Tornado 46+35 "Tiger Meet 1994"

hillstar

Hello Everyone from Germany,

I want to join your Group Build if that is ok for you guys. The Tonka that I want to build would be 46+35, build OOB from a Revell Kit and I will use the Decals from MPM Decals.

4635.jpg

321 Tigers

Edited by hillstar

Welcome on board.

Very nice choice of scheme and I'm always glad to see the Fin in Tiger stripes.

Looking forward to it. What scale is it going to be?

Steve

It will be in 1/72, my favorite Scale for the Tornado. It will fit into my collection of Tonkas. :evil_laugh:

OK, here is the first Picture of my WIP.

tonkas01.jpg

Like you can see, actually I will build 3 Tonkas at the same time. Focus will be still on 46+35, the other two Jets will be 46+45 from 1996 and 46+48 from 1999. For everyone who knows those Jets, YES all of them as Tigerjets.

All Kits will be build out of the Revell Kit 04617, so it is very easy to build the Mainframe of all three Jets. Painting will be a different story for me. :hypnotised:

Nice little production line you have there.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

but that was almost everything of the easy parts. A little bit of the Jetintakes and than painting starts. Starting with the Cockpit, which will take the longest I guess. After that everything that needs some light grey colors, like wheelbays and rims. So I have some kind of a plan. Hope to post some news next weekend, maybe during the week if I find some spare time.

And sorry for my english. In case it is hard to understand, that's maybe because I am not a native speaker... :-)

And sorry for my english. In case it is hard to understand, that's maybe because I am not a native speaker... :-)

No apologies need. Your English is very good, and a lot better than my German would be.

Steve

Hello Everyone,

earlier this morning I made some progress, I guess it was something like 4:30AM. I was able to produce the Jet-Intakes and painted everything in a light grey.

Sorry for the picture, it was made with the i-Phone. And of course, this has been made for all three Tonkas. :closedeyes:

Now the "funny" part starts, painting the Cockpit and the Seats... :hypnotised:

tonkas02.jpg

Ah, the inside of the cockpit has been painted, too.

And again me... Made some progress and here are the pictures.

I used the decals this time for the cockpit. It is not silvering, it was just a bit wet...

tonkas04.jpg

A look from the rear.

tonkas05.jpg

Glued the Cockpit together...

tonkas06.jpg

Assembled. Needs now some filler and than sanding and paint I guess...

tonkas07.jpg

I tried this production method with 6 hornets once, got this far and stalled :) Im sure you'll see this tonka production to the end though. Could you tell us which decals sheet your using, I might have to get one myself

Cheers and best of luck

I tried this production method with 6 hornets once, got this far and stalled :) Im sure you'll see this tonka production to the end though. Could you tell us which decals sheet your using, I might have to get one myself

Cheers and best of luck

Until now this production method works very well. All three Tonkas have reached this morning the same production level and are ready for some paint now. I will start with the Wheelbays, because I need to put some masking tape on the bays.

Regarding Decals:

1.) 46+35 -->Mini Print MPD72021, bought at Hannants

MPD72021.jpg

But like you can see I need to have a look where I can get all the rest of the needed Decals from, as the Sheet does not provide a lot...

2.) 46+45 --> original Revell Decals

3.) 46+48 --> Decals from Mark 1 Guide

MKD72011.JPG

The last Sheet will be the resource for at least another Tonka I have in queue --> 45+03, but it is not in the production line... :closedeyes:

And again some progress...

I have painted the Tonka with Yellow for the tiger Stripes, some green and black (not real black, as it should be RAL 7021). This is how it looks at the moment.

tonkas08.jpg

tonkas09.jpg

Now it is time again for some masking...

I wish I could spray free-hand... :closedeyes:

What I did was, that I used a pencil and marked the outlines of the different colors. After that I sprayed those areas that do not touch each other. Next step was to mask the already painted areas and spray a bit more...

Status at the moment: I need to spray a bit at the bottom, the Tail and than I can see how it looks... Oh yes, and the grey parts at the wings needs to be painted. Pictures will come when the masking tape is gone, as you can't see a lot at the moment.

Good Morning!

After visiting yesterday the new runway at the Frankfurt International Airport I was highly motivated to continue with my Tonka. So I finished almost every painting that needs to be done, except wheels and weapons. And that is how she looks at the moment...

tonkas10.jpg

How do you like the painting? To be honest, I love it. Did not expected to have such a good result. I know there are better builders outside, but for me it is very good!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sneak Preview

Hello Everyone,

this will be the last picture of the unfinished aircraft before I am done. Like you maybe can guess/see only positioning lights, landing lights and some way to present that Tonka is missing. At the moment I prefer to present it the way it is. This wouldn't take the focus off the airplane.

tonkas13.jpg

Sorry if the english is not as good as it should be. ;)