Cosford Airshow 2011

jasman71

well I am! Make a change from the sadly-departed Biggin Hill, but also it will make a change from 4 hours down the M4 and M25! I hope the Vulcan shows up. If anyone's interested, here's the official page

official website

Also be good to see the new Hawk colours (for future reference, Marples :D) Fingers crossed the weather behaves .. unlike my big Sigma 150 - 500 which no longer does; no autofocus or image stabilisation, so it's back to manual before it gets sent back to the store :shithappens:

Yep, I'll there with SWMBO and my niece.

Bit light on fast jets this year but still looking foward to it.

And please don't let there be a downfall like last year....the heavens opened just as the Harrier was mid display!

well I am! Make a change from the sadly-departed Biggin Hill, but also it will make a change from 4 hours down the M4 and M25! I hope the Vulcan shows up. If anyone's interested, here's the official page

official website

Also be good to see the new Hawk colours (for future reference, Marples :D) Fingers crossed the weather behaves .. unlike my big Sigma 150 - 500 which no longer does; no autofocus or image stabilisation, so it's back to manual before it gets sent back to the store :shithappens:

what did you think of the lense before it broke mate? i want 1 quite badly for my d90

what did you think of the lense before it broke mate? i want 1 quite badly for my d90

very good indeed. I have a D90 and a D7000, and usually use the two - one with the big lens, the other with maybe a 10 - 20mm. I took thenm both plus a few other lenses to Skomer Island a couple of weeks ago, and was happily shooting the puffins in a strong gale, when the big lens decided to stop focussing, and with it went the image stabilisation. Luckily it is only 8 months old so when I come back from Cosford it will go back to the place I got it from for repair. I can use it on manual easily enough but it just means more to carry, as I will employ a monopod too! Sort of got my eyes on some sort of backup, like the Nikon 80 - 400mm. Just need the lottery win first though!

I shall be there in my guise as Bandmaster of Staffordshire Wing ATC Band. Come and say hello.

Keith

do we approach, look from side to side, and utter the words.. "I understand the A-team is minus their Faceman?" to know it's you? :D (probably to be met with "ohh god.... Britmodellers!")

do we approach, look from side to side, and utter the words.. "I understand the A-team is minus their Faceman?" to know it's you? :D (probably to be met with "ohh god.... Britmodellers!")

I think i would have to shoot some flower pots :coolio:

I think i would have to shoot some flower pots :coolio:

ah but don't forget - 10,000 bullets and no-one ever hit by them :innocent:

Look for the baseball cap-wearing (and wellies too if the weather forecast proves accurate) backpack carrying nikon-equipped tall chap probably carrying lots of bags or boxes, that'll be me. :D

Right now, It is perfect weather! Clear blue skies!

I was going to go tomorrow, right up till my Mom reminded me I am taking her to the airport tomorrow

Ahh.. priorities....

according to the bbc, the big rain bank is due to be over the Birmingham area by 10am. No problem, in my job I have lots of wellies and waterproofs :)

Ill be there to with the gf and my friend soph, i go most years, 2009 was awsome weather i remember seeing one guy who turned into a lobster (red) as well as the vulcan, then in 2010 it was lovely and sunny so i left my car roof open, later on mid harrier display it sloshed down and drove home in a wet car, silly me,

the weather report looks bad for sunday so lets all keep chanting in our heads sunny day at cosford tomoro and hopefully it will,

anyone know if there are any loud jets going apart from tornado and vulcan, shame there will be no harrier , nimrod, jaguar, but how about typhoon, f16 etc.

Edited by robvulcan

The forecast appears to be improving - having just agreed to scrub it and focus on Kemble next weekend. Could be on the toss of a coin - or get up early and decide if 6hr return drive is justified by what's in the show and the latest weather prediction.

The forecast appears to be improving - having just agreed to scrub it and focus on Kemble next weekend. Could be on the toss of a coin - or get up early and decide if 6hr return drive is justified by what's in the show and the latest weather prediction.

thats good news on the weather, ill be going to kemble too i think, i live in kidderminster (unfortunatly for me) so im not very far away at all from those too, i normally go to waddington each year and thats 120 odd miles away for me, i was awake 23 hours that day well worth it though i just hope its not the last time i see a nimrod fly, not seen a nimrod display since i was a kid and i guess i may never see again sadly,

good thing about cosford is you always have the hangars too look around.

"sunny day at cosford tomoro....sunny day at cosford tomoro....sunny day at cosford tomoro...." I am coming from near St Davids in West Wales so hopefully I'll be ahead of the rain. At least if it can hold off til 2 or so that will be enough time to photograph everything and spend all the money... well ok.. maybe I'm being optimistic.... maybe by 11am :whistle:

Well, I don't want to put a dampener on things (literally) but the forecast I've just seen looks like a bit crap. Rain from 1ish onwards, possible showers before. I'm going anyway, it's only an hour's drive or so. Go prepared for anything and you'll be fine.