Tamiya Jaguar XJR-9LM (1:24)

Trying to work out whats going on in that photo...? I agree though, needs to be 4 wheels on the ground.

I'd just glued the engine in, and the blocks are holding it in place while I double checked the axle heights side to side with the vernier.

Thanks guys and girls.

Scratchbuilt the final few rear suspension elements, and the fuel filler neck brackets. Just need some paint and p/e covers now:

kxf3FwLb.jpg

Engines fixed in place, and 90% of the wiring and pipework is fitted:

t6qg0ZTB.jpg

8xCSv7q0.jpg

I need to finish this now, not least because I'm damaging bits through handling them in order to test fit the dozens of scratchbilt bits.

Brilliant work mate. Look forward to seeing it finished! You got anything else on the cards once it's done? :)

Thanks - I'm happy wit it - pretty much - so far.

I've got loads to do after this one. Next up will be my ancient AT-AT rebuild - should be quick, then either a Wingnut Wings SE5a, or a Sauber C9 or the Top Studio McLaren MP4/4. Probably the SE5a next - it's got a nice engine to fiddle with!

Bloody lovely. A real showstopper and clearly a labour of love.

Top drawer stuff.

Thanks Skii - I like modelling mechanical things, so it's enjoyable for me (most of the time!). I must admit though Iwill be glad when I can prctice more weathering on an aircraft, or the AT-AT rebuild.

There seemed to be something missing from the tyres, so I put some chalk markings on the sidewalls: L, R and arrows, Set3 and some rotation check lines. I also added some bare metal foil strips to simulate the duct tape commonly placed over the balance weights. The decals were shiny, and I was undecided how to remedy it. Despite some dire warnings from the Britmodeller experts, I went ahead and sprayed Humbrol Matt #49 over them. It worked fine. Much happier with them now:

tMz9crYK.jpg

Also had to re-create the rear bodywork stays that were removed from the floorpan to facilitate carbon decalling. Small details, but they make a difference:

H4GqklRQ.jpg

There are a few more details to scratch build, then the exhusts, then final assembly. I think.

Exhaust done. It looks better in daylight. Citadel Chainmail + Shining Gold, preshaded black and then Tamiya Clear Blue over the joints and bends. Brackets & expansion joints scrap photo-etch. About 50% of it gets covered by a heat shield :

MWrlSdVm.jpg

An incredible amount of detail squeezed in to this project, it leaves me a little in awe and a little jealous of your skill.looking forward to seeing this complete. I must try some of the citadel colours, they seem to add more realism to the metal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Made these today out of aluminium tube and some photo etch sheet. Not sure what they are, but they're mounted on the vertical parts of the inner wheelarches immediately in front of the rear tyres. They are fed by an air duct from a NACA duct on the sides of the car. Anyone know what they are? Maybe a tyre sensor of some kind?

rVdvJnXj.jpg

And scratchbuilt some tyre valves. They rarely seem to get included in models, so I made these out of micro brass tube and brass rod cyano'd together. Still need a bit of clean up before drilling a hole in the rims. They look a bit big here, but they are about right when set into the wheels:

OElHaQMr.jpg

The ducts to the rear wheels were for temperature probes during 24hr racing, i had the chance to photograph JD classics XJR-9 when they repaired the gearbox due to a mis shift (went for 3rd got 1st) most xjr9's don't use the probes any more, the photo etch sets that you are using all have faults with their design in that they are inaccurate in various places, i also managed to get a set of now OOP S&S specialities phot etch and ram pipes in aluminium and even their design of etch is not correctis not quite correct, note also none of the sets have the alternator cover.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi

is it possible to get a set of your build/scratch build parts pictures as i have 7 kits in my stash.

regards Mick

Mick,

How do you mean? All the pictures are on this thread AFAIK.

• 9 months later...

Dont know if anyone has said but the tube ahead of the rear wheel fed from the side duct is to cool the inner lip of the rear tyres, its very rudimental but worked fantastically

• Like 1