An open letter to Revel Gmbh............

Graham T

Not going to defend the boxing, but will attempt to explain it. Having lived a few years in Germany, I came to understand that the Germans don't just play at recycling, it's for real. I remember doing the weekly shop in the supermarket (and the Germans tended not to do weekly shops, more 2-3 days worth and the shopping trolleys were much smaller than we'd been used to; we always needed two....but, I digress.... :sleeping: ), and some shoppers would, for example, leave the outer packaging of the cereal box at the store, so they didn't have to worry about recycling that bit.

What Revell have had to do is produce their packaging to be as recyclable as possible, for their domestic market, and that, colleagues, is why they persist with the box, end-opening, Mk 1, for the use of. Me, I just use an old box to keep the bits in when I build Revell; flexibility is the key to air power. Or is it reach.....? :confused:

That is all

germans go crazy for recycling and deposits on bottles etc. can be a nightmare when like 10 diff coloured bins etc. i always got confused

i agree, the boxes are crap,but i dont think this is down to recyling issue.

Would it be possible to put paint numbers in among the diagrams on the instruction sheet instead of the flags containing letters?That would save so much farting about.

Agreed this sucks

Not going to defend the boxing, but will attempt to explain it. Having lived a few years in Germany, I came to understand that the Germans don't just play at recycling, it's for real.

Ah. That no doubt explains the "used toilet paper" look-and-feel of their instruction sheets then.

Their boxes are often oversized as well. I could fit 3 Hase Harrier Gr.7s (1/72) in the same shelf space as their reboxing which for some inexplicable reason is bigger than larger kits like the Tornado :angry:

That said, I forgive them for that and their crappy manuals if only because their decal sheets are top notch.

Revell paint callouts/mixtures. Anyone else hate them?
Tell us the real colour, then offer a Revell match or equivalent. Don't just list 4 Revell paints that have to be mixed together to get the correct shade! Other manufacturers are guilty of this too, it's not just Revell, but they are one of the worst offenders.

Total agreement from me on that one! Here's a f'rinstance:

The BAC Lightning F.6 in 1/72 (Hasegawa plastic in the box)

What are these colours?

10% matt blue + 90% matt greyish blue.

75% matt light grey + 25% matt grey

33% stone grey + 67% matt light grey

Well, the first is "Dark Sea Grey", next is "Medium Sea Grey", and the last is "Barley Grey"

Once I'd worked it out, I just used the Humbrol colours...

Surely they don't need to keep the colour names secret from their customers.

As others have said, it's the worst thing about Revell kits, and I do find it off-putting.

The one thing I don't get with Revell is their seeming lack of love for 1/48. They do the Hunter and Tornado in 1/72 and 1/32 but not 1/48. The 1/72 Tornado GR.1 is lovely (I haven't seen the 1/32 one in the plastic) so I can only imagine how good they could make it in quarter scale. They have done it for the Eurofighter Typhoon, so they are not totally averse....

Dear Revell, please never ever ever again make a kit in Yellow. Like the Starfighter in Tiger Meet markings that I am doing. It is a horrible colour to work with and no matter how much paint you put on it, it still shows through.

I've had to strip the paint twice already too, because the yellow plastic makes even a thick coating of paint appear to have a yellow twinge.

Thank you

I've had to strip the paint twice already too, because the yellow plastic makes even a thick coating of paint appear to have a yellow twinge.

Apparently putting on a coat of silver before priming with a neutral base coat makes a big difference.

Damn it! Now I find out!! - back to the bucket full of tesco cleaner for another try tomorrow!!! ;-)

PS... Citadel acrylic paints = S**tadel. Useless! Horrible! Horrific! BAH!

Whaaaa??? Citadel are a-m-a-z-i-n-g. I don't use any other metal colors beside them.

If I may offer a suggestion, thin with Xtracrylix thinner. Works wonders.

Dear Revell, please never ever ever again make a kit in Yellow. Like the Starfighter in Tiger Meet markings that I am doing. It is a horrible colour to work with and no matter how much paint you put on it, it still shows through.

Thank you

Again i think it is designed for kids just to put the black decals on.

I know it means more paint but try valjho model air dark grey first thats covers nearly everything.

Julien

Damn it! Now I find out!! - back to the bucket full of tesco cleaner for another try tomorrow!!! ;-)

PS... Citadel acrylic paints = S**tadel. Useless! Horrible! Horrific! BAH!

Citadel metallic is the best! Bar none! Just need to thin it quite a bit with distilled/demineralised water. 2 parts water + 1 part paint. Spray at 10-12Psi using gravity airbrush. BOOTIFUL!!!

Gotta admit that I haven't built many Revell kits. Only their F-22 thus far, got 2 other kits in stash (F-4 Richtenhofen and F/A-18E), plus 1 CF-18A on the way. Still, I have to second the opinion about the box. It's very irritating. Almost lost a few small pieces while building my F-22 a while back. As far as paint instruction goes, from memory the F-22 uses FS numbering. I haven't opened up the other 2 Revell kits in the stash so not sure about their paint instructions. I'm guessing that they use FS numbers for their newer kits.

EDIT: I also agree with the opinion about their fantastic decal sheet! The one that came with their F-22.... DANG!!! Could've easily cost $20 by itself from aftermarket suppliers...

Edited by Chewie

Interesting.

I agree with some of the posters here. It's a love-hate relationshiop with Revell.

The brightly coloured plastic is disappointing, though understandable. Can be worked around. I used pale grey to subdue the red Hawk. Have used overall aluminium spray befoe -. (I wasn't aware of that F-104 colour. Pity. I shall avoid that kit. I understand it is the 1/48 Monogram kit reissued) I wonder - when next you set up a highly coloured plastic run, Revell, could you do a short run in ordinary grey plastic at the end? The cost would not be high and all it would need is a simple sticker for the box to tell us old style modellers which box to grab. (Little chance but a request can't hurt. Perhaps it would ease the end of run clean up?)

The end opening boxes are also disappointing but reasoning understandable and easily worked around.

The paint information is sometimes also hard to make sense of. Revell are not the only folk to do this recently.

There are several of their kits I'd also love to see in 1/48.

On the other hand ---

They produce some superb decal sheets.

They have done some excellent Cold War jet kits and some excellent modern machines.

They have produced some fine civilian aircraft and modern sailplanes - a refreshing change and departure from the average. (Do a Schleicher Ka-8, please Revell ! Oh, and a Libelle.)

They have reissued some of the better and more memorable kits from the past, including some old Renwal ones. And a few old dogs...

They have even done an impressive range of What-If 'Luft 46' machines. Not my cup of tea but nicely done.

And even a growiung range of tiny kkts in 1/144. Too small for my taste, but very smart.

So, overall, I'd say very well done Revell Europe. More please, but easy on the coloured plastic!

John B

At least with the interweb you can usually find out what the correct colours for an aircraft should be, I just ignore the painting insructions on Revell* models now.

*And most other manufacturers!

Edited by T0M4ever

I have genuinely had a good experience with Citadel paints up until this point too - when I used to do Warhammer 40k, it was always excellent paint to use and great for the figures...

I will equally happily give it another go for brushpainting... but airbrushing on yellow plastic, when it needs several coats... forget it!!!

Thanks for such a balanced post :)

As you say, the 'hate' parts of the love-hate relationship with Revell can be worked around.

However on the plus side their decals recently have been awesome and the 'Tiger' F-104G is a good example, you get every 'tiger' stripe on the aircraft on the decal sheet with detailed instructions as to where it should be placed. The 1/48th F-105F/G repop a couple of years back similarly had an awesome decal sheet and the F-4C/D one wasn't bad either.

I wish Revell would do more of their 'History Makers' kits; I purchased their B-47, Mariner, Coronado, Hurricane and V2 kits last year. Their F-7U Cutlass defeated me though.

And back to the OP, I thought that their 1/32nd Hawk was superb value at under 20 quid!! If it needs a coat of Halfords primer, well so be it :)

Michael

Interesting.

I agree with some of the posters here. It's a love-hate relationshiop with Revell.

The brightly coloured plastic is disappointing, though understandable. Can be worked around. I used pale grey to subdue the red Hawk. Have used overall aluminium spray befoe -. (I wasn't aware of that F-104 colour. Pity. I shall avoid that kit. I understand it is the 1/48 Monogram kit reissued) I wonder - when next you set up a highly coloured plastic run, Revell, could you do a short run in ordinary grey plastic at the end? The cost would not be high and all it would need is a simple sticker for the box to tell us old style modellers which box to grab. (Little chance but a request can't hurt. Perhaps it would ease the end of run clean up?)

The end opening boxes are also disappointing but reasoning understandable and easily worked around.

The paint information is sometimes also hard to make sense of. Revell are not the only folk to do this recently.

There are several of their kits I'd also love to see in 1/48.

On the other hand ---

They produce some superb decal sheets.

They have done some excellent Cold War jet kits and some excellent modern machines.

They have produced some fine civilian aircraft and modern sailplanes - a refreshing change and departure from the average. (Do a Schleicher Ka-8, please Revell ! Oh, and a Libelle.)

They have reissued some of the better and more memorable kits from the past, including some old Renwal ones. And a few old dogs...

They have even done an impressive range of What-If 'Luft 46' machines. Not my cup of tea but nicely done.

And even a growiung range of tiny kkts in 1/144. Too small for my taste, but very smart.

So, overall, I'd say very well done Revell Europe. More please, but easy on the coloured plastic!

John B

Edited by Ghostbase

In broad agreement with the posts complaining about (a) the Revell paint "mixes", (B) the packaging. However, being practical, I'm willing to put up with that ( including yucky coloured plastic!!) in view of the quality & very reasonable prices..

For a long time now I've been using the following for bright coloured plastic ;

black as a primer /undercoat for models requiring a natural metal finish

Silver/aluminium as a primer for a white finish (found this works well on red/yellow plastic)

Doubtless many of us will have our own pet methods.

I don't airbrush my models so,in order to avoid unnecessary paint build up, I take extra care in priming/undercoating

I love the kits Revell produce and the prices they sell them for.

With their affordable prices and high quality they deserve to do well.

A 1/48 Hunter would be a great idea, and I'm sure a good seller, with Euro-wide appeal.

Like others I hate the open ending boxes and "alchemy style" paint instructions but I can live with the paper quality used for the instructions.