Rise of flight free,gratis, nowt

Carts

Thanks for the link Carts.

That is a fantastic offer really.

You are getting a 'demo' version of the game which can be used with 'paid for' versions of the game online and access to all the latest features of the 'paid for' versions too.

I'd been looking at getting a boxed version RoF: ICE for some time but now I reckon I'll get the 'demo' version and then wait for one of the sales that the RoF team have from time to time. That way I should be able to purchase pretty much all of the available planes for around the same price as the boxed version of RoF: ICE.

I know, I'm a cheapskate!

JMB.

It really is a peach of a game!

Look I broke my plane,but the rear gunner kept firing at the convoy I was attempting to attack :D

2011_6_7__21_39_19-copy.jpg

Up above the clouds

2011_6_10__23_49_35-copy.jpg

Rise of Flight is a fantastic WW1 flight sim. It's packed with detail and is fiendishly hard if you play it on full realism.

I purchased RoF when it was released a few years ago and it was a rough diamond, very much a work in progress. Neoqb (now renamed to 777 Studios) stuck with it and continued to develop and improve the sim adding new features all the time. As soon as the next update comes with a full offline career mode RoF will be a fully featured, fully matured flight sim that will go down as one of the all time classics

These guys really do deserve our support. Download the free unlimited demo, make an account and pay a few quid to download some more aircraft. If like me you find yourself really enjoying it you can go the whole hog and buy all the aircraft and all the field mods :analintruder:

Gents,

How big is the file - I'm on a hideously expensive pay as you go line?

TIA

Pete

I can bang it on a dvd for you if you like and post it to you? I'm going to grab it for me later anyway.

do you need a joystick and throttle controls to play or can you use keyboard keys?

I'm pretty sure a joystick is required, but even if it is possible to fly with the keyboard it would make flying accurately virtually impossible as the flight modelling is very authentic.

Rise of Flight really is a great sim and has come a long way since it was released. My favourite aircraft is the SE5a (also my favourite WW1 fighter) - I find the in-line engines easier to fly as you don't have to constantly wrestle with the gyroscopic forces of the rotary engines. The SE5a also flies really nicely straight off the bat without having to fart about adjusting the joystick response curves.

Some pics I took of the SE5a in action:

2011_6_16__11_30_57.jpg

Climbing out of the aerodrome - making sure the radiator is fully open so not to overheat the engine!

2011_6_16__11_33_15.jpg

A bit of balloon busting I think....

2011_6_16__11_34_29.jpg

2011_6_16__11_35_0.jpg

2011_6_16__11_36_51.jpg

2011_6_16__11_37_9.jpg

2011_6_16__11_38_53.jpg

Another balloon...

2011_6_16__11_39_45.jpg

2011_6_16__11_40_25.jpg

2011_6_16__11_43_16.jpg

2011_6_16__11_45_47.jpg

Some company from an Alby!

2011_6_16__11_46_40.jpg

2011_6_16__11_47_54.jpg

DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!

2011_6_16__11_48_6.jpg

This guy's life expectancy has dropped dramatically.

2011_6_16__11_48_48.jpg

Hit his fuel tank!

2011_6_16__11_49_21.jpg

Down he goes...

2011_6_16__11_50_12.jpg

Bet he wishes he was flying a Fokker DVII!

2011_6_16__11_51_1.jpg

Off home in time for tea and medals ;)

I've downloaded and installed it, and it won't run- I just get a black window. On looking at the RoF website, I find system requirements

that are quite demanding. It looks a lovely game, but 4GB of RAM, a 1GB graphics card- a wee bit beyond my general purpose machine.

I think a dedicated gaming rig will be required...

Aye you'll need a proper gaming rig for RoF, but it's absolutely loadsa fun.

The detail they've incorporated is fantastic. The flight modelling is really excellent, the rotary engined fighters are pigs to fly and demand your constant attention. Only turn the "right" way in one, as trying to turn the wrong way is a recipe for disaster. When you start a rotary engine on the ground you see the airframe visibly twist and buck reacting to the torque. With the absence of a modern cylinder head temperature instrument you adjust your engine mixture based on the colour of your exhaust - lean the mixture until it turns from dark smoke to white smoke, and then increase the mixture until it's just dark again. The trajectory of every bullet is modelled (nothing new for a flight sim) but the damage model is something else. If you're lucky enough to shoot a pilot you'll see him slumped at the controls of his aircraft. Hit the fuel tank and he'll catch fire. You'll see holes torn by your bullets in the fabric, and if you do enough damage to the wing structure you'll see it disintegrate and he'll spin down to the earth. Overstress or overspeed your aircraft and you'll see the wings distort and begin to fail, if you're lucky you might be able to nurse the aircraft back down to earth. Overspeed or overheat the engine and it will sieze. One of the best parts is flying through clouds - your outside view turns white and water will stream across the screeen (your flying goggles!), it's actually pretty scary flying with no horizon reference in these early aircraft.... all you see is your airspeed rapidly increasing or decreasing depending on whether you're going up or down! You're best bet is to stall the aircraft or put it into a spin so you drop out of the cloud and recover.

Absolutely mind boggling detail and great fun.

Check out these vids from Youtube showing the sim in action. Fantastic stuff. The guy who does these videos is a genius :)

Edited by Pielstick

Well I thought it was high time I tried out the new career mode in RoF, so earlier tonight I fired up a career flying the SE5 with 56 Squadron... I selected the start date as the 1st day they arrived in France with the new type.

My 1st mission was a dawn patrol along the front lines flying in a 3 aircraft patrol at 7,000ft. Over the frontlines I spotted a German balloon and dived down on it, sent it flaming to the ground. As I was trying to catch up with my leader I spotted a lone Albatros DVa in the distance and went after him. I dogfight ensued where I got a few hits on him, but prevailed when he dived too fast and ripped his wings off. I bagged another German balloon and then made my way home.

I was credited with two balloons and the DVa - got a Military Cross :)

• 3 weeks later...