Airfix Lynx HMA.8

Hi

Following my Friends of Duxford visit to Yeovilton in April (my photos are here and here), I was motivated to build a Lynx. Until the new Airfix 1/48 example is released later in the year, the choices were very limited. I noticed in the "For Sale" section on BM that PhoenixII was selling the Airfix Mk.8 and the Revell (nee Matchbox) example of an early mark in German and Dutch markings. The deal was done, and Phoenix II kindly threw in an Airwaves PE set for the Mk.8 - thanks, mate.

I tackled the Mk.8 first and it went together quite well. I had never used PE before, so treated the prospect with fear and trepidation! The reality was not too bad, but I couldn't bring myself to use it all, choosing to leave off the tiny tie-down rings etc for the exterior. The Mk.8 nose might as well have been for a completely different type of aircraft, as essentially it did not fit. I used plenty of Vellejo putty and copious amounts of Mr Surfacer 1000, before I got a reasonable join. The rest of the construction was troublefree , except that I could not get the windscreen to fit properly and I lost my battle with the PE intake FOD guards, which just do not look right!

She was then bruesh-painted Humdbol 165 and given a coat of Klear prior to decalling. The decals were "interesting", as they had too much carrier film, requiring very tight trimming, and in the case of the roundels, the pink was off-centre! I applied one coat of Winsor &Newton Matt Varnish after the decals had set.

I know that the model is not completely accurate, but I am happy with the end result, except that I have lost one of the exhausts, which despite turning the room upside down, has not surfaced. If anyone has a scrap Airfix Lynx, please let me know. For the pictures below, I swapped the remaining exhaust from side to side! Both the cabin doors are moveable.

I thought that it would be nice to show her next to my "Fly Navy" RN Hawk.

lynxhawk.jpg

lynx1.jpg

lynx3.jpg

lynx4.jpg

lynx5.jpg

lynx6.jpg

lynx.jpg

A nice pair, I liked the extra detailing on the Lynx.

Looks really nice - I admire your cunning ploy swapping the exhaust over!!! Would a bit of trimmed drinking straw work as replacement? It would be better scale thickness so you could maybe replace the other exhaust as well if you can find a straw of the right diameter.

Pat

Thanks for all your comments, guys with particular thanks to Pat for his drinking straw suggestion! I primed a straw with Halfords black and then painted it with a mix of Humbrol Metalcote Gunmetal and Humbrol 55 Metallic Broonze, and hey presto a Lynx exhaust!

Of course, we all know that I will find the missing part now! Thanks again, Pat!

Glad the straw idea worked!! Can we have a pic as I might use it myself!!

A while ago I used straws for the exhausts of a Frog Buccaneer but it took ages to find ones of the right diameter. Every pub or restaurant I went in would be mentally measuring up the straws and the missus suspected I was quite mad. Now she's had it confirmed :banghead:

Glad the straw idea worked!! Can we have a pic as I might use it myself!!

A while ago I used straws for the exhausts of a Frog Buccaneer but it took ages to find ones of the right diameter. Every pub or restaurant I went in would be mentally measuring up the straws and the missus suspected I was quite mad. Now she's had it confirmed :banghead:

Hi Pat

Sorry for the delay, but here is a picture - not perfect but better than a gaping hole! Thanks again for the tip!

lynxexhaust.jpg

Edited by Alpha Delta 210