Avro Lancaster 1:48 Tamiya

It's nice to see photos of the build next to the reference material, it's a very close match and shows just how successful you've been. A real high point for me (excuse the pun) was the scratch-built scaffolding tower, erected in double-quick time.

Many thanks for a very entertaining thread

Andy

You are welcome Andy, it was a pleasure writing it.

It's really useful to have detailed feedback like this, I will continue to include reference photos in future builds.

The scaffolding tower, once I had found a reference photo to work from, was great fun and remarkably easy to do. I'll be making a lot more things like that.

I just received the following as a personal message, which is why I haven't included the sender's name. I guess the sender refrained from an open posting to avoid embarrassment to me. I appreciate the consideration, although it wasn't really necessary.

Hello Don,

May I say how much I've enjoyed following your build of the Lancaster in the Bomber thread: as a 1/48th scale modeller who also does aviation research I really appreciate and understand how much effort you have put into what is clearly an inspirational model.

It therefore seems churlish to point out a couple of mistakes (which are Tamiya's in fact because the instruction are wrong!!) concerning the rear turret. The "A" frame supporting the guns on either side should be the other way round, ie the vertical member is furthest away from the gunner and therefore nearest the glazing. The arrangement of the guns themselves also seems wrong, the outboard gun on each side should be above the inner whereas yours appears to be the opposite. I hope you've also noticed that Tamiya show the covers for the heating vents facing the wrong way under the wings, they're just outboard of the fuselage and near the leading edge of the wings. They are vents, with the outlet facing aft, and not "scoops" facing forward!

I hope you don't mind me pointing these things out to you, it's not meant in any way to detract from what is an excellent build from start to finish!!

Regards

On the rear turret configuration, he's dead right. I've checked my references and it's now really obvious. I missed it because I copied both of the Tamiya errors on p.3 of the instructions. If you are building this kit SWAP THE GUN MOUNTING FRAMES IN THE REAR TURRET (B38 &B39) PORT FOR STARBOARD AND TURN THE GUN BREECH UNIT (B41) UPSIDE DOWN COMPARED TO THE DRAWING.

800px-Avro_Lancaster_VR-A_tail_turret_2.jpg

I can't (be bothered to (lol)) find a picture of the heating vents under the wings in my books or by a cursory internet search as they are always in shadow, but this guy seems to have a keen eye for detail so I'm inclined to believe him, so: HAVING FOUND A PHOTOGRAPH OR VISITED HENDON (JUST TO BE SURE) INSTALL B61 THE OTHER WAY ROUND IN STEP 8 ON PAGE 5 OF THE INSTRUCTIONS. This seems to be a moulders error rather than the instruction writer as the part has two locating pips.

Will I correct mine? In the immortal words of 'Lauren Cooper',

"Am I bovvered? Am I? Do I look bovvered? Is this the face of a bovvered person? Do you really think I'm bovvered?"

No. Once I declare something finished, I never return. In fact I never even repair.

Excellent build and well written article.

I'd be bothered to fix this one though.

Colin

Nah, it would take ages and lots of treasure. The turret halves would have to be sawn apart as they were cemented in place and I'd probably

bust them and have to buy another Lanc for the spares. Never mind, it will give the pernickety show-goers something to make them happy.

I wonder what the general Britmodeller feeling is about a case like this?

Would you fix it, probably by buying an expensive replacement, or would you say "I've moved on from that" and declare the dio good enough?

If anyone has a spare rear turret which they might donate, could I be persuaded to have a go? Maybe, but then again, all that masking!

Sorry I missed the end of this build, it is truly a work of art. I love the execution of the diorama and the amount of effort you've put into getting the details right. Superb work!

I would say "moved on" definitely!

I think 9/10 viewers of the models wouldn't notice (I wouldn't and didn't!)

Andy

I think you are right. They will all be looking at the figures and the big hole in the side anyway.

That, sir, is an absolutely stunning model. A very big congratulations :D

Thanks mate.

Sorry I missed the end of this build, it is truly a work of art. I love the execution of the diorama and the amount of effort you've put into getting the details right. Superb work!

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been very annonomously following this build for a while now Don and I must admit that at first i thought that you were crazy in the not so good way.That having been said I must now eat those thoughts this is one of the most stunning builds that I have seen in a very very lOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time congrats mate!

As for the fixing of the turret argh just forget it!When you are done with a thing you are done and should never return to do it over!I have made some serious mistakes inmy life but not one day has passed that I wanted to change anything!If this is the way that you live then why bother with something as trivial as a upside down 48th scale Vickers eh??

Regards:

Shaun

I have been very annonomously following this build for a while now Don and I must admit that at first i thought that you were crazy in the not so good way.That having been said I must now eat those thoughts this is one of the most stunning builds that I have seen in a very very lOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time congrats mate!

As for the fixing of the turret argh just forget it!When you are done with a thing you are done and should never return to do it over!I have made some serious mistakes inmy life but not one day has passed that I wanted to change anything!If this is the way that you live then why bother with something as trivial as a upside down 48th scale Vickers eh??

Regards:

Shaun

"Je ne regret rien!" or something like that. I agree with you Shaun, I am concentrating on the present thing not worrying about the past.

Don, a great build, excellent thread, superb detail, everything..... tremendous old chap and dam well written. With regards to the errors i agree move on we have all made them weather from kit/instruction problem or plain brain failure, nah tis a beut mate not to be messed with and a footnote to the rest of us if/when we make the same kit .

gruffers :thumbsup2:

Don, a great build, excellent thread, superb detail, everything..... tremendous old chap and dam well written. With regards to the errors i agree move on we have all made them weather from kit/instruction problem or plain brain failure, nah tis a beut mate not to be messed with and a footnote to the rest of us if/when we make the same kit .

gruffers :thumbsup2:

Well thanks very much for that most positive review. It means a lot to me and

I have actually begun to believe the comments I have received. lol.

I think many of us are very critical of our own work at times, possibly because

we know where all the little lapses of concentration and slips of the paintbrush

are! I hadn't looked at the build, which lives in its box under the bed, for weeks

so I'd had a chance to forget those annoying little details when I opened it up to

amend the caption last week. I was pretty impressed! I have finally made

something that I can honestly say I'm proud of.

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem

I took this dio to a very quiet Sutton Coldfield show yesterday where it seemed to be popular with the visitors. Against my better judgement was persuaded to enter the comp, but since there's no separate class for aircraft dioramas it was eclipsed by Custer's Last Stand in 54mm figures and other 'human-heavy', large scale entries. Never mind though. I don't really embrace the competitive spirit in this hobby. 'Show and tell' is more my thing, not 'exam time'.

Also, I won't be going to Telford this year despite what I said earlier. There won't be a BM table so I wont be able to display the Lanc (it's too big to carry arouond all day. Lol.). Sorry.

That's an outstanding dio you've got there. I'm sorry to hear that it won't be seen at SMW, I'd love to have seen it

"in the plastic".Definitely inspirational work there, and a brave man to cut up a Tamiya Lanc in that way. . .

(Must have balls of steel the size of coconuts!)

That's an outstanding dio you've got there. I'm sorry to hear that it won't be seen at SMW, I'd love to have seen it

"in the plastic".Definitely inspirational work there, and a brave man to cut up a Tamiya Lanc in that way. . .

(Must have balls of steel the size of coconuts!)

Cheers Gaz. But brave? What was the risk to me? Only a waste of £40. Not really brave then, confident perhaps? Anyway, I'm glad you liked it.

Fantastic Sir!

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

I know some of you wanted to critique this piece at Telford. I wasn't planning to go

as BM won't have a table, but another solution occurred to me. I'll enter it into the

Aircraft Diorama Competition instead. That way you can at least have a look even

if I won't be sitting next to it to chat to you. I'll bring "The Bit Left Over" and "The

Colonel's Displeasure" as well if you like.

Come to think of it, now I'm an IPMS member I think can enter it at The Lincolnshire

Model Club's Expo 2011. That's October 16th 2011 at Southwell Racecourse, Rolleston,

Notts, NG25 0TS. It's a good little show, I've visited it before. (They have a 'wet' bar!)

• 2 weeks later...

hello per, I was given a link to this tread from another site, and after spending yesterday evening going through it I joined this site just so as I could congratulate you on a superb and very brave build. That's taking weathering to new heights!

Superb.

Jeff

I just received the following as a personal message, which is why I haven't included the sender's name. I guess the sender refrained from an open posting to avoid embarrassment to me. I appreciate the consideration, although it wasn't really necessary.

Hello Don,

May I say how much I've enjoyed following your build of the Lancaster in the Bomber thread: as a 1/48th scale modeller who also does aviation research I really appreciate and understand how much effort you have put into what is clearly an inspirational model.

It therefore seems churlish to point out a couple of mistakes (which are Tamiya's in fact because the instruction are wrong!!) concerning the rear turret. The "A" frame supporting the guns on either side should be the other way round, ie the vertical member is furthest away from the gunner and therefore nearest the glazing. The arrangement of the guns themselves also seems wrong, the outboard gun on each side should be above the inner whereas yours appears to be the opposite. I hope you've also noticed that Tamiya show the covers for the heating vents facing the wrong way under the wings, they're just outboard of the fuselage and near the leading edge of the wings. They are vents, with the outlet facing aft, and not "scoops" facing forward!

I hope you don't mind me pointing these things out to you, it's not meant in any way to detract from what is an excellent build from start to finish!!

Regards

On the rear turret configuration, he's dead right. I've checked my references and it's now really obvious. I missed it because I copied both of the Tamiya errors on p.3 of the instructions. If you are building this kit SWAP THE GUN MOUNTING FRAMES IN THE REAR TURRET (B38 &B39) PORT FOR STARBOARD AND TURN THE GUN BREECH UNIT (B41) UPSIDE DOWN COMPARED TO THE DRAWING.

Don

You appear to have an earlier version of the instructions - the single sheet, folded, is that correct? I had one of these kits years ago and still have the instructions. Recently I bought another one and the instructions are in the form of a stapled booklet. Comparing the two, the rear turret step (now on page 5) has been redrawn and now shows the parts in the proper alignment with the vertical strut furthest from the gunner and the outer pair of guns higher than the inner pair. So the instructions are correct in this release of the kit.

Wing vents are still wrong though.

And I'm sure it's never too late to add my voice to those praising the model. An astonishing job :clap: - but it still brings tears to my eyes to see such a beautiful aircraft end up in such a sorry state! :crying:

Don

You appear to have an earlier version of the instructions - the single sheet, folded, is that correct? I had one of these kits years ago and still have the instructions. Recently I bought another one and the instructions are in the form of a stapled booklet. Comparing the two, the rear turret step (now on page 5) has been redrawn and now shows the parts in the proper alignment with the vertical strut furthest from the gunner and the outer pair of guns higher than the inner pair. So the instructions are correct in this release of the kit.

Wing vents are still wrong though.

And I'm sure it's never too late to add my voice to those praising the model. An astonishing job :clap: - but it still brings tears to my eyes to see such a beautiful aircraft end up in such a sorry state! :crying:

Ah, it never occurred to me that the newer releases would have this error corrected. Mine was the original boxing, I believe. I Don't think it matters so much now since there can't be many people still reading this old thread, but thanks for the update anyway.

hello per, I was given a link to this tread from another site, and after spending yesterday evening going through it I joined this site just so as I could congratulate you on a superb and very brave build. That's taking weathering to new heights!

Superb.

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Sorry it's taken so long to acknowledge your post. Thankf for the praise and welcome to Britmodeller! I'm currently building a dio for the Pacific War Group Build if you would like to watch.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73833

• 4 years later...

I know its an old topic but I am just reading my way around the forum.

Liking all things BC, I know of the photo that Don has tried to model, has anybody got any pics saved or even better is Don still with us ??

I really would like to see the set-up, in the snow, that he depicted.

thanks in anticipation.

Ian