1/35 Trumpeter Type 59-B, Type 69 II, Type 80 and Type 85 II

Rosenberg92

Hi all,

Not normally an armour modeller but wouldnt mind giving it another go. I have seen the above available cheap (Just over £5 each) and wondered if they were any good?

I tried looking for reviews, whats in the box etc but didnt get much. As I am not normally an Armour modeller I guess I wouldnt know where to look. So, does anyone know if they are any good, anyone built one or know whats in the box?

All the best,

Dan.

Hi all,

Not normally an armour modeller but wouldnt mind giving it another go. I have seen the above available cheap (Just over £5 each) and wondered if they were any good?

I tried looking for reviews, whats in the box etc but didnt get much. As I am not normally an Armour modeller I guess I wouldnt know where to look. So, does anyone know if they are any good, anyone built one or know whats in the box?

All the best,

Dan.

This article covers the majority of the kits you mentioned, all of which are variants of the Russian T-54/55.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/modern/trumpt55.htm

Trumpeters T-54/55 and chinese versions are not great kits in terms of accuracy but they are the only option available (Tamiya's excellent T-55 being the exception). Those trumpeter kits normally retail for close to £15 so if you are looking to see if you like 1/35 armour without a big investment they would be a great place to start. At those prices I would even be tempted particularly if there was a T-54!

Hope that helps

Mandrake

Some of those kits are motorised and heavily compromised as a result - it's like the early 1970s all over again. Most are also poor for detail, both in accuracy and in finish. At least one gives you tracks that aren't shown on the lid, but I think that's the Type 59D. The biggest problem, though, is that they're not made of conventional polystyrene. I think it's something closer to ABS. That's a relative of polystyrene but it doesn't respond well to normal cement; you'll need something with MEK or methylene chloride, like Pro-Weld, or resort to superglue.

On the other hand, try finding some of those T-54/55 variants anywhere else! At £5 they're worth a try. In fact, if you can locate a second Type 80, or even a Type 79, I might be interested in taking one off you. PM me?