Harrier GR7/9 Revell 1/48

Afternoon all, I have finally got round to starting my Harrier for the group build. As luck would have it Airfix Model World ran a few build articles on the Harrier and the Hasegawa kit seems to be very similar to the revell one which I have and hence the article has been very useful so far. First the kit and the plan

IMG_0724.jpg

and the Brimstones

IMG_0740.jpg

The photo in the picture shows ZD319 fully loaded with Brimstones at BAE Dunsfold. Before Top Gear and the Stig got their hands on the airfield it was used for Harrier production and development flying. I was a lucky student just before it closed and got to spend the summer working with the team on this jet repeatedly jettisoning the Brimstones and their launcher from the various pylons into a pit, recording how they left the pylon when jettisoned (not fired) using a high speed camera. Some clever folk where then able to analyse this and project where the weapon would go when the aircraft was flying to avoid any of those embarrassing jettison trial videos occurring to the jet when it came time to fly the store. I am hoping to eventually build the whole diaroma using this harrier but for now I will try and do the starboard side as the photo and the port side with just one launcher and one rocket with the other two on a weapons trolley. Depending on how time goes with this and the hawk build I may get time to build the asphalt and the pit aswell we'll have to see. So on with the build...

The ejector seat on its way

IMG_0737.jpg

Fuselage and fan (with infamous B3 removed now its all set)

IMG_0738.jpg

and as it stands today with some of the completed sub assemblies

IMG_0741.jpg

I have a couple of hours today to crack on with some other bits so hopefully I'll get the wing on and get going with the cockpit and nose assembly. So far though with the exception of the fiddly nose fan and intake segments this kit has been good fun. Its my first 48th jet and I look forward to a few more (at least they are in the stash ready to be built).

Question: has anyone else built this kit and did you need to put any weight in the nose before i close it up. I think i might get away with it although a little can never do any harm?

Thanks for reading, if I got any info wrong feel free to correct it I worked on the project for 2 months and then not again and that was back in 1999 (its in a hangar now awaiting its fate... and the other aircraft I worked on are in museums how times change in 12 years)

• 2 weeks later...

Well some more progress. After much dry fitting the wings and B3 have been added

IMG_0742.jpg

And the cockpit and nose cone are on too

IMG_0745.jpg

Brimstones and their launchers have been scrubbed, primed and started on

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Finally the intakes have been added, the pods underneath and a few of the antennae have been added and the beast is now ready for some filler and the first coat of primer. Brimstones have received a base coat of yellow and i will start working on the black and the nose cone soon.

IMG_0761.jpg

Hope you like and any advice is very gladly received. Adding a couple of parts a day has helped make progress a bit faster than normal. Any tricks on painting and adding the final touches, refuelling probe, u/c and the various gates underneath would be greatly appreciated. I had planned on doing the aircraft as it currently stands. Paint the horizontal stabs then attach them. Paint the pylons and attach those, finish the Brimstones off and kit out the required pylons and then paint and use PVA to attach the various other parts in order to not mess up the humbrol paints (enamels) on the main fuselage. And then onto the canopy and that lovely panel line to sort out. As far as I can tell this should be the best way but as I say this is my first jet so am fairly new to all these aerials etc and the best way to attach them

Cheers for looking

Graham

Looking good. Nice choice of subject.

Watch out for the seat though - the kit only comes with the US Stencel seat. If you're not going to replace it, its still worth chopping off the safe lever to make it look a little more like a Martin-Baker.

What's your plan for the photo targets? I seem to recall a company selling scale decals of them on ebay.

Cheers for the tip with the seat I hadn't noticed that one. Just did a quick google search and see what you mean scalpel to the ready then I think some masking tape seat belts should make it look the part. The kit comes with a lot of the decals I need and the ones not in there like the reg and the targets I was planning on getting made when i got round to it. I have seen a chap on here who has already done this aircraft in one of its later schemes so i was going to see if he still had the parts i need left. Watch this space.

• 1 month later...

Having finished the Hawk GB I cleaned up the desk and would you believe it this Harrier part built was under everything. This is all primed now and ready for painting which I might get started tomorrow hopefully.

IMG_0855.jpg

More pics to follow as colour gets added

Cheers

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Quick post with a few more piccies of the last couple of days progress. First the brimstones.... the bain of this build

First the caps were painted

IMG_0862.jpg

Then the black fins were painted

IMG_0873.jpg

And now all 12 await drying before the rest of the rocket is chequered (Hmm dodgy spelling but it is getting late).

IMG_0874.jpg

Then a similar process with the launchers

IMG_0863.jpg

The seat is now complete and ready to take its place

IMG_0866.jpg

The undercarriage is well on its way to being completed

IMG_0864.jpg

The jet itself has had a first coat of paint underneath and is awaiting a couple more before masking and starting on the top surface

IMG_0876.jpg

And finally the pylons are also receiving a couple of coats of paint before being added to the wings. So hopefully by chipping away a little each night this one should be done in just under 10 days ready to take its place in the gallery (Then I start on the second part of this build to put it on a base with the pit in it from the original build idea). Thanks for looking and please any advice is always much appreciated.

Graham

Looks like this will be another cutting it fine GB finish but the final coat of paint has been "hairy sticked" onto the jet and hopefully some time tomorrow evening or thursday I will be able to put the finishing touches to this build and add the decals. I have been a bit slack on ordering some of these but hopefully they may make it here in time if not then I'll add them when they do along with the rest of the Brimstones (those i may struggle to paint properly on time)

Here is a couple of pics of how she lies tonight

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

Micro mesh also arrived today so hopefully i'll get to fix the big line through the middle of the canopy and windscreen before finishing off the model. Hoping also to make the MDC out of some thin wire rather than use the decal seen it done on a few jets on here and it looks pretty good so we'll see how that all goes

goodnight for now thanks for looking

Graham

Enjoyed watching your progress with this one Graham and got to admire your patience on all those identical Brimstones.

Not trying to be cheeky but those last couple shots do look a little like a hard landing diorama :lol:

Enjoyed watching your progress with this one Graham and got to admire your patience on all those identical Brimstones.

Not trying to be cheeky but those last couple shots do look a little like a hard landing diorama :lol:

After starting painting all those Brimstones my neck and back felt the same too, hopefully it will be all worth it when finished :lol:

I'll put some more pics up later but my list of jobs is too big to finish today. It will be nearly complete but having got this far i don't want to rush and ruin it...... For this Harrier the build is over..

Edited by Graham77

Here are the last few pics for this GB, I'll move this build off to the diorama section and start adding all the extra bits to complete the scene.

Had a slightly longer session than I planned tonight and got her a bit closer to complete than I thought I would. Firstly the Brimstone Launchers in the various stages of painting, I've nearly finished all four of these and have pylons for all of them to go on although they still need a quick wash to bring out some of the detail.

IMG_0901.jpg

Finally the aircraft as she stands at the moment, got lots of decals put on but sadly seem to have lots more to go and am afraid I may start taking the ones on there off if I try and add any more at the moment.

IMG_0904.jpg

Hopefully with this rate of progress this jet will be finished soon and then I can set about making the scene for it to live in. Thanks for all the comments and to the Doug and Stephen for running the GB.

Cheers

Graham

• 2 years later...