Avro Lancaster 1:48 Tamiya

...I think of myself as a builder, not a collector.

This sounds really familiar. I'm a collector of kits, builder of some of said kits (I'm buying WAY faster than building 'em) but when a kit is done I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. I gave a Centurion tank to my dad as a birthday gift cause he worked on those when he was drafted, but the rest of my post-model-building-sabbatical models have ended up on the ceiling at the local model shop.

I think of myself as a builder, not a collector.

This is the main reason why I don't have a large stash of unbuilt kits. As soon as I get them, I make a start on them.

Having said that, while I may not be a collector of unbuilt kits, I'm very reluctant to get rid of any of my finished models.

I just can't bare the thought of chucking/giving away anything that I've invested a lot of time and effort into making. I like to be able to admire the work I've put into my models, even allowing for my 'display rotation' system!

This is the main reason why I don't have a large stash of unbuilt kits. As soon as I get them, I make a start on them.

Having said that, while I may not be a collector of unbuilt kits, I'm very reluctant to get rid of any of my finished models.

I just can't bare the thought of chucking/giving away anything that I've invested a lot of time and effort into making. I like to be able to admire the work I've put into my models, even allowing for my 'display rotation' system!

It's interesting how this thread is reflecting my model's progress. I've done little this weekend because I've stopped concentrating and wandered off a lot - just like the last few entries.

Sorry for that dear readers, it's back to work for me now though. I've got an hour before I go out so I'll finish painting the Tilly.

Bye

Hi,

Just read through all of the updates, what a great idea, I really like something a little different and I'm looking forward to seeing more updates.

Dan

Aw thanks Dan, I'm enjoying the writing and it's great to have some positive feedback.

After this morning's post, I actually did paint the topsides camouflage of the Tilly before leaving for work. It's black, Mickey Mouse Ears style so I brush painted it in about ten shades of grey. I'm really pleased with the result too; it looks suitably worn and used. I think big areas of a single shade look very toy-like so I like to differentiate (?) my colours.

Interestingly, I brush painted because didn't want to bother with masking such a tiny and complex shape. I realised on the way to work that I now have the answer to painting the Lancaster too.

The big aircraft is complex shape alright, especially aft of the wings. It would look awfully unreal without the variations in hue and shade seen on the real thing. So I'll brush paint it all, adding the footprints, scuffs and scratches as I go. That will really break up the two square feet of black, green and brown. I haven't brush painted a whole aircraft fot years. In fact I'll have to buy some bigger brushes - lol.

I'll post some Tilly pictures tonight and you will see what I mean. Watch this space!

Right, here's a scruffy, brush painted Tilly...

IMG_0526.jpg

...and here's a scruffy Lancaster in a colour pic from the 40s...

Lancaster_formation_flying-px800.jpg

See what I mean about the brush painting being exactly the right thing to do?

I painted the tinware gloss black tonight. I'll be putting some transfers on and working the surfaces a little before bending the skin back and getting on with the insides again.

IMG_0530.jpg

Here's a good example of Sod's Law. I broke one of the handrail stanchions off. Was it the crooked one or the straight one? You guess!

IMG_0529.jpg

Night all,

I'm tired, I guess. Or just not in the mood. I had a feeling when I sat down that it was not a good idea to try anything complicated so I tinkered around a bit. The radiators look a bit flat so I enhanced the fin effect a bit. It looks messy now but when in their cowlings and dry brushed with something metalic, I hope they will pass muster.

IMG_0533.jpg

I put a few token and fictional decals on the Tilly and I'm declaring it finished for now. I'll play around with it a bit more when the dio base starts to come together.I'm quite pleased with it. Not bad for a 'plane modeller!

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

Then I glued the nav lights into place. Not a typical Tamiya fit, the transparencies in this kit will be difficult I think. Very brittle, hard and with lots of sinkage. The lights will have to be sanded flush and then polished up again. Oh well.

IMG_0540.jpg

And that's it. Why did you read it? I told you it was a boring update.

Evenin' all

Good evening all,

Right then, some progress has been made this weekend, despite some non-modelling activities. Yes, there are non-modelling activities! I'd almost forgotten. I've been to a rock concert to see a guitar I made being played. I've been to a school prom. I've been to the Summer sales shopping for ... clothes, gasp! I did pop into Modelzone though! On Saturday I 'just popped into' Oxfam and spent £17 on this lot...

IMG_0009.jpg

What a bargain! What a distraction! Anyway, to business. Remember those radiators...

IMG_0556-1.jpg

I think they look ok. They will have to do as they are, though in hindsight I'd like to have used stocking fabric and a couple of plastic rods to make a more convincing job of it.

This is my engine paint; shiny aluminium with a hint of gloss brown. It does the job of two tins by saving the need to add a wash. I've had this tin for at least 7 years, welll before i last moved house.

IMG_0557.jpg

I know I said I had decided not to spray this kit. It appears I was lying! lol. I brushed the wheel bays and flaps and they looked awful so out with the airbrush for an hour.

IMG_0555.jpg

I could have added some detail to the wheel bays, I suppose. Never mind, the u/c legs are pretty impressive so that area already has something to look at. I will be adding brake pipes though.

IMG_0553.jpg

This is my spraybay, incidentally. I'm quite pleased with it. Cheap and easy to modify for those occasional big jobs. It was my son's idea to cut a hole in the top for my anglepoise to shine down into it. A stroke of genius!

IMG_0548.jpg

It's also been time to spray the outside of the fuselage. A little bit of masking applied here and there...

IMG_0547.jpg

Now this is seriously "doin' my 'ed in". I hadn't realised how rigid I am in my thinking until I started this build. Painting the outside then doing the interior is just wrong. The planning required is probably the single most challenging part of this project for me and seriously good for the mind I reckon.

Usually I just wing it and mix paints in the airbrush but as I'm going to be coming back to the black exterior paint before the job's over, I thought I'd better make up a batch. Hannants sell empty tinlets for a few pence - excellent for this sort of thing.

IMG_0545.jpg

Satin black and satin red. It still looks black-ish but has more 'depth' (?) and allows for touch ups, weathering and shading/highlighting going darker as well as lighter. If my photography's up to it you will see what I mean at the end. The little pipette is excellent for lots of liquid jobs, swooshing out the airbrush with thinners for example. They are available from laboratory suppliers for pennies, but I've seen them on sale at shows for quids! I bought a lifetime supply for less than £20 - thousands of the little lovelies.

IMG_0546.jpg

My cocktail and the result. It's not really as brown as this flash photo suggests. It's amazing how much red you have to put in to change the black noticeably. The kit bits are on an old black tee-shirt, which is pretty faded so doesn't help you assess the shade much - lol.

IMG_0001.jpg

I did the tailplane/fins at the same time and then later added the dark earth to the areas which will soon be decalled and then folded back to show the insides. Just bashed this on quick by brush as most of it's going to be hidden anyway.

IMG_0005.jpg

While waiting for the fuselage to dry, I did a little detail painting to the flaps and U/C units. Not finished yet though...

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

I tinkered around assembling the outer engine nacelles. Shock! Horror! Look at that Tamiya gap.

IMG_0006.jpg

In places I've used three layers of Plasticard jammed in and flooded with liquid poly to fill it. Never mind, it's an old kit so I'll let 'em off this once.

IMG_0008.jpg

So there you go, a big update covering three or four sessions at the desk. Sorry to have kept my loyal readers waiting so long. I'm hoping to get back inside by next weekend and fill the big bird (That's the Lancaster, not you Mish lol!) with plumbing, wires, ammunition and an Elsan. See you then!

I'm tired tonight and have been concentrating on researching P-40Es online. How very unfaithful of me! I did tart up my flaps a bit though.

Here you see them with and without Tamiya Smoke wash...

IMG_0010.jpg

...and with and without a little dry brushing...

IMG_0011.jpg

I think they look quite nice , but I wish now that I'd made them a bit more accurate. It's always a trade off for me between accuracy and maintaining interest long enough to finish. Posting the details as I build like this is raising my standards a little without slowing me down too much - I'm aware of two deadlines now and need to get a move on! Still, we break up from school on Thursday so allowing for a lie-in after the staff party, I should be able to hold my hands steady enough to model full time by ... Sunday!

Laters, peeps!

Finally I've screwed my courage to the sticking point and got back to the difficult section - the exploded fuselage. I realised that I've been putting it off because if this bit doesn't work - it will all look a bit limp. So, transfers on the outside first. I had to make the appropriate codes from the Tamiya sheet. Not difficult but I will end up with slightly undersized markings. I don't suppose anyone will notice (Ha!).

IMG_0012.jpg

And on they go onto a very uneven surface...

IMG_0013.jpg

...well soaked in Micro Set & Sol...

IMG_0014.jpg

...as one must with Tamiya decals! Here's my decal cruet...

IMG_0015.jpg

Then it was back inside for more stringers. Stuck to plastic with Plastic Weld...

IMG_0016.jpg

...to metal with CA and accelerator...

IMG_0017.jpg

...and to flesh with Ca also. There's a little bit of our DNA in every kit, isn't there?

IMG_0018.jpg

Here I use Plastruct beam for the heavy duty frame at the transport break

IMG_0019.jpg

And this is where i had to break off to go out for dinner. I was really enjoying myself but it was good that I stopped here because all those glue fumes were getting to me and I felt quite ill on the drive out. Next time I'll do what it says on the tin and open a big window!

IMG_0020.jpg

I can't work tomorrow on this as it's the last day of term and I'll be busy personally surrounding half a dozen pints of cider. See you again after my Friday morning lie-in, which is scheduled to end on Sunday lunchtime. lol.

Nightie-night.

PS. This is a little off-topic but I need a favour, guys and gals. You remember that I lost some modelling time making a guitar last week? Well, this is a link to a short (2 min) video of a gifted young 14 year-old lad playing it at a school concert. Don't let the location put you off, he's actually a very good bluesman. He's put it onto uTube together with a vid of his band Whale Tailor at the same gig. I think he's great and I'm telling everyone I know and asking them to visit the site and 'like' and comment on it. Please help make this boy famous! Remember, you heard it here first!

Thank you! Tell everyone!

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem

Thanks Murdo, Pedrovski, Den and the South African. There have been times when I've struggled to keep going with this project but they have been mercifully brief because of this thing of ours. The odd days I don't want to model for me, I simply model for you instead. BM's a great motivator and the community has become really important to me in the few weeks I've been taking part. My thanks to all who read this, whether active posters or not.

No building today though. Last night's party was a monster and I don't feel well enough to be safe with a scalpel or solvents. I can barely type, for goodness' sake!

[special thanks to the South African for the comment on my protege Cameron's music. He will be very happy to know that he has a 'fan' so far away. International stardom beckons! He's such a quiet and modest lad that he usually goes unnoticed around school, but just put an instrument in his hands and he speaks straight from the heart.]

After the wrath of grapes eased off a little this morning, I did a little work on the undercarriage/engine nacelles.

IMG_0021.jpg

Look at the size of that gap! I misallligned the main gears when I put them into the wings and couldnt face filing down another 1/8 inch thick bulkhead to make them fit better

IMG_0031.jpg

As it happened the gap, or rather the wider nacelle allows the flap fairing to fit inside easily so that will make life easier later.

IMG_0032.jpg

With hindsight I'd have painted the legs and the whole of the wheel bays before assembly. Must have been having a bad day!

IMG_0033.jpg

This is how the damaged fuselage turned out before I bent it into its final shape and hid most if this. The silver is where I attacked it with a loosly gripped craft knife. I quickly coated it with Future/Kleer to hold the decals on better and keep the scratches shiny.

IMG_0023.jpg

I needed to assemble it to see how far in the detail had to go so I thought I'd give you another look.

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

It's beginning to feel more than half done now. I'm in a bit of a hurry to start on the Pacific GB but this has to be finished first - it's always the final stages in which I mess up or lose interest so I must stay on task.

Hey Don, "wrath of the grape" eh..? Nice update, your lac is coming along...

Cheers,

ggc

:drink: