IJN Battleship Kongo

Shar2

IJN Battleship Kongo

1/350

This recently released etch set continues White Ensign Models series of Japanese warship detail upgrades.

As is usual for White Ensign Models, the instructions are in A4 portrait format. The diagrams and instructions are very clear, along with useful hints and tips to get the best out of this set and the most out of the model.

Instructions.jpg

Supplied on two 11.5 x 7 inch sheets, the 181 parts are beautifully relief etched and, no matter how many of these frets I see, I’m still amazed at the amount of detail they include. Due to the size of the deck parts, there seems to be some “warpage” of fret B. Whilst it doesn’t look great, it shouldn’t be a problem when fitting the parts, just use some clamps or weights until the glue sets. I’m not sure why this happens or if WEM can do anything to alleviate it, but I have seen it on other sets where whole decks are re-produced in this way.

Etch%20A.jpg

Etch%20B.jpg

A nice touch with this set is that it can be used, not only with the Fujimi IJN Kongo, but also with the Aoshima version of the Kongo, and their Kirishima, the main differences between the ships being the flight decks and catapults fitted. On the WEM website it states that they haven’t been able to check that this set will be useable with the Fujimi Haruna. Well, after much comparison with the instructions and those of my own Haruna kit, I can state that you can use this set. In fact the Haruna is very similar to the Kirishima, although the modeller will still need to do some research on each ship just to make sure.

Aircraft%20platform.jpg

Catapults.jpg

The main differences between the Kongo and the Kirishima/Haruna seem to be the aircraft handling deck and catapults both types of which are supplied. With this in mind it would be possible to fully detail one model and, with an additional railing set, partially detail another, which makes this set quite good value.

Conclusion

Another superb etch set from White Ensign Models. The fact that it’s not limited to one manufacturers’ kit makes it even better value. Other AM companies would have made a set for each kit out, which, if like me, you have a Kongo, Kirishima and Haruna would get rather expensive. So, if you have one of these ships, get this set, you really need it.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of John at

logo.jpg

• 4 weeks later...