Revell Lynx SH-14D 1/72 Dutch Navy

Hi

Here is my second Lynx - this time the Revell (Matchbox) kit, using the supplied decals. I am not 100% convinced that it depicts the SH-14D model, though.

It is generally a nice kit, the major fault being the uncompressed landing gear, but I decided not to butcher it to make it sit properly.

I added some leftover PE from my Airfix HMA.8 build in the form of seat belts and the various antenna on the tail boom. I also added the airfix canvas seats to the main cabin, and the spare cyclic and rudder pedals from the Airfix kit. Unfortunately, though, the main doors cannot be posed open with major surgery to the door and fuselage. Various reference pictures showed this particular airframe with and without the tail skid and flotation bags, but I decided to add them for extra interest. The sponson bags are pieces of kitchen foil and those on the forward fuselage are cut-down and shaped missile nose cones, painted Humbrol 2. I also added the navigation lights on the forward fuselage and the grossly over-scale towel rails under the rear fuselage (which I think I will remove.)

I have made some silly mistakes on this one, and managed to drop it when applying the Klear, resulting in a broken nose cone, that will not now fit properly.

I brush-painted her Humbrol 144 Intermediate Blue over Humbrol 90 Beige Green. This was followed by Klear to the fuselage, W&N Satin Varnish to the blades and W&N Matt Varnish to the anti-glare panel on the nose nad non-slip panels. I then applied a Raw Umber pin wash to the (limited) fuselage detailing.

DutchLynx5.jpg

DutchLynx4.jpg

DutchLynx3.jpg

DutchLynx2.jpg

DutchLynx1.jpg

DutchLynx.jpg

And here she is with my Airfix HMA.8 (which I prefer despite the hideously ugly nose!)

lynxes.jpg

I love the Lynx and I can't understand why I have never finished a model of one yet

both of these are lovely

See what you mean about the undercart compression, very obvious

B U T

the models? bloomin' smashing

thanks

better have the Lynx on my future-but-not-too-far- future list

Very nice model, and the Royal Navy one too :speak_cool:

I saw a pair of Dutch Lynx's just like your model come in at RNAS Culdrose whilst on holiday last week which was cool; along with Merlins, Sea Kings, a Beechcraft aircraft and Hawks

Edited by Hypnobear

A lovely neat Lynx excellent work

• 3 weeks later...

I remember the Matchbox Lynx costing 75p when I first glued my fingerprints all over it. My good lady bought me a Revell one a few years ago as a daft Xmas gizzit (job related theme) and quietly disposed of it as quickly as possible. Would never have the patience to do a Lynx to that standard. Nice one. Now a Wessex on the other hand....

That is a really nice Lynx. It just goes to show that with some honest-to-goodness modelling skill, a mediocre kit can look stunning. The earliest versions of the Lynx are still the best-looking.

BM.

Excellent Lynx, dont often see Dutch Aircraft.

Hi everyone

Thanks again for all your compliments. The Revell kit is still quite nice despite it's age. I struggled most with the cockpit glass because the whole front section is supplied as a clear part and masking is not my forte! In the end, I didn't mask at all and did some of the framing freehand but using painted decal strip where I could.

I was at the Yeovilton Air Day last weekend which was celebrating 40 years of the Lynx but was disappointed to find that there was no Dutch Lynx on display. The Dutch Apache more than made up for it, though by using lots of flares in it's display!