Spitfire Colours BOB

I've just used Vallejo Air Dark Green and Earth brown on the top of my Spitfire Mk.1a and they seem to me to be too dark.... more like the RAF bomber green and brown. What do folks use (1:72 scale) for that lighter brown/green which seems much more orange in hue and brighter in tone than the bomber colours.

I'm asking because my Tamiya and Xtracylic paints also look the same as the Vallejo.

Paint brand & number/description would be very helpful, thanks in advance.

Simon

I use the same paint. There was only one Dark Earth and one Dark Green. But I know what you mean about them looking like different shades on different aircraft. I suspect this is due to weathering and colour reproduction.

Fast - for my buid speed at least - approaching the same point myself Louise but will most likely be using Humbrol enamels. Perhaps if you find the colours a little dark they can be be lightened by dry-brushing with a slightly lighter shade to give a slightly weathered look on a well used machine?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies, I guess that just shows how difficult it is to judge colours from old photographs and such like.

Especially dodgy old colour photos which have changed in hue over the years and which were never really spot on even when taken back in the 40s. Just use them as a guideline and do what you want with your models!