1/72 Tornado F.3 ADV as ZE764

mctrl87

Hello Everyone, this is my first internet build and my first group build so please wish me luck! :)

This will be a mostly OOB build of the Revell boxing (04375) of the Italeri Tornado F.3 mould in 1/72, with the exception of the ejector seats which I will replace with Pavla Resin Mk10A Martin-Baker ejector seats.

2113yz.jpg

I've decided to go with ZE764 as depicted in the artwork on the front/sides of the Revell box using; Humbrol Enamels and brushes for the Painting, Micro Set / Micro Sol for decal application, Humbrol Precision Poly for assembly, Tamiya 6mm masking tape for masking and dry fitting.

I plan to start the build by going over all the panel lines with my scriber (Hasegawa Try Tool) so they wont be lost when it comes to sanding or painting.

If anyone has any tips or advice with regards to this kit I would love to hear from you! :D

Edited by mctrl87

Welcome to BM & the GB!!!

It's a easy enough to make kit with no dramas.the only thing you really need to do is change the rear cockpit IP with a bit of deft knifework.Don't forget to check the ref stickey.

Regards,

Merv

Many thanks guys! :D

Modifying the rear cockpit IP looks like it could be a real challenge! :beer: Still I'm up for having a go. :) Although I'm not sure where to start. :hmmm:

I also forgot to mention before that this will be a wheels up build.

Edited by mctrl87

Okay so here we go! First off the obligatory box / sprue shots:

dsc0001os.th.jpg dsc0003pu.th.jpg

Next step is to deepen/re-scribe all the panel lines, will probably start with the tail planes and wings.

Edited by mctrl87

Nice to see another F3! I'm doing the Hasegawa version of the kit, be interesting to see them both as there have been a few threads asking what the merits of each kit are.

Is there anyway you can make the pictures bigger? They appear tiny to me (could just be of course!).

Good luck!

Phil

Thanks for checking out my build! I'll be sure to check your build out as I too am interested in which moulding is generally best overall. As for the pictures just click them to make them bigger ;)

Edited by mctrl87

Since my last post I have finished re-scribing all the panel lines on the wings and tail planes.

dsc0028nx.th.jpg

Comparison: without and with re-scribing

dsc0008ak.th.jpg

Re-scribing complete

I have also assembled the wing pylons minus the Sidewinders.

dsc0023og.th.jpg

Speaking of Sidewinders, I have decided not to use the ones provided in the kit as I have 4 leftover from an Airfix Harrier FA2 kit which are much more detailed then the Revell/Italeri offering. :)

That's all for now I hope to post back with more progress soon!

Nice work so far, Lee.

There is one thing puzzling me though.

Why is your cutting mat so clean? :whistle:

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for the kind comments! I only recently upgraded to a proper cutting mat (YAY!) from an old A3 desk pad so I am still breaking in the cutting mat ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sorry about not posting any updates for quite a while, but after an intense couple of weeks this entry is now finally finished! Thank goodness for the extra day! I am extra happy about finishing this as its my 3rd attempt with the previous two not making it to completion for one reason or another, but as the old saying goes if at first you don't succeed... :D

Overall this kit was a right pain in the neck at times, like having to re-scribe all the panel lines because the detail on this kit was so weak, but it does have its advantages such as working swing wings, rotating wing pylons and working ailerons. :D

Click the pics to enlarge. :)

dsc0051rt.th.jpgdsc0053ul.th.jpgdsc0064lz.th.jpgdsc0080yc.th.jpg

dsc0081rf.th.jpgdsc0090nj.th.jpgdsc0074cl.th.jpgdsc0071zc.th.jpg

dsc0069aru.th.jpgdsc0046yj.th.jpgdsc0059fl.th.jpgdsc0061kg.th.jpg

dsc0098aq.th.jpg

Edited by mctrl87

Thanks for the kind words Jonners! :D I really liked your build too. :worthy: I would love to have a go at the Hobbyboss 1/48 F.3 but I've never done scratch building / heavy modification work before and wouldn't feel confident making the excellent modifications you have. If only an after market company could come out with a kit to correct the nose section, canopy and wing gloves, to name a few. :please: