1:350 scale submarines

I have added a few more 1:350 scale subs to my growing collection.

HMS Astute SSN - the Hobby Boss kit...

HMS%20Astute_01.JPG

HMS%20Astute_02.JPG

Russian Kilo Class SSK - Bronco Models kit.

Kilo350_01.JPG

Kilo350_02.JPG

USS Gato (1941) - AVF Club kit....

USS%20Gato_01.JPG

USS%20Gato_02.JPG

USS Virginia SSN - Bronco Models kit.....

USS%20Virginia350_01.jpg

USS%20Virginia350_02.jpg

More photos here - plus some of my 1:700 submarine collection

Ken

• Like 1

All rather nice, could you share any tips on how you weathered the Astute please?

Hi Richard,

Nothing spectacular....

I use Halfords rattle can car sprays on them - in this case Volvo Dark Grey - which gives an almost black glossy finish (black is too stark)

Then on go the decals - followed by a coat of Kleer to seal them in.

I then tried for the first time Pro Modeller wash - choosing the 'Light Dirt' for contrast against the black hull - this went into all the 'panel lines'.

Then I used another rattle can - this time 'Purity Seal' from Games Workshop - this is a satin clear varnish - which gives a semi-matt overall finish.

Then I use a couple of pastel pencils ground onto a piece of emery - giving brown and black powder.

This is streaked onto the hull vertically - I also used Tamiya weathering powders to make the side sonars stand out a bit more.

It all sounds very complicated - but believe me, I just slapped it all on.....

Halfords Red Plastic Primer is used for the anti-fouling red on the Kilo and Gato lower hulls (the Gato upper hull is brush-painted Humbrol Panzer Grey)

The figures are added to give a sense of scale - from a set of Tamiya 1:350 scale Japanese Navy figures - suitably 'converted' B)

Ken

Nice collection....! The figures are cool..........

SubCheers,

ggc

• 4 months later...
Hi Richard,

Nothing spectacular....

I use Halfords rattle can car sprays on them - in this case Volvo Dark Grey - which gives an almost black glossy finish (black is too stark)

lovely work Ken..I'm a big fan too of Halfords Volvo Dark Grey - its great for any 'weathered' black and goes on superbly - I use it for props, tyres and any overall 'black' finish...

• 5 months later...
Can you confirm that the USS Virginia is a Bronco model, I have tried everywhere but cannot find any reference to it!!!

Regards,

weinace :please:

I didn't think Bronco had done a Virginia, but HobbyBoss certainly have and it's been reviewed HERE

Nice jobs there.

As a former sub builder I say they look the part.

Rumor is the new Astute boxing comes with a section of Scottish beach, and a desk as it was the next thing the Captain got to drive ;):wicked:

Can I suggest for the keel blocks where the sub does not touch them you make some tapered blocks of wood and push them together from the outside in to touch the hull. Would give a fair representation of what we actually did on the slip ways.

Julien (former shipwright / draughtsman / loftsman)

• 1 month later...

Looooove the Astute

but they are all good

and thanks for explaining your paint method

more, more, more !!!!

cheers

Norm