ok I give up

I give up on airfix's new spit in 1/72

The cockpit parts dont fit.

They dont...they're too wide....thats it....no discussion...fact - they dont fit

Leaving aside the horrible warped fuselage halves, the panel trenches are way way way too deep

This is probably one of if not the worst designed and manufactured kits I have seen.

If it was an old kit, fine, I can understand that. Old kits I expect to have something wrong.

But its not

Its a kit that is supposed to have been designed and manufactured in the 21st century.

I will fix these issues, mostly because the two kits I have came my way from my late mum, so I will deal with them

But not right now as I have too many other things to deal with

And I wont be getting anymore (unless its to blow them up for a BoB airfield diorama)

So if you have any of these, either chuck them away or go get your money back

I enjoyed building mine and am planning on getting another at some point. I honestly don't recall if it had fit problems or not... but poor fitting kits made me into the man I am today! :D

Spitfiremk1-6.jpg

I like this kit. Having said that, I agree the panel lines are overdone for the scale and the cockpit and wing join fit is quite poor for a new tool kit.

I think a good looking model can be produced from it though, with some work.

p1070956j.jpg

p1060030u.jpg

I didnt say it couldnt be fixed

My point was that it's a new tool kit - made in the 21st century

It shouldnt have the problems it has

And right now I dont need a problem kit - sorry but I dont.

If I know it's an old kit and it's going to need work, fine - actually I quite like the fixing part on old kits

But this thing is supposed to be reasonably quick and easy to build.

And with the James May thing and all the pr afx have been doing, this kit will be the quickest way to put kids off for life

I have two coming one the new airfix kit and the other the tamiya kit so l will see first hand very soon what they are like

I'm building one at the moment, I havn't had any of the above problems except the canopy is a bit tight but a tiny amount cutting back with a scapel made it drop in. I certainly had no issues with the cockpit going in and joining the fuselage halves.

well, maybe its just these two then but it's seriously annoying

the panel lines are still way way too deep

i had no problems with mine, i like the panel lines they are deep but there not that bad and definatly better than what im used to the old raised ones, ive just returned to the hobby and from what i can see these days were spoiled, my spit prety much built its self i love the new airfix kits the nimrod and canberra were great too,

however the cockpit i to thought would not fit, you just need to push it and it clips on tight, the wing fuselarge join just requiers you be patient and hold them in place for a good few mins then it sets good , thats what i found, its a big improvement on the old kit which to be fair was pretty nifty

well, maybe its just these two then but it's seriously annoying

the panel lines are still way way too deep

If annoying, then what forced you to buy that damn thing?

Made three so far, and another awaiting on the bench...

P1000669.jpg

No problems here either, here's a warts and all shot of the wing/fuselage join - look ma, no filler:

f4401e37.jpg

Canopy clipped into place no problem:

4fdccaa5.jpg

The only filler I used was on the underside by the scallops.

Second opinion? Try here:

If annoying, then what forced you to buy that damn thing?

1) The box is closed in a shop and even if it wasnt, a quick look in a shop isnt going to tell you it fits badly

2) It's a new tooled kit - it's not unreasonable to expect it to be better designed and manufactured than these are

3) your comment is even more annoying

Made three so far, and another awaiting on the bench...

those are very neat .....is that surgery on the kit canopy ? or can u point me in the direction of a replacement that I can chop up like that !

got another four of these and it would be a shame not to show off the very nice cockpit..cheers

those are very neat .....is that surgery on the kit canopy ? or can u point me in the direction of a replacement that I can chop up like that !

got another four of these and it would be a shame not to show off the very nice cockpit..cheers

Canopies are both surgery and replacement.

On PR I.C and PR IV - Windshield is from pavla models as well sliding hood. Back part is simply cut from kit.

On PR I.G, the front and back is from kit, sliding hood is from Pavla.

See www.pavlamodels.cz, that produces both PR canopies and whole PR sets, AFAIK they do sets/canopies for Tamiya and new Airfix tool.

To be honest, I saw much better canopies than from Pavla, but at least, they were really cheap.

Thinking to vac homemade canopies, but for the moment, I'm happy with those already added.

1) The box is closed in a shop and even if it wasnt, a quick look in a shop isnt going to tell you it fits badly

2) It's a new tooled kit - it's not unreasonable to expect it to be better designed and manufactured than these are

3) your comment is even more annoying

1. Never ever had problem to get the whatever box opened - Well the truth is, I had to be polite to the clerk. ;) Also, as even proletariat has access to internet, there's no problem to look around, watch in progress builds...

2. What is so terribly bad on it? Yes it isn't Tamiya, on the other hand, it definitly is not Frog. Ever seen Dragon's/DML Ta-152C? What a tasty kit!!!

3. Thanks much, I take it as compliment. :thumbsup:

2 Paul and Falke:

I'm fascinated, how rendition of one plane could lead to totally different results (though pretty food).

well after reading the posts here, the impression I have is that it's the kits I have that maybe wrong.

So maybe - just maybe - I might go get another and compare it to the two I already have.

Like I said I will fix them (eventually), just not right now, I have too many other things on my mind

A how-to vid wont solve the trenches for panel lines, which is why I filled them.

and for anybody who says they're ok, we'll have to disagree on it.

the airfix kit is aimed at younger generation who would i suspect tend to model with a paintbrush, not an expensive airbrush, i model with a paintbrush (check out my wip builds in the wip section), and i can assure you the deep panel lines are incredibly helpful, its the fine panel lines i have problems with as the paint tends to obscure them. Since this kit has a very lite price tag and again is aimed at younger generations i suspect that this might have had something to do with the toolings, if you want a finely recessed panel lined spit with plenty of AM goodies then spend the bigger bucks (all £11) and get the tamiya one. Im sorry you have had such a bad experiance with what is a very wonderful lil kit, oversimplified in some areas, but in others is a winer.

If nothing else, this kind of kits helps the youngsters excercise at least any motoric abilities, gives everyone chance to get within reasonable amount of time and with minimal investments (yeah, brave boy, steal the file from your mommy's manicure :)) something to be proud of...

Yesterday I pulled out from boneyard my old Spit Vb from heller. I also have Heller's XVI. Compare the tooling, detail level, shape accuracy, and the minimalistic decal sheets of that times of these kits, and the new IX, XIX, and I/IIa...