F-4B Screaming Eagles

Not entered a GB before and did not 'pre-register' so hope I can join in

I couldn't find a Fujimi F-4K or M at a good price but acquired this pre-owned but untouched Hasegawa at £18 which seemed like a good price\quality balance and a Grey\White USN Phantom was next choice anyway

Aiming to do a standard OOB build but realised there are no weapons included after I brought kit (bit naughty that as they feature on box art), got a Hasegawa weapons pack 3 on eBay for the Sidewinders and Sparrows and have 2 TERs and some Mk82 bombs on The way

I'll keep you posted on progress, looks like there will be some mainwheels and other oddments spare once I have worked out what parts I need, happy to pass these on in due course if anyone needs them

f41.jpg

Edited by cjhm

OK, made a start, stuck some bits together

Was planning total OOB but think I will add some belts to the seats and do something about the bare panels in the cockpit instead of using the decals

f42.jpg

Whilst this was going to be OOB, was seduced by Eduard etch set down at my friends shop, LSA Models in Hove.

Have made progress on cockpit, I used maskol mould pressed onto plastic-card softened with poly weld to make copy of left front hand panel to add to rear as etch set didn't have one. I know its not the same panel in real life but it looks good enough to me

f43.jpg

f43a.jpg

Edited by cjhm

Cockpit nearly there

f44.jpg

Kit pylons with Monogram TERs which will hold Monogram Mk82 bombs (Monogram parts kindly donated by Tadgh - most appreciated)

f45.jpg

Great work so far, how do you like the Hasegawa kit? I have one to build as an Israeli Kurnass, I tohought I might do it over the summer if it's not too much of a hassle :)

Arnaud

Great work so far, how do you like the Hasegawa kit? I have one to build as an Israeli Kurnass, I tohought I might do it over the summer if it's not too much of a hassle :)

Arnaud

Thanks for compliment, kit seems OK so far other than weak cockpit detail and if you have one already it should be a pretty straigtfoward build. If I had paid the £40+ some of these go for on eBay I would have been slightly disappointed as there was a bit of flash on some parts and fit on the main airframe which I was working on today is not as good as some modern kits (my kit is circa 1990 I think)

I am hoping the Academy 1/72 Phantom rumours produce a good family of F-4s ....

Edited by cjhm

Airframe coming together OK, seen here after light sanding, needs a few more parts and odd spot of filler

Some lead shot was superglued inside nose, not sure if it will be needed to keep nose wheel on the ground

f4270611A.jpg

Rear stabilators had to have the strengthening plates removed and panel lines restored

f4270611B.jpg

Edited by cjhm

• 2 weeks later...

Priming, filler and sanding (and repeat) in progress (apologies for poor pic, taken last week when there was a lack of natural light)

Primer is Simoniz white acrylic, good smooth stuff at < £5 for 400ml spray on eBay. I will leave this as is for white undersides etc

Started painting bombs and jetpipes

f4_1_100711.jpg

Edited by cjhm

• 2 weeks later...

Coming along, all brush painted after masking

Grey (Lifecolor LGG) then red (Citadel) and black (Lifecolor)

Citadel Chainmail and Boltgun Metal used for natural metal then toned\weathered with Badab black wash

Need to prepare for varnish before decals but just realised I should have added some etch to cockpit sides which I will check and sort first

f4_1_270711.jpg

f4_2_270711.jpg

Help !

Carelessly left glue brush on top of a main wheel and ruined the detail then got it stuck to my finger trying to tidy it up and its a mess now

Anyone have a spare ? Its the thinner type of wheel\tyre (kit also has fatter -J type with seperate hubs, happy to pass these on if anyone needs them)

Thanks in advance

Edited by cjhm

I've got some spares. PM me your address and I'll pop a couple in the post.

Jonathan

PM sent, most appreciated, many thanks, Chris

3/8/11 - wheels arrived, thanks again to Jonathan

Edited by cjhm

• 2 weeks later...

Getting there slowly, been busy with non-modelling stuff unfortunatley

Managed to gloss (Vallejo spray can) and decals are in progress, few main ones and stencilling left to do

Latest setback (or challenge!) is that I dropped plane whilst getting ready to varnish which scuffed a red wing end (patched up before glossing) but also cracked joint between front\rear fuselage which I only noticed whilst decalling as a gap kept opening. Managed to apply some glue to rejoin things but this has left mark behind cockpit which should clean up once decals finished and protected with varnish. Lead shot nose weight also got dislodged and is rattling around.

Anyway, I'm not disheartened and am keen to get this one finished now

f4_140811.jpg

Edited by cjhm

Lead shot nose weight also got dislodged and is rattling around.

How come youve got lead shot in the nose? Shouldnt be needed on an F-4, I never have in any scale. However, can you drill a small hole underneath and squirt some pva in then refill the hole?

Anyway, I'm not disheartened and am keen to get this one finished now

That is great to hear, youve done an amazing job with this one, even with the nightmares youve had :worthy: Did you paint your walkway markings or are they decals?

Bexy

How come youve got lead shot in the nose? Shouldnt be needed on an F-4, I never have in any scale. However, can you drill a small hole underneath and squirt some pva in then refill the hole?

That is great to hear, youve done an amazing job with this one, even with the nightmares youve had :worthy: Did you paint your walkway markings or are they decals?

Bexy

Thanks Bexy

Lead Shot - Thanks for suggestion, I will probably do that, perhaps from the UC bay, I only read about not needing the weight after I had added mine. And there was me thinking Hasegawa had forgotten to remind me to add some !

Walkways - Luckily they are the kit decals - a definite masking challenge if they were not included ....

I see you're having some challenges as well with your F-4 ....

All the best

Chris

Edited by cjhm

Thanks Bexy

Lead Shot - Thanks for suggestion, I will probably do that, perhaps from the UC bay, I only read about not needing the weight after I had added mine. And there was me thinking Hasegawa had forgotten to remind me to add some !

Chris,

Youre welcome, its with a try..... I reckon the underside would be easier to hide / repair than the top or sides :thumbsup2:

Walkways - Luckily they are the kit decals - a definite masking challenge if they were not included ....

Im hoping I dont have a disaster with my decals Like I normally do, the wing looks easy, but that intake walkway looks a masking nightmare :yikes:

I see you're having some challenges as well with your F-4 ....

All the best

Chris

Oh just a wee bit, though Im hoping another coat of white paint will hide most of the lumps & bumps, will be working on her again tonight so fingers crossed :pray:

Bexy

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly there, main thing needing attention is cockpit surround and canopies together with bringing together sub assemblies

After decals were finished everything was sealed with Vallejo satin spray can varnish, some MIG cold grey wash is being used to provide some subtle (I think) weathering

f4_270811a.jpg

f4_270811b.jpg

Right, its finished

It's not perfect but I'm pleased with it

Final stages with canopies were troublesome, I fogged one and scratched another but used 'Lakeland Quickshine' to recover reasonably well. Also used the quickshine for re-shining canopy surround matt black to match rest of finish

Thanks to all for compliments, support and help with parts

Some details in these pictures, please see gallery as well: linky (Post 14)

f4b1.jpg

f4b2.jpg

f4b3.jpg

f4b4.jpg

f4b5.jpg

f4b6.jpg

f4b7.jpg

Edited by cjhm