Xtracrylix

seanrgb

Now ya see some of the guys swear that you can thin these with water, but the only time I did, it didn't work for me at all. I always use their thinners and some flow-aid, but I know that's against your religion, being tight, as thinners costs money. :rolleyes:

Could you explain what "but the paint seemed to take ages to get out of the airbrush" means though? Is there a delay, or do you have to go away & make coffee? Also, I suspect that 15% just isn't enough. Try 40% or 50% even. You shouldn't need much air pressure either... 10 or 15 psi should do it.

You could always use a mix of thinners & water, to see if you can save some money ;) If you've got some flow-aid though... use it. It's great. Slows down the drying a bit, and helps break the surface tension, so it "aids flow", which is why they call it "flow aid". :)

You could always use a mix of thinners & water, to see if you can save some money ;) If you've got some flow-aid though... use it. It's great. Slows down the drying a bit, and helps break the surface tension, so it "aids flow", which is why they call it "flow aid". :)

Cheers Mike I'll grab some of that stuff

I find the Xtracrylix thinners to be good (although the bottles leave a little to be desired). As for the paint, hmmm, it's OK, but not that good. Certainly not as good as Tamiya or GS Acqueous. It does require more than 15% thinner, more like double that. There again, good selection of British subjects, and, of course, Israeli sand grey. Interesting how Xtracrylix and Xtracolor have different colors for Israeli sand grey...

One thing I'm curious about, are all acrylics the same basic composition? What is an acrylic paint, and what are the major differences between brands? Why are some acrylics called acrylic lacquer?

I only use tap water for thinning my paints, but we've got very good soft water round here, that would make a difference. Wouldn't use it if you live in a hard water area though. I sometimes use some Liquitex slo-dri and flow-aid if it's a bigger job or something that's going to take some time.

I thin them somewhere between 40% and 50%, and spray at about 10 psi. As Bob said, mist them on in a few layers, always works for me too. I never go with heavier coats.

Karl.

I've no experience with Xtracrylics, but this range seems unavoidable if I want to paint camo from Brits origin in the future.

Are there any shortcomings?

Is it possible to mix it with some Klir, as I does with most other acrylic paints?

Salut Antoine

You're right, Xtracrylic provides a superb range of british camo colours and it's truly a great paint to use.

I never met any shortcomings with this paint as long as I used it with Tamiya thinner ( about 50/50 ratio for large surfaces ), and took the care to spray a mist of maint first and to blow it with dry air from the airbrush so that it dries quick and forms a good base for more wet coats. Without this care the paint may run on the plastic.

( en Français faire un voile d'accroche ! )

I never tried it with Klir ( I use this only for canopy dipping )

cheers

Fanch

I used xtracrylix on my first attempt at airbrushing and found it a struggle.These tips will help me next time.The range of colours and the colourmatch is excellent.One thing i did find out using this paint is that it needs a primer coat or else the paint can be pulled off by masking tape.I found this happened even after letting the paint dry in a warm place.Once i used a primer coat the paint adhesion was fine. Cheers,Dave