RAF Aicraft trailer.

ferny

Hi all

SeddonConbyaix.jpg

Do any of you have any pics or know where i can find any better pics of this trailer, going to try and scratch build one.

TIA

Ferny

Edited by ferny

• 2 months later...

Hi

This is a Queen Mary trailer as per WWII. There are quite a few around in air museums. Here are a few pictures of the one at Edan camp in Yorkshire. If you want to model one the best reference is probably the Airfix kit in the 'Recovery set' with the crane.

UK226.jpg

UK225.jpg

UK223.jpg

UK224.jpg

Hope these help

Colin

Cheers Gents

I forgotten all about this thread!

I take it they haven't changed much over years then?

I just came across a few pics at my mums of me on a Queen Mary trailer converted to a RAF recruiting float in 1980 which was part of the Stirling fete. I will try to get them to scan them some time.

It had a platform built on top for us Air Cadets to stand on with a curved roof that extended down to the rear. They had a mock up of the Tornado nose and cockpit as far as the engine in-takes at the front end of the trailer. This joined on to an advertising board that supported the roof down the mid line of the roof. This showed the different trades working on the Tornado. We wore the RAF coveralls and were waving to the folks watching the parade.

It was a Sneddon Atkinson of this type that pulled it but the combination was painted red white and sky blue with RAF and roundels.

I wonder if any one else has pics of this one too from the 80's.

This is the Queen Mary trailer which I think will be long out of service now.

QM2.jpg

I suppose the major change from the WW2 version would be the King pin and braking system.

Hope you get success with the pic hunts as would like to see more of this combination.

Nige

I just came across a few pics at my mums of me on a Queen Mary trailer converted to a RAF recruiting float in 1980 which was part of the Stirling fete. I will try to get them to scan them some time.

It had a platform built on top for us Air Cadets to stand on with a curved roof that extended down to the rear. They had a mock up of the Tornado nose and cockpit as far as the engine in-takes at the front end of the trailer. This joined on to an advertising board that supported the roof down the mid line of the roof. This showed the different trades working on the Tornado. We wore the RAF coveralls and were waving to the folks watching the parade.

It was a Sneddon Atkinson of this type that pulled it but the combination was painted red white and sky blue with RAF and roundels.

I wonder if any one else has pics of this one too from the 80's.

This is the Queen Mary trailer which I think will be long out of service now.

QM2.jpg

I suppose the major change from the WW2 version would be the King pin and braking system.

Hope you get success with the pic hunts as would like to see more of this combination.

Nige

Thanks Nige

The basic design looks to be the same, just looks a bit more modern

Jon.

As I recall there were two variants of these trailers, a five ton version and a three ton version. The Airfix kit was a conbination of both , according to some reviews at the time of issue. The three ton trailer could be distingused by the courved plates on the sides of the "swan neck", different tyre equipment also appeared on the heavier version.

Just a thought

But it might pay to send an e-mail or snail mail to

Taskers trailers in Andover

They may have "blueprints" in there archives

Hope this helps

Never thought of that! Might give it a try you never know.

Long wheel base and short wheelbase regularly on Evil Bay though price for them varies from time to time

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EMHAR-MODELS-1-2...=item19c056d10d

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emhar-1-24-EM240...=item2eb53a3f94

First one is only cause it is from USA but normally available in UK just not showing

Front of cab and other bits would need converting along with Taskers fifth wheel attachment to be scratch

Would look nice and is one of my wish list to try

Nige

• 4 weeks later...