Dornier Do 17 Z-2

Paul A H

Dornier Do 17 Z-2

1:72 Revell

dornier17z2boxtop.jpg

The Dornier Do 17, nicknamed the Fliegender Bleistift or flying pencil due to its slender shape, was a light bomber designed by Dornier Flugzeugwerke in the mid-1930s. Along with the Heinkel He 111, the Do 17 carried out the lion’s share of bombing raids against the UK up to the end of the Battle of Britain. The Do 17 Z was the main production variant and featured a redesigned forward fuselage that was enlarged in order to accommodate a rear gunner. The Z-2 sub-variant featured new engines that provided additional take-off power which in turn allowed heavier bomb loads to be carried.

dornier17z2sprue1.jpg

dornier17z2sprue2.jpg

dornier17z2sprue3.jpg

Revell’s Do 17 is a re-release of a Monogram kit that has been around for a fair while now. It’ a fairly simple affair, made up of just 59 parts spread across 4 sprues of grey plastic and one of clear. The moulds look to be in reasonably good shape; there is little sign of flash, although there is the odd sink mark here and there, particularly on the optional stand provided for those who wish to build their model ‘in flight’. Panel lines are of the fine, raised variety and look pretty nice. The weak point of the kit is the location of some of the ejector pin marks. As you might have guessed from the low part count, items such as the tail planes are moulded as single pieces. This means that the lower surface of the vertical tail and the inside surfaces of the horizontal tails feature fairly large, raised pin marks that will be awkward to remove without losing some of the raised detail.

dornier17z2sprue4.jpg

dornier17z2sprue5.jpg

Detail in the cockpit is fairly respectable for the age of the kit. A floor, control column, and proper crew seats are all provided. The instrument panel and cockpit sidewalls all feature basic, raise detail. The wings are as simple as simple can be, being comprised of just top and bottom halves, including engine nacelles. As mentioned above, the tail surfaces are made up of just 3 parts plus control horns for the elevators. The undercarriage is actually rather nice, although the engraved detail on the tyres is slightly too heavy. The airscrews are moveable so long as the builder is willing to take a hot screwdriver to the back end of the drive shafts. I’m guessing most modellers will glue theirs in place! Engine faces are moulded in to the nacelles, but look quite nice. The transparent parts are rather good; they are reasonably thin, clear and feature quite subtle framework.

dornier17z2decals.jpg

2 colour schemes are provided:

• Dornier Do 17 Z-2 of II. KG 2 “Holzhammer”, Merville, France, June 1940; and

• Dornier Do 17 Z-2 of Stab. II / KG-3 “Blitz-Geschwader”, Antwerp-Deurne, Belgium, January 1941.

Both aircraft are finished in RLM 71/RLM 70/RLM 65. Decals are the usual Revell quality; crisp, clear and nicely printed.

Conclusion

Although this is by no means a state-of-the-art kit, it does have some nice qualities and should be fairly straightforward to put together.

Review sample courtesy of

logo-revell-2009.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at this its the same one they released about a decade ago, which I took to be the ?? Frog mould ( I don't recall there being a stand with the last release, but then again I haven't put a model on stand for over 30 years).

Although its a simple kit I liked it then as it looks the part straight out the box, nice to see this Do 17Z back in the shops, but pity it wasn't in time for last years BofB 70th, but more of a pity its not 1/32 scale.

Edited by Radpoe Spitfire

Looking at this its the same one they released about a decade ago, which I took to be the ?? Frog mould ( I don't recall there being a stand with the last release, but then again I haven't put a model on stand for over 30 years).

Although its a simple kit I liked it then as it looks the part straight out the box, nice to see this Do 17Z back in the shops, but pity it wasn't in time for last years BofB 70th, but more of a pity its not 1/32 scale.

No, it's the old Monogram kit (it still says so on the stand). This is the first time I've had a chance to look at the sprues of this kit. It's always had a good reputation and I must say that, despite its age, I like what I see. Which is not to say there isn't a crying need for a state of the art BoB-era Do 17 in 1/72.

It's always possible that the older release was the Frog one, but this one clearly isn't from the part breakdown - not to mention minor issues like "it still says so"!

There were three Do17s around at much the same time, and much the same decent quality for the period, but I don't think I ever saw the Lindberg one.

No, it's the old Monogram kit (it still says so on the stand). This is the first time I've had a chance to look at the sprues of this kit. It's always had a good reputation and I must say that, despite its age, I like what I see. Which is not to say there isn't a crying need for a state of the art BoB-era Do 17 in 1/72.

From what you have said and with the current parts and sprue layout being familiar the last release must have been the Monogram kit. When I bought the kit last time the Frog release was the only one I knew of at that time- now I'm on the slidey slope to the big 50, my mind must be getting a bit foggy.

Needless to say, when I get chance I will buy one, if only 'cos I enjoyed the build last time.

• 2 years later...

Revell’s Do 17 is a re-release of a Monogram kit that has been around for a fair while now.

You're not kidding - I can remember purchasing the original Monogram kit during a visit to New Jersey - and that was way back in 1969 :analintruder:

Still, it's not bad for a 44 year old kit.

Ken