SAMI June edition

Benson

Just browsing the June edition and i see the Revell 1/48 F-15 E review, a well detailed, great kit with great aftermarket decals..........

So how suprised was i to find that the kit is sooooooo hard to find, AND TwoBobs list their decal sheet as "sold out , probably won't be reprinted".

Whats the point of showing modellers what you "could" build, but only if its already in your stash? :angrysoapbox.sml:

I finished the artical feeling inspired, but soon hit mother earth with a bang when searching the t'interweb for the products.

Simon.

A slightly frustrated tigermeet fan.

Edited by Benson

Was it a review, or a build article? If its the former, yes it would be a bit pointless, however if its the latter, not pointless at all - articles can be inspirational, they can give you ideas on skills and techniques - and modellers do have kits in the "stash"....

Was it a review, or a build article? If its the former, yes it would be a bit pointless, however if its the latter, not pointless at all - articles can be inspirational, they can give you ideas on skills and techniques - and modellers do have kits in the "stash"....

The article revolves around the quality of the kit and how well it goes together. Number of sprues in box, flash or not, decals provided etc. A little is mentioned about adding aftermarket, but only to state the manufacturer/item no. There is very little in there about techniques, just a basic whats in the box, it goes together like this, i had these problems and added these extra bits......

The conclusion ends with "for a kit with such accuracy and such a reasonable price, it is in my opinion the only way to go".

I am aware that modellers have kits in the stash, i have, but the article may as well have been based on a kit that went out of production 20yrs ago. "Dont bother being inspired if you dont have one in the stash" or "now go and buy the more expensive, inferior kit and some totally different decals" wouldn't have been the messages i'd have put my money on.

I actually liked the article. Its a great looking build. Thats probably what was most disapointing, to find out that there'd be little chance of using either the kit or the afm decals.

Edited by Benson

• 2 weeks later...

Strange sounds like a kit review. I thought this kit was released ages ago. Its generally supposed to be the best F-15E kit though. Maybe a re-release is coming?

Julien

To me, a huge conversion work, but the results are mixed...

Do you mean mixed in terms of accuracy or quality?

As for the OP's complaint, it's completely invalid in my opinion. It's not billed as a review in the magazine and simply sits alongside other 'build feature'-type articles in the magazine. Furthermore, it was a very widely available kit, must still be easy to buy, and he used some aftermarket, which some people would say immediately invalidates it as a 'review'.

In quality, I mean.

In my opinion, the quality of the paint is really not up to the work done in the conversion.

Yeah, I agree. But I find myself looking at it and wondering if it is a quality problem or a personal preference problem.

That' pretty difficult to say, as the work done on the conversion is quite huge...

I'm a new susbcriber to the magasine (In fact a returning subscriber, after more than six years), and I was quite surprised.