Tamiya 1/35 PzKpfw II ausf F

Hi chaps,

Just been on holiday for a week, but before that I started this Tamiya Panzer II. Never having done a tank before, and only back to modelling in this past year, I wanted something that was cheap so that it wouldn't matter if I made a mess of it Also I wanted to see what LuckyModel were like for ordering to New Zealand (result - very good!). It's a pretty ancient kit, originally from the early seventies I think, so possibly older than me. It was really quick to put together, I've left off doing the figures that came with it, so only about half the sprues were needed.

DSCF1564.jpg

I banged it all together pretty quickly, and it looks nice and tanky to me.

DSCF1565.jpg

Gave it a light grey undercoat, and the vinyl tracks a coat of red brown - all airbrushed Tamiya acrylics/

S6301180.jpg

I've given it a desert scheme, with a dark brown oil wash, then had a go with chipping with a lightened version of the top coat & some dark grey. Maybe a bit heavy handed in places, I had trouble with the surface tension of the paint keeping it in big blobs.

The tracks were given a wash of pastel pigment & white spirit, then a rub down with a graphite pencil. Graphite was used on the MG & canon too. Decals on, and it's looking pretty close to being finished to me.

A bit of sunlight today meant I could get some halfway decent pictures.

DSCF1693.jpg

DSCF1694.jpg

I'm going to fade the markings a bit, and put some 'dust' over the tracks & roadwheels. (and I'll put the tracks on the right way round :tapedshut: ). I've also got a bit of aluminium with holes punched in that I'm going to try to put on the exhaust, to try to replicate what I've seen on the more detailed newer kits.

What do you reckon - any constructive criticism?

I'm going to fade the markings a bit, and put some 'dust' over the tracks & roadwheels. (and I'll put the tracks on the right way round :tapedshut: ). I've also got a bit of aluminium with holes punched in that I'm going to try to put on the exhaust, to try to replicate what I've seen on the more detailed newer kits.

I think you've got it all covered there already Chris - good work :thumbsup:

Hi Chris

Great looking panzer II and great effort for your first tank. They can be quite adictive! You are right about Luckymodel too, especially with the kiwi dollor strong at the mo!

Thanks for sharing.

Richard. :speak_cool:

Cheers guys. It was the chipping that worried me, as it felt like I was doing a bit too much. However, looking around at various forums, I'm aware that chipping on AFVs is a topic a bit like panel lines & weathering on planes. Some folk get quite vocal about the fact that the real tank (plane, etc) usually had a short service life & was generally well cared for by the guys who had to rely on it to save their skins. So to them, it doesn't look authentic.

Each to his own, I reckon. :shrug:

looks good. wheels and tracks dont match the condition of the rest of the tank though. good you havent overdone it though.

looks good. wheels and tracks dont match the condition of the rest of the tank though. good you havent overdone it though.

He did say that he had to weather the wheels & tracks. But if you're talking a scenrio of the vehicle being parked up for a day or two after running through wet sandy ground the tracks would be just about solid rust, i.e. a complete covering in rust, but once back on the road the rust would be off the tracks in less than a mile of sandy ground. Regimental HQ vehicles did a lot less movement than sabre troop/Sqn vehicles, one of the reasons was that the crew had other jobs to do and one or more of the vehicles crew would be kept busy on higher command tasks.

When you consider care of the vehicles, the armament would be first followed by engine/transmission and then the roadwheels/sprockets/etc, the paintwork of the vehicle would be covered either under depot maintanance or rest periods when nothing else needed doing.

Different armies did different things with their vehicles, back in the 80s we used to do a 40k round trip to a washdown after a CPX to clean the wagons, we'd add a few miles to that as we relieved a little stress as we had a good ole bomb around the neighbouring training area before returning to the washdown to clean the wagons. On top of that the vehicles were painted yearly without fail, we even bough spray guns so that the limited supply of paint would go further. The Bundeswehr were quite different, their wagons (Leopards) got a basic clean with loads of dirt left in the crannies and the vehicles were only painted during depot rebuilds, which came more frequently than ours, or perhaps their track milage was more than ours and as a result got used more.

Hope this helps.

Great looking tank, as regards the chipping, have you thought about going down to your local art shop and getting some silver or pewter coloured pencils, these will help you put on finer chips. HTH

Pete