Italeri 1/72 Boeing Fortress I

Seahawk

I see that the ad for Italeri in the latest issue of "Model Airplane International" trails a 1/72 Boeing Fortress I. 4 marking options covering more or less their whole service history (delivery in natural metal, sky undersides, deep sky blue undersides and NR-L in Coastal Command markings). Presumably this will be a rebox of the Academy kit. All the same, if this has already been mentioned in the toy fair write-ups, it had passed me by.

Not Deep Sky Blue as thought at the time but PRU Blue, as discovered on wreckage in Norway and on appropriate memo, info presented by Geoff Thomas.

Aha, 1-0. I win myself a jam tart. Not only the score but the scorer. My info came from Ernie Lee yonks back. I haven't read the Paul Lucas articles recently.

Neither have I (or at least not to quote from). I recall it from GT's original work - I don't recall whether it was in Scale Models or SAM. I think it was the wreckage that was reported first, and it caused a bit of an outrage from those who thought the original commentator (Rupert Payne?) could do no wrong - to be fair he was dead on almost all of the time. Mike Bowyer called it something else altogether - Azure Blue? A very controversial subject, but I must admit I thought that GT's evidence had nailed it, particularly when he came up with the memo authorising it.

Neither have I (or at least not to quote from). I recall it from GT's original work - I don't recall whether it was in Scale Models or SAM. I think it was the wreckage that was reported first, and it caused a bit of an outrage from those who thought the original commentator (Rupert Payne?) could do no wrong - to be fair he was dead on almost all of the time. Mike Bowyer called it something else altogether - Azure Blue? A very controversial subject, but I must admit I thought that GT's evidence had nailed it, particularly when he came up with the memo authorising it.

At about the time Ernie sent me his answer, Frank Marshall had either acquired or seen some wreckage of a Fortress I shot down in Norway. I no longer recall or maybe never knew whether his findings informed Ernie's response. But either way, uncovering the memo authorising the finish does rather nail it, as you say. BTW, GT's findings might also have been in the shortlived "Aircraft Modelworld" of the 1980s.