Aerial wires

dallachytom

I have never had the guts to fit aerial wires to any of my WW2 aircraft, as i'm scared i'll knacker the rest of the plane just for the sake of a wire. However, i am working on a Tamiya Focke Wulf F-8 and i would like to add the wire/antenna to it.

Any tips for what to use and how to do it??

Thanks in advance

:unsure:

Invisible thread, from the sewing department (mind you looks just like mono filament fishing line to me) works well too. And you can remove sag and tighten it up by putting a lit cigarette near it, or if you don't smoke, some lit incense, or a heated screwdriver, butter knife...I think you get the point.

Bit like stretching sprue takes a bit of practice to not melt it but once you've got it figured, easy peasy.

Cheers to everybody that has answered, but, as i go fishing the fishing line & tighten with a heated screwdriver, sound like the way to go.

:drink:

Use Maxima line... Its the dogs goolies. Heat a scalpel blade instead of a screwdriver. Will give you more control and less heat.

Bob

G'day Sidders , invisible thread would be the go for 1/72, as Leigh has mentioned it can be pulled tight and it is very fine. Get your war department to grab you some from a dressmakers or craft store. Cheap as chips and you get about 50m of the stuff on a large cotton reel. It can be a bit opaque, but to cure this simply run a bit o black paint down it with a fine brush, or alternatively use an Artline permanent black marker the same way. As it is nylon based a small drop of super glue will anchor it well. I have also used a razor blade to make a small slot in the top of an arial mast and have seated it in the slot.HTH Cheers. Jim :D

Hi gents,

I don't build planes at all (yet :) ) but at our Warsaw club meet last week, one of the members bought along the tiiiniest little bi-plane that had wiring on the wings. I was blown by how he had managed to get the lines so clean and taught in such tight places and couldn't help asking how he had done it.

He immediately gave me a demo, then and there, on the bar top LOL

He pulled out of his pocket a pair of knackered black tights, a blade be had removed from a disposable razor, a tube of CA and a pin.

His technique was to pull a thread from the tights, lightly coat one tip of it in CA to make it a little stiffer. Affix that end in place with a dot of CA. Next he placed a dot of glue where he would attach the other end and, using the blunt side of blade, he drew the thread along and onto the dot of glue. When he released it, the stretch in the thread pulled it taught. He then used the other side of the blade to trim.

It took him about 2 secs for each line!! :o

Maybe you guys know this one but I thought I'd share it just in case.