where can I get clear styrene to heat and smash-vac?

yeehah1

18 06 11

Guys, I was hoping you might be able to advise me on this but I am looking for clear styrene that I can heat and smash-vac ( or plunge-vac) to make a canopy for a rather over-sized model I am making. I know the Squadron stuff is no longer produced but I was hoping someone could recomend something similar that I could use.

Thanks in advance

Liam

I've been stockpiling clear packaging for just that purpose but I've wondered, is all clear packaging created equal or should I keep an eye out for a particular recycle symbol, ie, the number in the triangle?

Steve.

• Like 1

20 06 11

Thanks for the reply guys. But to be clear, what I want to do is NOT vac-forming as such. I don't have the means to do that. What I intend to do is to heat the plastic and then thump it down over a master I have created, hopefully making the canopy I need. I have a tiny section of the stuff Squadron used to sell ( donated by a mate .. the last of his stockpile) and am looking for more or similar in case I make a muck of it.

I never thought of the clear front of cd jewel cases. That's the clear plastic front of the hard cases, right? Not the floppy see-through envelope types?

Hmmmmm.

Liam

If you're using the material for a canopy, then the clear plastic used in packaging works fine.

Now as to which one works best, some tests are recommended, as not all clear plastic was created equal. Acetate is the best, and is the same material used in "commercial" vacuformed canopies. PET on the other hand does not work, or better I never managed to use it succesfully. Acetate is used in several applications and can be bought in sheets. A brand new sheet will always be better than a recycled shirt box. Transparencies for projections are sometimes in this material, might be worth checking an office supply shop.

The technique you mention is named "crash moulding". It works fine if the shape is not too complicated.

One thing about vacuforming: a rudimentary machine can be built very easily ! I have one that uses a vacuum cleaner to provide vacuum. Heat is not generated in the machine but I need to heat the plastic externally. Crude but does the job !

20 06 11

Thanks for the reply guys. But to be clear, what I want to do is NOT vac-forming as such. I don't have the means to do that. What I intend to do is to heat the plastic and then thump it down over a master I have created, hopefully making the canopy I need. I have a tiny section of the stuff Squadron used to sell ( donated by a mate .. the last of his stockpile) and am looking for more or similar in case I make a muck of it.

I never thought of the clear front of cd jewel cases. That's the clear plastic front of the hard cases, right? Not the floppy see-through envelope types?

Hmmmmm.

Liam

I had a similar need a little while ago too, and searched through some of the old posts on here. I found a very nice gent called John,who's member name is tigger. I got several sheets of .5mm and 1mm clear styrene off of him-it is crystal clear and plunge moulds really well-I tried various packaging ,and CD case plastic,but would have to say that the plastic I got from tigger was far better than anything else. I also glazed a large dolls house with it for my wife,it is crystal clear,easy to cut,and doesn't seem to be affected by static charges and dust the way a lot of this stuff is.

I have no connection with the chap,just a very satisfied customer,and apart from the high cost of posting it here due to its weight it was very good value.If you are in the Uk this won't be a problem I would think.

Hope that helps

mtd

John - Tigger actually does a bit of vacforming himself, and I think once offered to help out with people's ad hoc requirements on a commercial basis... I might be wrong there though, but no harm in asking :)

I built myself a vacforming platform once as a test - I built a box from wood, with lots of holes cut in the top, and a large hole for a cheap vacuum cleaner to plug into . Then make a double frame that slips over the box and can be bolted together with wingnuts. Use that to hold the sheet, which you can either heat in the over or with a hot-air stripper gun, then drop the frame over the box with the vacuum cleaner switched on & see how it goes ;)

John - Tigger actually does a bit of vacforming himself, and I think once offered to help out with people's ad hoc requirements on a commercial basis... I might be wrong there though, but no harm in asking :)

I built myself a vacforming platform once as a test - I built a box from wood, with lots of holes cut in the top, and a large hole for a cheap vacuum cleaner to plug into . Then make a double frame that slips over the box and can be bolted together with wingnuts. Use that to hold the sheet, which you can either heat in the over or with a hot-air stripper gun, then drop the frame over the box with the vacuum cleaner switched on & see how it goes ;)

Sorry,couldn't remember if it was a big or little T in Tigger. bugger. :)

There are lots of problems with clear plastics, not least that some become brittle with age, while others discolour badly.

PETG appears to be the best option, it moulds easily and supposedly stays clear over time. None of mine has been around long enough to verify the latter, but it's formed well enough for me.

PETG may be used in packaging, I've not done enough research in that area. I buy mine from Bay Plastics, but I don't know how that would work out for small quantities,

Cheers,

Bill.

Edited by Heraldcoupe

• 4 years later...

Having just stumbled across this thread, is there a maximum size people have successfully crash moulded? I asked because I acquired a set of vacuform bulged bomb bay doors for a Mosquito in 1:48 so I can make B IV's that carried 4,000lb bombs. I've only got one and I had been thinking about trying to duplicate it. However I don't want to start and then ruin it and not be able to copy it!

Look for the K&S range in an aero modelllers outlet they have a product called Buterite, better than sytrene for heat/crash/vac-form moulding.

Colin