1973-2000, Les maquettes Matchbox

Antoine

Ah, Matchbox! It's worth recalling what a shot in the arm Matchbox were to modelling when they burst upon the scene in 1973 (was it really 38 years ago?). Eye-catching packaging, imaginative transfer options and good selection of subjects, a mixture of things we'd always wanted (eg BoB Heinkel III, Sherman Firefly, Panzer III) and more enthusiast-orientated subjects (eg Hawker Fury). Okay some of them didn't come off (eg Heinkel III and that awful Warhawk) and many have been overtaken by more recent releases (eg Spitfire IX) but many remain unique representations (eg Seafox, Stranraer) and of those some are little gems. I have always contended that Matchbox kits look much better made-up than in the box. But I don't suppose they'd last long in today's era of Internet condemnation from initial sprue shots.

That book fills a major gap. I've just picked up a book on the Eagle kits, so that's all the major British and American companies covered. Now for something covering Italeri and the Japanese companies?

Matchbox kits fell into two categories: the more interesting (if exotic) subjects that were tooled quite well, and the popular ones which were often crude, poorly fitting, and covered in gouges. Although some of the popular ones were quite acceptable, certainly by the general standards of the time, others were downright awful. Their ships were particularly poor, whereas their tanks could be the direct opposite, with only a couple of clunkers. They were perhaps rather lucky to catch the end of the period where plastic kits were still selling in large numbers from corner shops, and couldn't maintain their position once the market declined in size and became more discerning. Though the decline of the company obviously had more to it than changes in the plastic kit market.

I hope that I've not misguided anyone.

This is only a kind of booklet, not really a big book like the one about Heller's production published years ago by this same editor.

But what could be nice is that in general, this serie is translated in english.

And indeed, it is (After a quick search on the webpage!):

numero_image_2661_1308133596.jpg

Very interesting, I'll have to look in a bookshop here where they have most H&S books. Guess the author is the same JC Carbonel of Modelstories website. His website is great !

I entered this hobby thanks to matchbox kits and back then I loved them. Of course today things are different, but there are still some that I buy anytime I see them. Last was a Sea Harrier a couple of months ago. Yes the esci/italeri is better, yes airfix did one recently... but with a bit of extra detailing it can be turned into a decent model and is for some aspect more accurate than the new airfix kit !

It was weird that the unusual subjects, especially the biplanes, were of good quality. Some of the most popular subjects though were really poor in details and shape: the spitfire, the F-16, the F-4, the Tomcat, the Hunter for example, with the F-16 being probably the worst.

Then there were some popular enough subjects that were still decentlu enough executed (if lacking in detail) like the buccaneer or the lightning or the viggen.

I might add some other subject that has yet to be done in plastic after matchbox did: the G-91Y, the Buckeye, the Hawk 200... fortunately revell has reboxed a few matchbox kits, there's hope than others will see the light again.

I've got fond memories of building the Matchbox Hawk T1, AH-1G HueyCobra, Comet tank, HMS Kelly, and several others. I loved Matchbox kits for the striking box art and unusual/daring subject choices, especially the 1/72 Flower class corvette. I'll be adding the book to my Amazon wishlist.

Wow,

that brings back some memories, that very 109 was my first ever model!

I still like building MB kits today, my latest last month:

BD1.jpg

Julien

Recently finished a Matchbox Provost, which other mainstrem

manufacturer would kit that? As has been said, Matchbox

were fantastic with the obscure types but the mainstream

aircraft were usually bettered by others. No one else will

do a Seafox, Heyford, Siskin, Stranraer, Wellesley etc in mass production

and well moulded too, sad they went down but still the best

for British types

Cheers all,

Paul

I agree, Matchbox kits are great, in there orignal form or as issued by others...

Matchbox Cheers,

ggc

I agree that one of the nice things about Matchbox were their doing obscure subjects like the Seafox, the He-70, the Heyford, etc. Another thing, and I'm not sure why that was, but I always thought their biplanes were nicely done kits - the aforementioned Seafox and Heyford, and the P-12E, the Fury, and the Siskin also come to mind as very attractive little kits. I miss them (for that matter I still haven't gotten over the demise of Frog!).

Regards,

Learstang

I agree that one of the nice things about Matchbox were their doing obscure subjects like the Seafox, the He-70, the Heyford, etc. Another thing, and I'm not sure why that was, but I always thought their biplanes were nicely done kits - the aforementioned Seafox and Heyford, and the P-12E, the Fury, and the Siskin also come to mind as very attractive little kits. I miss them (for that matter I still haven't gotten over the demise of Frog!).

Regards,

Learstang

I have the Fury and Siskin, and they're wonderful little kits. Among the best biplane kits I've seen in 72nd.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a copy of this book, via Amazon for a tenner.

It is a good read, but obviously done from a French point of view (interviews from French model shop owners and people in France who worked for Matchbox selling their kits). There is a picture of nearly every kit box, in colour, along with listings. A few literal translations in the book (where it was translated from French) could have been spotted by a competent native English speaking editor, but they add to the book's Gallic character. And on a personal level, I would disagree with comments about some of the kits made by individuals in the book. But that's my view.

I recommend this book but I feel there is room for a fuller history of Matchbox kits, perhaps along the line of the latest Arthur Ward book on Airfix.

Edited by Nigel Bunker

I bought a copy of this book, via Amazon for a tenner.

It is a good read, but obviously done from a French point of view (interviews from French model shop owners and people in France who worked for Matchbox selling their kits). There is a picture of nearly every kit box, in colour, along with listings. A few literal translations in the book (where it was translated from French) could have been spotted by a competent native English speaking editor, but they add to the book's Gallic character. And on a personal level, I would disagree with comments about some of the kits made by individuals in the book. But that's my view.

I recommend this book but I feel there is room for a fuller history of Matchbox kits, perhaps along the line of the latest Arthur Ward book on Airfix.

I'd generally agree, being well impressed by the coverage of the Airfix book. Nevertheless, I have a soft spot for Matchbox and I must get this £10 special.

I have to admit that I have built or acquired more Matchbox kits since their demise than I did when they were a going concern ( and probably the same goes for Frog) and it's made me realise what we are missing.

Oh yes, and I strongly agree with Seahawks comment about todays emphasis on in-box reviews, they can be devisive and misleading.

• 3 weeks later...

For Memory Lane this is a 5 Star Winner.

A good little title to have on your bookshelf. Highly Recommended

Some of my fav's

A W Siskin

H P Victor

Wellesley

Piston Provost

T55

Buccaneer

Hunter T7

Meteor

T2 Buckeye

Skynight

Beaufighter

Lightning

The Oh Dear ones!

RAF Phantom

Sea Harrier

Jaguar

TF-104 and and

Adrian

My boy has the same author's book on Airfix soldiers. Very interesting, but some of the translation could be better. You don't get the impression it was proofed by a native English speaker.

John

Edited by John

My boy has the same author's book on Airfix soldiers. Very interesting, but some of the translation could be better. You don't get the impression it was proofed by a native English speaker.

John

Got this one at the same time.

Translation aside now this did bring back happy childhood memories.

Wonder where some of the sets went inc the Civi & animal stuff?

Adrian

Got this one at the same time.

Translation aside now this did bring back happy childhood memories.

Wonder where some of the sets went inc the Civi & animal stuff?

Adrian

I think some civilian figures went to Dapol when this company bought the 00 scale railway accessories from Airfix. Not sure if all ended there or what though.