ROYAL AIRCRAFT FACTORY S.E.5.a

Hi to every one

I have been planning to do this Project way before my last model of the F-14D Tomcat..and the time has finally arrived!!

I feel glad to be back in the realm of Scratch building because this is what I really like doing.My last Scratch build was a Mk 1 Lysander which really challenged me and I believe it will be the same with this project.I scratch built a Camel F1 some time ago in 1:20 scale and I found it a nice scale to work with but I am toying with the idea of doing this SE5a in 1:15 Scale....not too sure at this time...I mean where would I put it?any way havn't made my mind up yet. :hmmm:

The plan is to also scratch build the Engine and have the Cowling off to show it ...but again at this stage I don't want to commit my self to something I might not be able to do! :unsure: ...so like all scratch building ....we will just have to see how it all goes on the way!

As usual with my model threads this one will probably run for quite a while as I have to obviously fabricate every thing.....unless of course no ones watching it!!

So to start with.....plans!.................Here is a photo of the plans I will be using for this build.Got from the Internet (free) it is what you call a Peanut Scale plan.I have used these types of plans before and I find them really straight forward...which of course is what you need when Sratch building.Peanut Scale plans were popular in the 70s and 80s and were designed for rubber powered model flying Aircraft with a wing span no more than 13 inches......

se5amaterials001.jpg

se5amaterials002.jpg

I'll be following this one, as the S.E.5a is my favourite WW1 fighter aircraft :)

• Like 1

...Ofcourse for those of you who are switched on will see that I will have to re design the Prop!!!....but you can see that ther plan is quite straight forward.

There are a few rules that I always set for myself when Scratch building and that is ....

1. Use cheap materials

2. Use contents of the kitchen bin if stuck for materials!

3. Have a good sense of humour and never give up when the going gets tough!!

Normally if this thread was a model kit the photos would next be of the contents of the box!! :rolleyes: .....so I have taken a photo of some of the materials I will use for this build!! ;)

se5amaterials003.jpg

The most expensive part!!!

se5amaterials007.jpg

Card and tracing paper....dirt cheap!!!

se5amaterials004.jpg

Scraps of plastic card.............

se5amaterials005.jpg

My favourite tin of scrap wire!!

se5amaterials006.jpg

.....and finally ...tissue paper!

So there you have it..............I guess I better get on with it then!! :o I will start tomorrow by laying out the plans on a building board and start constucting the Fuselage....mean while I will be constantly searching the web and books for information/pics etc

Cheers for looking in...will post again soon :)

Edited by Fozzy

I'll be following this one, as the S.E.5a is my favourite WW1 fighter aircraft :)

Nice to hear Bruce....My favourite as well!

Looks like another interesting scratchbuild project! :D

Ill be very interested to see how you make the wings as Im planning a scratchbuild myself for which I have no good idea for reproducing those parts :)

Edited by Hypnobear

Looks like another interesting scratchbuild project! :D

Ill be very interested to see how you make the wings as Im planning a scratchbuild myself for which I have no good idea for reproducing those parts :)

Well when it comes to constructing the wings I hope I can help you !

Cheers

Well when it comes to constructing the wings I hope I can help you !

Cheers

Thanks! There will be no need to get to that stage quickly though as I cant build my scratchbuilt-thing for years as yet due to no proper tools and a tiny amount of knowledge about what Im doing! :D

Just hope that there will be some things I can learn as my aircraft will have three engines built into each wing while yours will be much simpler in shape

Thanks! There will be no need to get to that stage quickly though as I cant build my scratchbuilt-thing for years as yet due to no proper tools and a tiny amount of knowledge about what Im doing! :D

Just hope that there will be some things I can learn as my aircraft will have three engines built into each wing while yours will be much simpler in shape

I know what you mean...if its any help ...check out my Lysander on my web site...thats a wierd shape!!!

I know what you mean...if its any help ...check out my Lysander on my web site...thats a wierd shape!!!

I did follow your build with the Lysander and thought it was absolutely brilliant! Must have been a huge number of hours poured into finishing that, and judging by that and the Stuka cutaway you did, Im looking forward to progress on this too

As for the wings Im planning to build, your Lysander's ones look hard enough as it is, but I can definitely take not of the construction method - that will prove useful as Ive been trying to think of a way to cover the fuselage and wings properly

I did follow your build with the Lysander and thought it was absolutely brilliant! Must have been a huge number of hours poured into finishing that, and judging by that and the Stuka cutaway you did, Im looking forward to progress on this too

As for the wings Im planning to build, your Lysander's ones look hard enough as it is, but I can definitely take not of the construction method - that will prove useful as Ive been trying to think of a way to cover the fuselage and wings properly

thanks for those kind words....as for covering the wings...it all depends on what air craft it is ..ie cloth covered or metal skin ...and at what scale you are doing it in...you have to experiment!!

Another feast for the eyes from Fozz........nice !!

If your stuck for somewhere to display it Fozz send it over to me mate B)

Si.

• Like 1

Hi to Brian and the Doctor!..cheers lads ...its good to get back to scratch building!!...starting the long haul tomorrow!

Good afternoon chaps.

So here we are on the first day of this build :)

After clearing the decks I got out my building board...this consists of a cork "post it" reminder board...the type you get in any art store...and pinned the plans on...I also placed over the top of the plans,tracing paper,..this will stop the wood glue going all over the plans and sticking the structure to the paper!!...........a note on the plans; when I printed them off the Internet I then took them down my local excuse for a town and searched for a photo copier shop.....found one but couldn't get the Bulgarian shop keeper to understand what I wanted.....so drove off to another town where I had more luck with my Bulgarian language skills at another shop who then promptly photo copied the plans up to 1:20 scale for me!!...oh yes....thats the scale I decided on...I might have a go some other time to do the S.E.5.a in 1:15 scale...depends how I get on with this :unsure:

Any how here is the first photo of the plans pinned on the board.........

se5aplans001.jpg

I had to study more fererence material before starting to cut the wood because this part has to be as precise as you can get it ,else the end result will look nothing like the S.E.5.a!!...so after checking and re-checking for a while I started to cut appropiate strips from some 1.5 mm Hard wood that I have...

se5aplans003.jpg

Using dress making pins that I stole from the wifes sewing basket!! I started to pin the wood into place over the plans......

se5aplans005.jpg

So I have made a start as you can see.

I havn't glued these parts into place yet as I have to cut extra pieces to make the Fuselage frame work more realistic...as these plans as previously mentioned are just basic!!

When I have cut the rest of the frame work parts up I will post again.....

Cheers lads

2. Use contents of the kitchen bin if stuck for materials!

I always learn something during your builds so I look forward to seeing how you will incorporate the half eaten pizza from the kitchen bin!

I always learn something during your builds so I look forward to seeing how you will incorporate the half eaten pizza from the kitchen bin!

You'd be suprised Tony! ;)

crookedmouth Posted Today, 03:00 PM

Hey Foz - that doesn't look like a Wyvern!

Only kidding! Looking forward to following this one, matey. (anyway, what's wrong with that propeller? It looks OK t me!)

Hi there Campbell....I hope all is well mate....I wanted to do the Wyvern this time but I'll have a go next time.....I promise...its not an easy one and I wanted a little more practise on this one first!!...as for the prop on the plan ,you are joking arn't you?I can never tell with you!!..look at the tips on that :bouncy: ...prop I mean! :analintruder:

Hi again

The frame work for the Fuselage side has most of the parts in position ready to glue and I have now glued it.This will have to be left overnight to set before I can add the Formers to the frame.

I cut the pattern of the Formers out from the plan and glued them onto some cardboard which will will act as a template to draw around onto a piece of hard wood tomorrow.......

se5aplans006.jpg

Here is a photo of the progress of the frame so far;dosn't look much I have to say for the ammount of time it took but as I said before ...you have to be precise as you can at this stage......

se5aplans007.jpg

Ofcourse ...the pain in the ar## is that I have to repeat this process for the other side of the frame work tomorrow! :(

So untill then.......

Cheers

Hi Fozzy

This is going to be good!! You got my undivided attention!!

Good luck

Cheers

Brenden

Howdy Brenden!......as usual I'll need all the luck I can get!

Hi

A very quick update................I started sanding down the 5 Formers that will attatch to the Fuselage frame at 2pm this afternoon......just finished !...its now 6pm :o ...4 hours of sanding really small parts! I broke the third former 4 times and had to start all over again!! :angry: ...

It took me so long that I will make you look at the boring photo ;) .......................

se5aplans.jpg

So thats all I have done today!!

Tomorrow I will attach them to the frame......untill then

Thanks for looking in........

Edited by Fozzy

se5aplans007.jpg

Ahhh! Nostalgia - I have memories of watching my dad build a balsa plane (cessna something I reckon) like this - pinned to the plans. Cant remember if it ever got finished though...

crookedmouth Posted Today, 09:47 PM

Ahhh! Nostalgia - I have memories of watching my dad build a balsa plane (cessna something I reckon) like this - pinned to the plans. Cant remember if it ever got finished though...

Yep its a tried and tested method....lets hope I get this thing finished!! :huh: ....What model are you doing next mate?...I know its summer and all that but dash it all old chap get your self back to the chuffing work bench...eh?