1:48 Wolfpack Su-33 Sea Flanker Conversion Set

Tonka

Regarding this set ( at US$ 150,00) I would like to know IF the radome for the Su-33 is correct or We will need the Quickboost part ?

Otherwise it looks very impressive !

Thank You and Good Luck .

Tonka

Edited by Tonka

i just took delivery of this set and its simply incredible and weighs a ton

although i kinda wish i could have used the original windmark nose instead of wolfpack one as suggested in the instructions

i think the panel scribing and casting is better on that one anyhow we'll see when the build commences

i'm with you on this question tonka ,as far as i was aware the radome is the same on the Su-33 as on the su-27

( i could be wrong there are some far more knowledgable people than me on this subject)

we already know thats not accurate so why does it suggest using the kit one in the instructions ??? :hmmm:

i will be using the quickboost one though on mine and just pinning it somehow ?

jim.

I would like to know IF the radome for the Su-33 is correct or We will need the Quickboost part ?

Tonka, forget the Quickboost radome 'n' get the Miniarm one; not only does it fit the Academy Flanker kits like a "gluve," but also it's got the "luvly" metal pitot tube.

Cheers there,

Unc²

• 3 weeks later...

Mine showed up today, used the Luckymodels 10% discount during their sale and also took advantage of the free posting. This made it not that much dissimilar in price to the Windmark base kit, plus I got wheels, cockpit and pods etc. I will decide when I have a proper look if I will use the wolfpack pit or get an Aires or Neomega one.

This will represent the most expensive kit/conversion I have ever done, eclipsing a Miniarm T-90 converted from a Tamiya T-72 I did a few years ago. I have some Begemot decals, Eduard missile PE and Aires exhausts on the way for it as well....

As mentioned in the earlier posts, a quick check of Wolfpacks own provided front end shows the quality isn't as good as the Windmark version, the panels are just not as detailed (rivets etc.) and the panel lines look a bit rushed. I will have a look at the various nose options - Windmark part, wolfpack part with kit nose or Wolfpack part with aftermarket nose before I decide what to do, I may lay them all out on some plans tonight if I get chance. I am thinking about have a go at removing the resin from the windmark version and fitting the pit into it.

Overall, however, it looks a quality piece of work, the Windmark original parts look gorgeous, very nicely detailed, good casting. Strangely this runs contrary to what I had expected ('unknown'' resin maker v Wolfpack, who's parts I have bought and rated before)

One other thing that wasn't apparent to me when I bought it was the fact that they have included a vac formed front screen as well as the mold and some flat sheet to vac form your own, which is good as I understood you were expected to make one yourself, but I am still pinning my hopes on getting a whole vacform canopy as soon as they are made.

Ian

Ian my thoughts exactly the windmark nose is a stunner i plan to make as much use of the windmark goodies as possible

i dont know how they stand accuracy wise compared to the wolfpack versions included , or perhaps i should say

i dont know why the wolfpack ones are there ,other than to correct ? i honestly dont know ,but the ,windmark sections look the biz to me .

.with lots of finesse, it'd be fairly stright forward to fit an aires pit with a bit of milling out i'll take that route i think .

i'm still not sure about the nose gear bay either ? i really wasnt aware there were variations in early late (as he produces them in different sets)

i'm sure someone far more knowledgable than me would know .

what do you think of the nose cone on the windmark section i have no plans as such so i'm trying to get a feel for if it'll need changing as per tonkas original question

jim.

Unc² yuou get a metal pitot in this set too jim.

My understanding (from reading posts on other sites) is the main driver for Wolfpack including their own nose is so they could mold it hollow enough to fit their/any other aftermarket pit, rather than inaccuracies, if so thats 'good' as it makes the windmark one viable..

It was only reading this threat that I identified that people think the Wolfpack pit is too shallow anyway. I didn't pay much attention to the kit one versus the Aires one I fitted into my Su-27 as the kit one was so rank it wasn't worth examining. So I presume the aires one is deeper than the WP one?

I have only really looked at it in the car before I headed into work this morning, there appear to be a couple more details on the Wolfpack nose, but compared to the loss of detail elsewhere its not enough to tip the balance I haven't been able to examine the nose in detail, tonight, I will pull my built flanker (with neomega nose) out of the loft and some 1/48 plans I printed out when I was building it and see how they all look compared to that.

I haven't really looked at the nose wheel bay much, I presume it will at least add some detail over the kit part. I bought the wolfpack set as I figured it cost me about £20 more but gave me resin wheels, pods, hopefully a half decent cockpit and the wheel wells as well as the other option for the front fuselage, so i'm not going to be too unhappy if I end up building it mostly using the windmark parts, I can at least use the pods!

have you started your build yet? I am going to run this one parallel to some other builds for a few months, so progress will be slow!

Ian

Not too scientifically. The windmark front fuselage including the nose, scales out on plans the same as the kit part. The academy kit seems fairly accurate towards the front as the length issue appears to start aft of the pit. The windmark nose however, does seem less bulbous than the kit part, which wolfpack suggest you use. It seems to compare well with the miniarm nose (by sight) on my built flanker. So it would appear that if you use the wolfpack front you will need an aftermarket nose to correct the look, if you are prepared to dremel out the windmark one (if you want to fit an aftermarket pit) you will have a slighty better profile as standard, with a better detailed part than the wolfpack alternative.

Ian

superb thanks for your observations Ian , i had figured as much about the windmark nose but i didnt want to jump the gun

with very little references . i like the shape of the irst fairing better too .

personally i like the windmark nose details and i'll deffinitley be going that route ,

i have the wolfpack set too from luckymodel (as you did) the extras far outwiegh the cost and with discounts etc...good times ! like you say the sorbtsiya pods alone will make a welcome addition to the spares box , the nose gear bay is very nice indeed and i wasnt calling the quality at all , but, and i digress a little, i also have a few sets of other of thier previously released flanker stuff i have the late (so called) wheel bays and early ones too , i seem to remember a little conjecture about these over on another forum and in the squadron signal walk around book it does indeed show a late wheel bay but for the longest time i figured that it was simply the standard flanker nose gear bay with the hinged internal protective cover removed however this doesnt now seem likely ,and if its correct which i undoutedly think it now is (if anyone can please confirm this ) then kudos to gustav .

my only gripe about this lot was the packaging in mine all the little discs for the wing fold mechs were broken off ,but LM sent me a new set .

all in all should make a for a superb build ,i havnt yet started mine Ian i have too much on the bench presently ,

though it keeps looking at me :hypnotised:

i'm just trying to decide wether i should go for it all folded up including converting the stinger as folded too

or all spread on the auto chocks ready to jump decisions decisions ...

jim.

my parts seem to have arrived unscathed thankfully. I have also had the A2Z FAW.1 conversion arrive this week, another lovely packaged set of resin, so not sure which to do first!

I will most likely build it wings up if I can determine a way of ensuring the strength of the join. Looking at the parts, there appears to be a small power cable that you attach between the two wing halves, I may look to replace that with disguised Brass rod to provide some comfort on strength

superb thanks for your observations Ian , i had figured as much about the windmark nose but i didnt want to jump the gun

with very little references . i like the shape of the irst fairing better too .

personally i like the windmark nose details and i'll deffinitley be going that route ,

i have the wolfpack set too from luckymodel (as you did) the extras far outwiegh the cost and with discounts etc...good times ! like you say the sorbtsiya pods alone will make a welcome addition to the spares box , the nose gear bay is very nice indeed and i wasnt calling the quality at all , but, and i digress a little, i also have a few sets of other of thier previously released flanker stuff i have the late (so called) wheel bays and early ones too , i seem to remember a little conjecture about these over on another forum and in the squadron signal walk around book it does indeed show a late wheel bay but for the longest time i figured that it was simply the standard flanker nose gear bay with the hinged internal protective cover removed however this doesnt now seem likely ,and if its correct which i undoutedly think it now is (if anyone can please confirm this ) then kudos to gustav .

my only gripe about this lot was the packaging in mine all the little discs for the wing fold mechs were broken off ,but LM sent me a new set .

all in all should make a for a superb build ,i havnt yet started mine Ian i have too much on the bench presently ,

though it keeps looking at me :hypnotised:

i'm just trying to decide wether i should go for it all folded up including converting the stinger as folded too

or all spread on the auto chocks ready to jump decisions decisions ...

jim.

sounds like a great plan i saw those cable things would have been great to have had them as cast metal like the U/C

good luck with the build Ian ,

jim.

• 3 weeks later...
sounds like a great plan i saw those cable things would have been great to have had them as cast metal like the U/C

good luck with the build Ian ,

jim.

Dunno if this is any use to you.........

wingfold_03.jpg

If you haven't already seen them, the rest of my Su-33 walkround pics are here.

have fun

Ken

You can find both Wind Mark and Wolfpack desgn conversion set reviews here:

http://www.thepmw.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3133

http://www.thepmw.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3223

I personally would recommend you guys to take Wind Mark Su-33 set only, and buy the Wolfpack design late type wheel bay and Sorbtsya ECM pods seprately if you need.

The resin wheels included in Wolfpack design set are just modified from the original Academy parts and did not correct the wrong diameter and tough looking "Russian" on the rubber wheels.

I would suggest you to take Equipage Su-33 tires which is very accurate and detailed, but a pity that maybe a little expensive.

http://aftermarket.com.ua/index.php?productID=5760

You can find the new fuselage provided by Wolfpack design(in order to fit in their resin cockpit) is really very tough mastered, the fat panel lines, soft details, etc.

So my choice for the cockpit would be Aires Su-27 resin ones, if you have enough skills or patience to fit it into Wind Mark fuselage,

or just Eduard's prepainted PE parts which should fit much easier than appyling resin stuff.

BTW, the Wind Mark nosecone is corrected indeed.

HTH,

Yufei

• 9 years later...

I know this thread is very old one and nowadays there are high end Su-33 kits available in the market but today I have seen in ebay by chance a Flanker set including Academy Su-27 Flanker B,  Begemot decals and Wolfpack Su-33 conversion parts WP48123. The price was incredibly cheap (only 66.00 € including shipping) and of coarse I didn't miss this chance. My intention is to build T-10M series using Academy and it's cheap copy of MHM kits using resin canards and shoulders. I am sure that this conversion will be easier than butchering beautiful Kinetic Su-33 kit to get canards and shoulders...

Serkan