An open letter to Revel Gmbh............

Graham T

specifically, he who thought that moulding the new 1/32 Hawk in red was helpful. It isn't, please don't do it again.

And not to mention those end-opening boxes that collapse when you put anything heavier than a sheet of paper on top of them... :angrysoapbox.sml:

Why not just spray a coat of grey (or whatever colour you prefer) primer on the sprues at the start?

Never a good idea as that requires removing the paint from every mating surface to allow the adhesive to function which could double the build time

And not to mention those end-opening boxes that collapse when you put anything heavier than a sheet of paper on top of them... :angrysoapbox.sml:

Would it be possible to put paint numbers in among the diagrams on the instruction sheet instead of the flags containing letters?That would save so much farting about.

Oh,and by the way,could we see a bit more in the way of Monogram reissues please? 1/24th Huey would be a corking start... :D

There is bugger all wrong with the plastic or the decals from Revell nowadays,it's just the box,the paint mixtures and the instruction sheets that could benefit from a little attention.Personally I ain't concerned about the box,when I'm on form the box don't stay full for long. :goodjob:

Red plastic irritating but nothing a bit of primer can't deal with. End opening boxes on the other hand :boom: do they really save that much money. It's not just the collapsing but once the sprues are out of the bag and the build has comenced there is every chance of a small part sliding out upon tipping up the box and bouncing into oblivion.

Plus to save us all some sanity I don't want paint mixes that require 3 diffent colours one of which is only made to seemingly make up this mix and never used for anyother kit :angrysoapbox.sml: .

:ditto:

YUP!!!

Great fun trying to get the damn sprues back in them too. :raincloud:

Edited by Murdo

:ditto:

YUP!!!

Great fun trying to get the damn sprues back in them too. :raincloud:

Second that too, their B17 was a right pain when working on it

Definitely the "boxvelope" is a poor piece of packaging.

or is it an "envelox" cos it rhymes with, well you get the idea.

I know it doesn't rhyme with, "get the idea" but you know what I mean.

That sounds like it must rhyme with, "you know what I mean" ,,, oh B :banned: ks

Tell us the real colour, then offer a Revell match or equivalent. Don't just list 4 Revell paints that have to be mixed together to get the correct shade! Other manufacturers are guilty of this too, it's not just Revell, but they are one of the worst offenders.

Well remember lads, its primarily aimed for the younger moddellers and peeps who just want something to look like the real thing...

though I agree; its a pain in the rear when you have todo more coats than usual...with cost of paint rocketing :/ And I am sure it'd save revel a bob or two if they used a uniform standard of plastic rather than all these different colours... for me, their Ju-88 (1/72) was a real pain thanks to that shiney green plastic!

And I echo that on their paint read-outs... !!!

But havent people been shouting this out for ages?

As for the box 'letter' style, maybe its more to make their product stand out, that I can understand.

But havent people been shouting this out for ages?

Yes, we have but we keep buying Revell kits so why really do they care?

I cant see them chaning packaging for more expensive stuff. Their kits are quite cheap. Would you be willing to pay £1 for a better box?

As for the "red" Red Arrow, them putting it striaght to argos shows it was aimed at the general unwashed and not the modeller.

As to their paint call out, its a marketing thing to sell their own paint, I cant see them ever chaning that. Do we complain that Airfix give Humbrol call outs?

I think we can maon all we like but they are not going to change why we still buy their kits!

Julien

As for the box 'letter' style, maybe its more to make their product stand out, that I can understand.

They are the same shape on the shelves. It's when you get them home and open them up that they become annoying. If we all opened our newly purchased kits, threw away the box and immediately built the contents then it would not be an issue. However, even younger modellers filled with a desire to build their kit as soon as possible are likely to find they need something to put the bits in when their parents tell them to clear the dining room table at it is time for tea. As for older hands who put most of their purchases in a stash to mature the odds are that they will want to open the box, take out the plastic to caress it or impress their friends. In this case it is a bloody pain when, on sliding the spues back into the box a part snags the edge and gets pulled off.

So yes, it does make their product stand out but not in a good way.

As to their paint call out, its a marketing thing to sell their own paint, I cant see them ever chaning that. Do we complain that Airfix give Humbrol call outs?

It's not so much that Airfix and Revell only reference their own paint, it's that they don't actually tell you what the real colour is, particularly when they expect you to mix it. If they put an FS reference or similar, then told you how to mix their paints to make that shade, it would be a lot more helpful.

I called this morning Revell UK & spoke to Thomas about geting hold of a replacement decal sheet (don't ask :shithappens: !). he asked for my general impression of the kit & of course I mentioned the God awful red plastic. he confirmed that a large proportion of their projected market would simply nail it together & decal it without recourse to paint. Hence the red colour AND the low price, the latter of course benefits us all. He also suggested a primer & I told him, as I said above, that I couldn't bare the chore of rubbing primer off all the mating surfaces. Didn't mention the useless box.............perhaps I should have :bangin: .

Tell us the real colour, then offer a Revell match or equivalent. Don't just list 4 Revell paints that have to be mixed together to get the correct shade! Other manufacturers are guilty of this too, it's not just Revell, but they are one of the worst offenders.

I do believe Airfix now quote the Humbrol paint name and colour, even when it can only approximate the real thing (i.e. Luftwaffe shades not in the Humbrol range). Its a step up from the old says of just a number only!

Edited by Jonathan Mock

Revell are still one of my favourite manufacturers though. I love their 1/72 Tornado, F16 and Hunter. Their decal sheets are probably the best kit decals around. Also theyve reboxed some cool kits from other manufacturers. The Shack, Skyservant and Victor spring to mind.

The Revell CF-18A I bought the other day had FS numbers printed on the instruction sheet, so it just shows they do care, only sometimes :P

Not going to defend the boxing, but will attempt to explain it. Having lived a few years in Germany, I came to understand that the Germans don't just play at recycling, it's for real. I remember doing the weekly shop in the supermarket (and the Germans tended not to do weekly shops, more 2-3 days worth and the shopping trolleys were much smaller than we'd been used to; we always needed two....but, I digress.... :sleeping: ), and some shoppers would, for example, leave the outer packaging of the cereal box at the store, so they didn't have to worry about recycling that bit.

What Revell have had to do is produce their packaging to be as recyclable as possible, for their domestic market, and that, colleagues, is why they persist with the box, end-opening, Mk 1, for the use of. Me, I just use an old box to keep the bits in when I build Revell; flexibility is the key to air power. Or is it reach.....? :confused:

That is all

Alternatively......

Dear Mr Revell,

Please continue to produce your Hawk in Red plastic at a price that will let you sell loads to younger modellers who will only have to glue it and stick on the transfers and then use the profits to give us 'real' modellers some much requested models.

Peter