1:32 Tamiya F4-J Phantom II "Marines"

As it is my first group build (and even the first time I have put a model up for review) I'm going to keep it as a straight forward OOB build. It will be a quick build - basic painting and not much detailing in the cockpit as I only have a few more weeks before life gets mad again, I also struggle to devote time to painting cockpits.... I just love airbrushing !! - but it is just good to be part of a group build.

I've got cracking straightaway and the build is well progressed.... I just need to find some time to play catch up in getting the pics off the camera and on here - photography is not my strong point !

This is the "Beast"

PhantomBox.jpg

Only basic drybrushing for the cockpit - may try and add a bit more detail but brushwork is not my strong point.

Cockpit.jpg

The cockpit is now in the fuselage but I can still get to it to add some more detail at a later date.

Cockpit2.jpg

This is what I love doing more... airbrushing and have really got in to Alclad

RearAlclad.jpg

Edited by Stakka
  • Like 1

Main body is now together..... all half a metre of the beast :shocked:

Body1.jpg

Not being a fan of too much filling I do like Tamiya kits as there has been minimal work required

Noseplain.jpg

Just a patch on the nose and fin so far

TailPlain.jpg

Getting to the bit I love now... painting the body..... when it starts to look more than just a bunch of plastic :) .....

• Like 1

Thanks - yes the colouring was what attracted me to this model too.... the grey almost has a pink/fleshy tinge to it which makes it a little more interesting that the usual "Grey Jet"

and I am a bit of a 1/32 and Tamiya supporter too !

Main body has been painted now - top and bottom.

Bodytopcoat.jpg

I was going to decant and then airbrush but due to the size of the darn thing I bit the bullet and sprayed direct from the rattle can (Tamiya AS paint)

Closeuptail.jpg

It was like painting the thing with a fire extinguisher but in approx 10 secs of spraying it was done. At first it looks as though the paint floods the detail but once dry

it ends up finishing beautifully smooth and consistent. The cans are a pain to get hold of but I will certainly use them again.

Closeup1.jpg

Closeupnose.jpg

• Like 1

Been mucking around with Alclad and masking to try and get an effect across the rivets - not sure how clean or dirty I want this model to be though

The black is the undercoat for the Alclad, that section will eventually be white.

elevatormasked.jpg

Well the dreadful weather over the weekend and a couple of quiet days has allowed good progress to be made.

Some decals going on and the Alclad painting has progressed more on the tail.

Phantom.jpg

I cleaned the elevators / tail section up a little from before as looking at the overall paint scheme I think it will be better to go with a cleaner model.

Phantomtail.jpg

It may look as though alot has now been done.... but when I peer in to the mass of parts that make the weapons loadout, underwing parts and all the decals that are left to go on this jet I would appear to have barely scratched the surface of this model :analintruder:

There are literally hundreds of decals for this kit - it took a couple of weeks worth of evenings to do them all !

decal2.jpg

Edited by Stakka
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Added some dashes of Red to the intakes and air brakes and then I was ready for .... dun dun DUUUUNNN !!!!

The mucky bit !

The darn thing is so big I just had to take to it with the equivalent of an oil wash version of a walls & ceilings emulsion brush :analintruder:

wash.jpg

Have only given it a quick wipe off to get the worst off but I do not want to go too dirty so I will keep cleaning and will also have to go back and add some individual lines back in that got wiped out .

ModelwashedLHtop.jpg

This wing decal was a bit of a challenge due to a large prominent lumpy bit in the top of the white star... but the various decal softeners have done their job nicely

washeddecal.jpg

Edited by Stakka
  • Like 1

Thats looking stunning, nice work so far. I had a number of Tamiya 1/32 phantom kits but moved down to collecting 1/48 scale Hasegawa kits because I could not get British K/M versions (only the J)

However I still have a desire to build one of these at some point. (might even do the same kit in all four scales) we will see.

Lovely work

Dave

Edited by zero

Thanks for the positive comments guys. This is the first real time I have ever posted a model for review and also entered a group build (what a great idea) seeing as I only got in to "proper" modelling 2 xmas's ago. This is about my sixth model now and I am so pleased how I have managed to get on with many of the techniques, pretty much all of which I must say has been down to spending many an hour reading this forum - full credit must go to all the helpful advice given on here. I have learnt so much, so quickly. If only my brush skills were better, but that will come.

Anyway, I must have a browse through all the other entries on here, there is so many of them that folk probably struggle to work their way through them and comment so once again thanks for taking the time out to post here and I will get round to giving some support to some other entries.

• 4 weeks later...

Stakka,

This is outstanding work :worthy: And youre cockpit..... well, I spend hours on mine and apart from a few bits of wire etc I dont even come close to yours :gobsmacked:

I really cant wait to see this one Phinished :thumbsup2:

Bexy

• 2 months later...

Whoops... well I said this would be a quick build as life was due to go mad.... well it went mad a bit too quick and the build got put on hold for a while

Finally got stuck in again and managed to get started on the explodey stuff that hangs off the bottom of the model... it doesn't look it but there are about 150 pieces just to make up this lot. All that seam removal as well :o

Weapons.jpg

• Like 1

...This is what I love doing more... airbrushing and have really got in to Alclad

RearAlclad.jpg

I don't know how I missed this thread earlier (and entire F-4 group build). There aren't enough "ph" adjectives after "phabulous" and "phantastic" to describe this Phantom!

It strikes me that this kit has minimal aftermarket and maximal modeller technique to bring out all that wonderful detail. Are the markings and stencils kit-supplied decals as well?

I really like the effect you achieved on bare-metal areas! What shades of Alclad did you use for the bare-metal tail sections? Did you use a laquer, enamel, or acrylic paint for the black undersurface? As enthusiastic as I am about modelling Phantoms (especially MARINE Phantoms), I must admit that replicating the metal areas daunts me.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know how I missed this thread earlier (and entire F-4 group build). There aren't enough "ph" adjectives after "phabulous" and "phantastic" to describe this Phantom!

It strikes me that this kit has minimal aftermarket and maximal modeller technique to bring out all that wonderful detail. Are the markings and stencils kit-supplied decals as well?

I really like the effect you achieved on bare-metal areas! What shades of Alclad did you use for the bare-metal tail sections? Did you use a laquer, enamel, or acrylic paint for the black undersurface? As enthusiastic as I am about modelling Phantoms (especially MARINE Phantoms), I must admit that replicating the metal areas daunts me.

Thank you for your kind words

Yes - the model is 100% out of the box including all markings & decals. I just supplied the glue, paint, time, effort and enough square footage of my room to hold a 5 a side footy match :D

To answer your question about the Alclads - I used a mixture of shades, mainly Stainless Steel, Magnesium, Pale Burnt Metal and with Jet Exhaust in selected patches to give the darker shades. I just kept going back over with various shades in more of a random fashion. All other paints were Xtracrylics and a dash of Valejo for brush detail in the cockpit.

With the group build deadline looming this weekend I have had to quickly get the model all together a little more quickly than I would have liked - my fault though due to my lifestyle - as there has been plenty of time. When I get some more time again probably in the new year I may go back and add some more weathering detail as there is just so much to this model that you could go to town with.

I was only able to base paint all the weapons and give everything a very quick oil paint based wash. Certain areas of the model need a bit more cleaning up and attention but for now I have to say I am very happy so far and Tamiya have (again) made a fab large scale model.

I doubt I will have any more time before the weekend to do anything else or even get some better photos for the completed section but I hope these show you enough for now.

I was kind of pleased at getting rid of all the seams on the weapons. I didn't think I would have the patience but it was worth it.

2.jpg

There's a fair bit hanging from the bottom of this bird that's fer sure..

8.jpg

5.jpg

One slight niggle is that the afterburner cans could have benefitted with a bit more detail - but it is tough to knock the quality of this kit. I wil try and colour them up a little more at some point, they need some "shiny" worn parts and although there is already some blue heatstaining done the photo does not show it up very well.

3-1.jpg

1.jpg

6.jpg

The canopy and seats etc. have just been placed in without gluing as when I have more time I would like to finish them off better - some of the cockpit colours need toning down a bit as well.

7.jpg

4.jpg

It is a shame you do not get to see many of these beasts flying around here today - still a stunning aircraft and a classic shape. !

Thanks so much for reading.

Edited by Stakka
  • Like 1

That turned out great all the way around. I'm not sure I can pick my favorite part!

Oh, where to begin...

As this is my first critique on this forum, I'll try and keep things nice and encouraging.. ;)

*looks at pics again*

Actually, it is something of a real pleasure to say that I don't even have to try!

Watching this model progress from a half-finished (and somewhat naked) build to the splendidly finished (and loaded for bear) aircraft model above has actually been a bit surprising. Whilst I was in no doubt that ol' Stax was a bit good (although a tad lazy with brush discipline), the pics above of the cockpit are by no means bad at all -I am almost tempted to say 'rather good' upon further consideration of Stakka's aversion to bristle sticks. In all seriousness, it is clear to see that quite a bit of care was taken when painting that cockpit and its especially nice to see that you have opted for a nice, clean-looking, neatly painted finish to that area as opposed to a quick scrub with a drybrush before simply flooding everything with a wash. The ONLY criticism being that with the same care that you applied to those ejector seat release handles being applied to the some of the instrument paneling (and I do think that you are quite capable of doing it), you'd have really boosted the 'ooh' factor.

Nevertheless, I am genuinely impressed.

As for the rest of the model (as you know, I tend to fixate on interior detail), another thing that impresses is your way with decal solvents! (If you can pull the same trick with the under-wing roundels on that Spitfire - those beautifully detailed, hard edged, cartridge ejector flaps are pigs - I hereby promise, in front of all here at Britmodeller, to buy you a pint or two the next time you are down this way! (with a chaser - I'll be so impressed). Another noteworthy point being the care you have taken with ALL of those decals! So very many decals... Whilst I rather like stencils and feel that they add a lot of interest to a model, the temptation when confronted by SO MANY OF THEM to leave some of the less visible ones off must have been strong.. I am no expert on the Phantom, but you do seem to have resisted the urge to slack.

One thing that actually grates is that you seem to have got the hang of this sludge-washing lark and manage to get a result that looks annoyingly natural - I just got a labour-intensive mess when I tried it :( *mutter* what makes it grate even more is that you make it look and sound easy..

Grrrrrr

My competitive gland is also agitated by your results with Alclad :lol: (so I figure that your Mustang is really going to bug me...

So, in summary, if you are not already doing so (or haven't already done so), sit back with a well deserved, satisfied smile and feel rather proud of that build, its most definitely a good 'un.

EDIT: Oh, and the build diary was well scribed and informative too - excellent for your first!

More please.

Edited by Nephilim

Neph - welcome aboard the Britmodeller forum. :thumbsup:

Many thanks for taking the time to have a look and to extend such kind words. Coming from yourself makes the praise that much more valuable.

We'll have a another natter soon about the other aspects in your post - but yes, rest assured I will take a brush back to the cockpit soon - hence me leaving the seats / canopies loose for the time being in order to get decent access.

In case other readers did not know Neph is a fairly recent but good friend / aquiantance but is without doubt someone we need to encourage to post up some of his modelling work on here - jawdroppingly good brush painting skills, an all round modelling geeeeeenihuss and a real analytical / helpful approach to assisting and critiquing anything of a modelling nature.

Let's hope to see some posting soon eh ? You know it makes sense Neph :coolio:

Thanks again !

Wow! How did I miss this until now? Fantastic job on a big beastie.

I tackled the original Revell US 1:32 Phantom back in the eighties. Virtually every thing was either scratchbuilt or heavily modified in order to make it look even a little like a Phantom. Probably the worst kit ever made. I would have taken out a second mortgage on the house back then to have this Tamiya kit! You've done a wonderful, beautiful job - you deserve as many pints of your favorite ale as you can hold!

Cheers,

Bill

Wow! How did I miss this until now? Fantastic job on a big beastie.

I tackled the original Revell US 1:32 Phantom back in the eighties. Virtually every thing was either scratchbuilt or heavily modified in order to make it look even a little like a Phantom. Probably the worst kit ever made. I would have taken out a second mortgage on the house back then to have this Tamiya kit! You've done a wonderful, beautiful job - you deserve as many pints of your favorite ale as you can hold!

Cheers,

Bill

Thank you Bill.

I wonder if that Revell phantom was the one my parents got for me when I was a nipper - back in the 80's. All I can remember is that it had a removable engine and the canopies had little clear hinges on them to allow you to pose them up or down but they broke off even before I got a chance to build the darn thing. It was probably the last model I made until I took modelling up again a couple of years ago - I did try to do a quick search for it just before this build began for nostalgic reasons... however come to think of it then maybe yes, it was better left back in the 80's ^_^