Jaguar GR3 Airfix 1/48

After my Airfix Buccaneer build, which is nearly finished, I thought I'd do a nice easy OOB build, so would it be the AFV Club F-5 or the Eduard MIG-21 I have waiting to be built? Nah, think I'll do the Airfix Jag I've had stashed away for 6 years, why oh why!?

Well, wish me luck and feel free to give me the heads up about anything waiting to trip me up, apart from of course the soft warped plastic and poor detail! I've bought some Paragon bits, Neomega pit and some MA Decals which I might use but not sure yet, thinking about a 6 or 41 Sqn instead.

180611025.jpg

And the Neomega pit, already primed.

180611015.jpg

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1

Cheers Houston, you don't have to wait long, I started a few days ago so here's where I'm up to............

Cockpit painted using various shades of black and a coating of Flory Models white wash. I have the Paragon seats too but decided to use the Neomega one as the castings a lot crisper, although it's not a very accurate Mk9, oxygen bottle and other equipment appear to be on the wrong side but won't really be seen.

180611019-1.jpg

Fitted in along with the gear bay which I forgot to take photos off!

180611020.jpg

And all together not a bad fit at all.

180611023.jpg

Here's a wee preview of my currently stalled Buccaneer build, nearly finished, just waiting on some inspiration for the ejection seat handles and sorting out the underwing stores.

180611026.jpg

Looking good! I will send you those instructions for the pit if you still need them?

Are you stuck for something to make the ejection handles from? I have just the thing! Drop me a PM and I'll explain! Be a shame to leave such a nice looking kit unfinished!!

Phil

Looking good! I will send you those instructions for the pit if you still need them?

Are you stuck for something to make the ejection handles from? I have just the thing! Drop me a PM and I'll explain! Be a shame to leave such a nice looking kit unfinished!!

Phil

Hi Phil

Yes, I need to find out where the two parts go that are like some sort of pipe work, next to the control stick in the above photo, maybe on the rear bulkhead or inside the canopy? Pm sent regarding the handles.

Col

Thanks, photo's of the Bucc will hopefully be up shortly.

Muzz

Nice looking model always had a soft spot for the jaguar.... looking forward to the 1/32 one when it come to go with my

tornado and buccaneer.

fantastic build keep the pictures coming..

Muzz,

No I did not wait too long...Phewef!!!

The Buccaneer is looking fantastic and the

work on the Jaguar is very imrpessive in deed..the cockpit et al

is SUPERB and very well done Sir..

Keee it up and the Jaguar will be as AWESOME as the GORGEOUS Buccaneer..

Keep on modeling

HOUSTON... :cowboy::pilot:

Edited by HOUSTON

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, an update, not had much time at the moment but here's where it's at.............

The neomega nosewheel bay with some added scratch, the gun bays have also been added and drilled out, still need tidying up;

180611027.jpg

Some plasic tabs added to fill gaps that would show when the main wings fitted;

180611029.jpg

Main wing on, some filler required;

180611031.jpg

My plan to deal with the intakes, plastic card cut to shape and fitted to fill the auxiliary doors, not sure how they'll turn out;

180611032.jpg

Should have a bit of time on my hands so next update hopefully sooner rather than later but got a bit of filling and sanding to do now!

• 3 weeks later...

Another update on the build, which is going a tad slowly! Most of the filling and sandings done now (I hope!) so hopefully things should progress. Anyway here's where I'm up to...........

Filling in the auxilary intake doors, so they appear flush in the static position. Used thin plastic card to fill and sanded smooth.

180611036.jpg

Made the vents at the rear of the lower fuselage with spare bits of PE I had lying around, the kit pieces are just solid bits of plastic.

180611037.jpg

180611039.jpg

180611038.jpg

The paragon cannon bulges and flare dispensors fitted.

180611040.jpg

Just about ready to start putting the camo down but still not sure what scheme to do!

Edited by Muzz

Good to see this one continue. What decal choices do you have? Always prefered the early grey/green over grey myself but not suitable for a GR.3...

Edited by Col.

Good to see this one continue. What decal choices do you have? Always prefered the early grey/green over grey myself but not suitable for a GR.3...

Thanks Col, things are going a bit slower than I would like. I've got decals for 16 & 54 Sqn aircraft in special markings but fancy doing something different, have just noticed that aircraft deployed to Norway in 2005 in winter camo so going to do a bit more research into this!

Thanks Col, things are going a bit slower than I would like. I've got decals for 16 & 54 Sqn aircraft in special markings but fancy doing something different, have just noticed that aircraft deployed to Norway in 2005 in winter camo so going to do a bit more research into this!

Ooh now that would look cool! Sure one of the squadron websites had a good sellection of photos from their deployments there but lost the link last time my computer crashed. There was also an all-over white machine going around for a short while but can't recall if that was a GR.1 or 3 now.

Yeh, seen a few shots of the all white GR1 it was for an excercise in 90/91.

Here's a few more update shots, the air intakes are on, a bit of sanding and filling was required, quite a bad fit!

180611041.jpg

180611042.jpg

Nearly ready for the first coat of paint. Have opened up the intake above the canopy.

180611043.jpg

180611044.jpg

• 3 months later...

An update on the build, these are a few weeks old but couldn't get them uploaded, a slow build as usual for me! The two greys are on, used Xtracrylix Dark Camo Grey and Gunze Dark Sea Grey, the Gunze went on great and the Xtracrylix went on ok, have had problems with it since though as I sprayed a coat of goss varnish on a day or so later and the Xtracrylix reacted to it, cracked and lifted, was well p*$$#@ off! Had to sand it back and re-apply then brushed on some Windsor Newton gloss varnish just to be on the safe side!

185.jpg

188.jpg

191.jpg

The next pic is a sign of whats to come, had a wee shot of putting the white down trying different brands etc, was semi successful but realised I'd need more masking tape and decided to go with Tamiya flat white.

194.jpg

Edited by Muzz

Some more shots with the winter camo revealed, was really happy with how the finish of the greys had turned out so I was a little nervous about adding the white and spoiling the whole model but luckily its turned out not too bad at all, probably would have prefered the demarcation lines between the white and the grey to be a bit softer but it'll do for me.

195.jpg

196.jpg

And the masking tape off (my favorite bit of modeling I think!) to reveal............

197.jpg

199.jpg

200.jpg

I've covered it in a coat of gloss varnish and going to start putting some decals on tonight. The metal pitot tubes been fitted and I'm also currently working on the SAC undercarriage.

She's looking good. I like your alternator cooling ducts BTW :)

My biggest gripe, looking at many 1/48th Jags is the incorrect panel lines - I'll leave it at that unless you really want to know......

Cheers for the comments guys, got some decals down last night and planning to get cracked on with it today.

No, don't want to know about the panel lines, even if I knew about them beforehand I probably wouldn't change them as I'm rubbish at scribing and always make a mess of it! ;)