..

se5aplans004-3.jpg

....here is what it looks like after sanding....

se5aplans005-3.jpg

se5aplans006-2.jpg

Just to get an idea of what it looks like I tacked it to the Fuselage by a bit of blue tack! ;)

se5aplans010.jpg

Having trouble again with Photobucket....hold on! :angry:

se5aplans007-2.jpg

se5aplans009-1.jpg

Ok then...when I come back from swimming in the Black Sea I'll get this Tail unit completed...untill then..

Happy Modelling! :)