Alita - Battle Angel Alita

Paul B

This 1/8 resin GK is of Alita from the manga Gunnm[Gun Dreams] the US/UK title is Battle Angel Alita - the manga consists of 9 volumes in the original series and is currently on volume 9 in the Last Order series, which picks up the story from the end of vol.8 of the original.

Battle Angel Alita is one of the earliest manga's that I stared to collect over 14 years ago. Now I have a little Alita of my own :D

Still under wraps.

alita1.jpg

body... added the pins and a touch of milliput around the arm/neck joints for a better join come build time.

alita2.jpg

All the bits have been primmed and sanded back to get rid of those nasty bits.

alita3.jpg

Edited by Paul B

:D

The pins should be ok, just :) The leg pins are slightly longer (1/8") than the upper body pins, plus I'll be using Araldite rather than CA for glueing purposes.

You can just make out in the pro'mo photo that she has one hand running through her hair. This should help to strengthen up the upper body area without the need to over do the pinning :pray: Something not shown yet, the back of her knees are hollow but three tendons/thick wires need to placed there, strengthening that area up.

I'm anticipating the hair to be the biggest problem in terms of getting the fit right, having the right hand there means some filling might be required after everything is in place and painted :(

Edited by Paul B

Another one for the conveyorbelt. Watching with interest. What would all the CCM mountain bikers think if they could see your work? Probably think you'd gone all "anorak" on them :lol:

More bits done... sprayed the jacket, lower legs and arms - dry build.

alita4.jpg

alita5.jpg

Back in peices again, lighted the colouring of the jacket (boots still to do), body & bits are complete. Hair needs a final touch-up and the face has only had a white base applied :)

alita6.jpg

Edited by Paul B

Looking good Paul, as usual! I've got the Anime on VHS, have fish it out and watch it again.

BTW I fogot that I did do a large scale figure way back in the 70's, the Aurora Frankenstein's Monster (A Glow In The Dark issue).

Paul Harrison

The Anime is quite good but is only loosely based on the story from the comic - In the movie Alita wipes some blood onto her face creating two streaks under her eyes and down to her jaw line. In the Comic version these streaks are silver and are part of the Beserker body she is given after her original cyborg body is distroyed in a fight...

Started work on the head this morning. Shaded the upper eye area & lower jaw, added a couple of thin coats of the main flesh colour and sealed it with satin varnish. Hand painted the eyebrows and the tuft of hair, also applied a thin gloss red wash to the lips and upper eye lids. Masked ready for the two streakes on her face. The pre-shade didn't work to well so I'll give it the once over when everything is ready for it.

alita7.jpgalita8.jpg

alita9.jpgalita10.jpg

alita11.jpg

As normal my masking skills are crap, the semi-gloss black seaped under the edges and I had to scrape it away useing a knife :( The final pic is after about 1 hour of touch up work useing a brush and the thined flesh colour... more work still required then I can start on the eyes :)

Edited by Paul B

Just being super critical about my work at the moment as I'm trying to improve my standerds a little :)

I'm just about happy with the head after spending another 1/2 hour toching-up late last nght and 10 min's this morning giving the cheeks and forehead a very light sand with 1500 grit s/p. Just to add a bit of scale I used a 1p... (can't belive I only have 18p to hand :( )

alita12.jpg

Added the final coat of chrome to the streaks & ear stud, a toch of shade under the eyebrows, ears and back of the mouth. A bit more black on the right eyebrow and applied the first thin layer of white (oil paint) to the eyes :D

Edited by Paul B

Looking great Paul, it's a really good likeness. Have you ever used Maskol or any other type of masking fluid? I find it useful for small details. That masking tape looks kind of hard to use on such a small piece. I've used blu-tack for masking too but it sometimes leaves a greasy residue on the paint.

HTH

Paul Harrison

I've got some Maskol sat on the work top. As it was such a small area to be masked I didn't think to use it. Perhaps I should have used just a small amount to seal the edges of the tape :hmmm:

Wainting for things to dry on this one, but everything apart from the eyes is ready for the final build :D

Edited by Paul B

Bloody hell! That was fast Paul! Do you have to do much filling/sanding on these kits because the resin looks extremely smooth compared to the resin aircraft kits I've got?

Paul Harrison

The guys at E2046 real know how to pour their resin. I've had 10 kits from them so far (11 more on order :D ) and only one has required any real work to build, even then it was only the amount of flash on the 100 plus bits that created the work. I herd a lot of bad things about Thai Resin Re-casts but haven't had those issues yet with this lot in Hong Kong. Think with this kit I spent three days cleaning, sanding & priming and another three doing all the airbrush work. I've spent the largest amount of time working on the head.

I've seen some of the aircraft resin parts when they've been posted in the builds and thought that looks a bit rough, but there's a lot more detailing on the aircraft kits than the figures. Plus the scale is so much smaller it must be difficult to cast.

With my next build I'll take a few photo's while I'm cleaning up the resin, this'll give you a better idea of what they're like straight out of the bag..

|-( )-|

Just wait until you see the powered Armour Suit from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Solid State Society, just lovely... even comes with poly joints so it can be posed once complete :D

Edited by Paul B

The guys at E2046 real know how to pour their resin. I've had 10 kits from them so far (11 more on order :D ) and only one has required any real work to build, even then it was only the amount of flash on the 100 plus bits that created the work. I herd a lot of bad things about Thai Resin Re-casts but haven't had those issues yet with this lot in Hong Kong. Think with this kit I spent three days cleaning, sanding & priming and another three doing all the airbrush work. I've spent the largest amount of time working on the head.

I've seen some of the aircraft resin parts when they've been posted in the builds and thought that looks a bit rough, but there's a lot more detailing on the aircraft kits than the figures. Plus the scale is so much smaller it must be difficult to cast.

With my next build I'll take a few photo's while I'm cleaning up the resin, this'll give you a better idea of what they're like straight out of the bag..

|-( )-|

Just wait until you see the powered Armour Suit from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Solid State Society, just lovely... even comes with poly joints so it can be posed once complete :D

Thanks Paul, the pre clean-up pics will be very handy! I'll be looking forward to seeing the PowerArmour kit. :thumbsup:

07-12-07

I read some of the early Altias...terrific story...didn't like the anime, but hope they try again.

Looking forward to seeing this done

Liam

James Cameron (Aliens, Terminator & T2 (T2:3D), True Lies, The Abyss, Titanic etc.) is currently finishing Avatar (based on the cartoon) and is due to start work on a Live Action version of Battle Angel Alita in 2010. He's said if both Avatar & Battle Angel do well, each film will be the first of a trillogy :D

Edited by Paul B

Hi Paul ,

All these Manga inspired figures are great.

Whats the best place to browse/purchase them online?.

My daughter got a look at Ryoko while i was browsing earlier and was quite taken with it and seemed interested in wanting to paint one (I think it was the cute rabbit!).

Cheers

Shane.

Hi Gwart, a different Paul here! The real Paul pointed me to E2046. Linky http://e2046.com/

Lots of very cool figures there.

HTH

Paul Harrison

PS The little rabbit thing is Ryo-oki IIRC and later in the anime series turns into a starship!

Hi Gwart (Shane).

As Paul H pointed out I use E2046 in Hong Kong & the cute little rabbit is indeed Ryo-Ohki & a space ship. Both Ryoko and Ryo-Ohki are listed on the Tenchi Muyo page. Ayeka, Sasami & Ryoko are currently only available to pre-order. Dependant upon how popular a kit is, it might only be a couple of weeks wait or it could be 10 months plus before a kit comes into stock.

Have fun :D

Nearly every original Manga/Anime based kit available in the UK has come from Japan and carries a higher price for it. The figure market over there is biased towards pre-painted models rather than kits, so re-casts (Garage Kits) are the way to go if you want to build and paint them yourself. I found theAnime Model Shop on E-bay early this week, but don't know what the quality of the kits are like (heared bad things about Thai re-casts). The kit prices are about the same as E2046, but the shipping looks to be more on the e-bay shop.

Some UK shops that do Manga/Anime models:

United Publications Comics, DVD's and kits

Mech-A Mecha (robot) kits

Gundam Mad Mainly Gundam kits and a few other Mecha

Frontier Models Si-Fi & Fantasy kits