Boston III

Ian

Got to cut some plastic on my Boston this morning, but thought I'd quickly post-up a pic of my references:

Bostonrefs.jpg

Started the masking last night, and thanks to Eduard got it all finished in 90mins.

Boston1a.jpg

Sprayed the interior just before we went on hols, so this morning had a couple of hours and did this !!

Boston1b.jpg

And here she goes on a low-level raid across my workbench - all taped-up for the camera !

Boston1c.jpg

As ever I'll post-up the pics as and when, but I'm comitted to the Phantom STGB aswell so progress will be patchy. Thanks for taking the time to look.

Ian

Edited by Ian

Ha! I wish I'd gone the Eduard mask route when I did mine last year - took me bloody ages with scalpel and Tamiya tape to do all those glass panes!

Andy

Got a couple of hours yesterday to do this:

Boston2a.jpg

Boston2b.jpg

Boston2c.jpg

Boston2d.jpg

As you you can see the nose section needed a fair degree of filling and blending. Another big problem is the sheer amount of flash, especially on some of the smaller parts, enough to make some of them unrecognisable. As for 'nose weight', do you think six grub screws should be enough ??

Boston2e.jpg

AFN, thanks for taking the time to look.

Ian

And after another two-hour session this morning, it now looks like an aeroplane !

Boston3a.jpg

Boston3b.jpg

More filler needed around the glazing/front section join and a lot of blending needed at the base of the fin.... tomorrow, I'll spray 'green' around the transpearencies, and start on another project !

Ian

Tamiya XF5 'Flat Green' sprayed:

Boston3a-1.jpg

Boston3b-1.jpg

Boston3c.jpg

Nothing now till middle of next week. Thanks for taking the time to look.

Ian

Edited by Ian

I`ve probably missed it somewhere but is this the 1/72nd Special Hobby kit or the old AMT 1/48th kit? Sorry if it is a daft question!! I`m building a Special Hobby 72nd scale Boston Mk.IV and have found the nose to be a very poor fit but your nose looks quite nice, so I`m wondering if they have altered the size of the parts for the older nose or whether I`ve made a cock up, thats if yours is the smaller scale kit too?

Cheers

Tony O

I`ve probably missed it somewhere but is this the 1/72nd Special Hobby kit or the old AMT 1/48th kit? Sorry

Tony O

Tony - It's the old AMT kit in the re-issued Italeri boxing, the nose section isn't too good, but responds well when threatened with Squadron 'White Stuff' and several sanding sticks !!

Ian

I found the best way to fix the ill fitting nose was to glue the nose pieces to the respective fueslage half. This then leaves only a small seam down the centre rather than a larger seam in multiple places.

Pre-Shading done on Friday last. Tamiya 'Tank Grey' overall and Flat Black for the hinge recesses on the ailerons, flaps etc.

Boston4a.jpg

Boston4b.jpg

Next, I'll paint-up the engines and attach the cowls. Then back to the paint-shed on Friday for the first of the camouflage coats.

AFN

Ian

Not worth posting any photos just yet, but sprayed a couple of light coats of Tamiya 'Sky' on the undersides yesterday. Will get it masked-off over the weekend and should be able to spray the Dk. Earth or Dk. Green in the middle of the week. Next pics will be the completed camouflage prior to the decalling.

AFN

Ian

Not worth posting any photos just yet, but sprayed a couple of light coats of Tamiya 'Sky' on the undersides yesterday. Will get it masked-off over the weekend and should be able to spray the Dk. Earth or Dk. Green in the middle of the week. Next pics will be the completed camouflage prior to the decalling.

AFN

Ian

Good luck Ian, looking forward to the pictures.

AFN

Ian

Now that's just nasty, leaving us in suspense like that. :D

Looking great so far AFN. :clap2:

Deacon

Took a wee bit longer than I anticipated, but that is because I was very complacent about my masking, and scr*w*d-it-up almost totally. Anyhoos here it is done, some touching-up on the undersides needed.

Boston5a.jpg

Boston5b.jpg

Boston5c.jpg

Boston5d.jpg

Because of my shift pattern I'll not be able to any more for a week or so. More pics then.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...