Airfix Severn Class Lifeboat -

John

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

My first post on your site, I have here the Gift set with the number of HOR01 F39467 A98668-33-07.

The plastic seems ok, I cut the lower hull from the sprue with no major problems and it seems to clean up ok. This will be my first floaty thing in ages as I'm primarily an armour modeller.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...
I've been coming to much the same conclusions as Matt. I wonder if some "test shots", for want of a better expression, got in with the first production batch.

Both of my kits are in what I'd describe as standard Airfix plastic, and it looks like the one Bill posted a photo of at the beginning of this thread is the same. I would be interested in seeing one of these rogues, and my offer to Matt to buy his stands, if he wants to get rid of it.

John

Hi all

Havent looked in for a while, I am the RNLI engineer who helped develop this kit with Airfix, I work in the RNLI engineering and Design Office in Poole.

I built the original prototype kit and I have to say that it was pretty good with no sink holes the fit on the fwd end of the wheelhouse roof was a little dodgy but apart from that it went together fine with very little filling required. It may be that Airfix changed moulders originally these were going to be made in Portugal when it was still Airfix but since Hornby took over who knows could be China for all we know.

I have always liked a few imperfections in kits it makes you apply the art of model making and problem solving I have always found it satisfying to take a bad kit (not that this is one of those) and turn it into something worthy of the display case.

If anyone has any questions on the Severn post them under a seperate forum and I will try to look in from time to time (work permitting) and answer them.

Regards to all

Al

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...