Le Mans 24 Hours Group Build

Watching Le Mans this weekend has given me an idea for a Le Mans 24 Hours group build. As there's currently something like a 2 year waiting list for GBs to start, if we got the go-ahead shortly we could have this running in June 2013, around the time of that year's race, which would also mark the 90th anniversary of the race.

My proposal is for models of cars that have taken part in any official practice, qualifying, warm-up, test day, or the race itself, from any year of the race (1923 onwards). It would be open to any type of kit (plastic, resin, metal etc) in any scale, and I'm aware of suitable kits in 1/12, 1/18, 1/20, 1/24, 1/32, 1/43 and 1/87. That's quite a wide spread of years, types of car, and scales, so everyone who's interested should be able to find something suitable.

I'd be willing to host, although I'd be keen to find a knowledgable co-host to assist, but plenty of time to sort that out if we get the go-ahead.

Well, guys and gals, what do you say?

Count me in with a Gulf GT40! (would love a 1:1 kit but would also like to keep my kindeys!)

Edited by ferny

A bloke who used to rent office space in the unit I work from had an original RS200, and a kitcar GT40, which was painted in full Gulf colours. Made a lovely noise too, used to make the whole building vibrate when it was just idling!

Just finished my Alan McNish 2011 Audi,just took the Audi R18 kit popped it in the blender couple of quick pulses now looks just like the real thing.

Seriously though I would be in for that it will have to be something from the 60's though.

On a slightly related note we are planning to do the Le Mans classic next year in the TVR and one of the new 3 wheeled Morgans.

I'd happily sign up but I am notoriously bad at completing any lengthy GB.

One option that you may wish to consider and that happens on other sites is the Le Mans 24 hr Build. You start at 2pm GMT on the Saturday and finish at 2pm GMT on the Sunday. Basic prep work is allowed before but when the flag drops on the Sunday, that's it. And for a 24 hr build, it may be able to miss the Britmodeller GB calendar backlog.

I'd happily sign up but I am notoriously bad at completing any lengthy GB.

Same here.

It still bugs me that I never finished my Gulf GT40 for the World Motorsports GB, a few years back.

Put my name down for this one. I've got a few in the stash to choose from. ;)

mmm a 1920s Bentley would be good for this, count me in - Now to find a 6.5-litre Bentley kit!! (oh yea there aren't any) oh well will have to build a 4.5-litre, either the Heller 1/24 kit or the Airfix 1/32

Wayne

Just finished my Alan McNish 2011 Audi,just took the Audi R18 kit popped it in the blender couple of quick pulses now looks just like the real thing.

Seriously though I would be in for that it will have to be something from the 60's though.

On a slightly related note we are planning to do the Le Mans classic next year in the TVR and one of the new 3 wheeled Morgans.

I always wanted to do one of the le man events when I had a Morgan, but somehow never managed to get there.

The new 3 wheeler looks nice, Allon White look like they are getting a demonstrator....... hmmm.......

Put me down for the group build, is anyone going to build a full grid ????

One option that you may wish to consider and that happens on other sites is the Le Mans 24 hr Build. You start at 2pm GMT on the Saturday and finish at 2pm GMT on the Sunday. Basic prep work is allowed before but when the flag drops on the Sunday, that's it. And for a 24 hr build, it may be able to miss the Britmodeller GB calendar backlog.

I wouldn't even get the box unpacked in 24 hours! If anyone wants to run with that idea, feel free, but I still prefer the idea of a normal-length GB in a couple of years' time.

Anyway, there's about ten of us who've shown an interest so far, so another five and we're off!

Warren, thanks for the hosting offer, I'll take you up on that if this goes ahead.

I always wanted to do one of the le man events when I had a Morgan, but somehow never managed to get there.

The new 3 wheeler looks nice, Allon White look like they are getting a demonstrator....... hmmm.......

Put me down for the group build, is anyone going to build a full grid ????

We had a sit in the camo green 3 wheeler with the sharks mouth at Prescott the other week,all i can say is "cosy" if you are over 6 foot and dont have snake hips.Though this was the pre production mock up and the fella from morgan said they can be tailored to your body shape.

We had a sit in the camo green 3 wheeler with the sharks mouth at Prescott the other week,all i can say is "cosy" if you are over 6 foot and dont have snake hips.Though this was the pre production mock up and the fella from morgan said they can be tailored to your body shape.

Glad I've lost 3 stone recently.

My Mog was a prototype, low line bodywork, seats on the floor. Very cosy, you couldn't fit the full sizes wheel and a driver in there!

Sounds like fun, count me in.

A 1/24 956\962 would be an easy choice, might need to try and get a 917K though. Or a Ferrrari Daytona. Then again an Airfix 1/32 DBR9 would be nice.

Sorry for rambling .....

Excellent! So, interested parties so far are:

Me and Madmonk (as hosts)

ferny

Scarlet

steve g

Happy Martian

Smiffy

cmatthewbacon

wkennerley

Doug Rogers

little-cars

cjhm

saintsdave

Only another two and we make the minimum 15 required for a GB go-ahead!

Great; the list is now:

ferny

Scarlet

steve g

Happy Martian

Smiffy

cmatthewbacon

wkennerley

Doug Rogers

little-cars

cjhm

saintsdave

ChopperSteve

One more and I can put this forward to Mish. Come on, we're nearly there!

Oh, go on then :analintruder:

I have soooo many LM cars in the stash this may encourage me to get one done.

Just to get you all in the mood, these were taken at the weekend. The first one was a certain Mr Herbert taking the Mazda round to commemorate the win 20 years ago. Still sounds fantastic! It's in moody mode as I have a new camera and panicked trying to get it off timer mode :raincloud:

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

Yes , there are plenty more where they come from too....

Enjoy

Rich

Nice pics, Rich, and welcome aboard.

We now have:

ferny

Scarlet

steve g

Happy Martian

Smiffy

cmatthewbacon

wkennerley

Doug Rogers

little-cars

cjhm

saintsdave

ChopperSteve

ptcruiser

That's enough for a go-ahead, I hope, so I'll put it to Mish and see what happens.

Keep it under your hat, folks, but I've had word from on high that this should be a goer for 2013. Final confirmation shortly, and thanks to all of you for standing up and being counted.

Good news, will have to start thinking about what to build, will make a nice 25 wedding anniversary present for Mrs Madmonk when finished!!!

Kewl.

Plenty of time to make a choice of what to do then. :)

will make a nice 25 wedding anniversary present for Mrs Madmonk when finished!!!

I'm sure she'll love whatever you decide to build for her. :D