Project Extraversion Lockheed YP-80A

Pete57

9 hours ago, JWM said:

Looks that I have to repaint mine YP 80... :(

Repaint? Do you think they have had enough time to repaint the whole bird in 1945 with Ar234s flying overhead ?

Just add the fin white+red stripes from the HobbyBoss F-84E (or even from the Mistercraft kit you can buy at 4 Euro at your LHS), the black diagonal fuselage stripe and replace your black 29 with similarly sized black B.

Keep smiling anyway :)

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

On 5/31/2011 at 3:11 PM, Giorgio N said:

Very interesting information there, thanks for posting !

I've always been attracted by the P-80s based in Italy at the end of the war, now I know how they looked like !

Giorgio,

Here is a good article with photos!

Mike

https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/project-extraversion-p-80-shooting-stars-in-world-war-ii/

• Like 1

So that photograph of the YP-80A with the stripes was taken after it returned from Italy. I've seen a photograph of the two YP-80As flying by Mt. Vesuvius which has them plain, with no stripes. Perhaps it is a touched-up photograph, but it (the Vesuvius photograph) does appears to be genuine. I'm not all convinced the YP-80As in Italy were painted with the stripes on the tail and fuselage, or perhaps they were repainted after they arrived in Italy, and at first were plain.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Learstang said:

or perhaps they were repainted after they arrived in Italy, and at first were plain.

this is the case.  There are photos in Italy with the stripes,  they were on page 1 but have gone.  Bear in mind Mosquitos in Italy had red/white tail stripes

3987455686_9552a2c634_o.jpgMosquito PR XVI by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Mosquito PR XVI

P R Mosquito's of 680 Sqn. at San Savero in 1944. The red and white fin stripes served as a identity marking for Yank pilots who often mistook them for German M E 410's.

On 31/05/2011 at 10:18, Pete57 said:

The following set, by Jim Bertoglio, shows the two aircraft in their ‘operational livery’

yp80a4483028acopyrighteka4.jpg

yp80atailchevronscopyrinq9.jpg

yp80atailviewcopyrightemu8.jpg

taken by James Bertoglio,  

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/94th-fighter-squadron-collection-bertoglio-1944-1993-1944-1945

these

PsKjK_jg_QvJKX09SLpSKtWon4gu_Lu3Z_s3k3Fj

24114-wm-yp-80a-italyzip-9-yp80atailchev

24114-wm-yp-80a-italyzip-10-yp80atailvie

I think there was another.  I did once look up the paintings mentioned as well, showing the red and blue stripes, and blue letters. 

HTH

• Like 1

On 30/03/2012 at 08:25, Pete57 said:

I need to briefly resurrect this thread as some water-color paintings, by John W.Burgess, of the San Diego Air & Space Museum archives on Flickr, have provide some details on the colors the two MTO YP-80A's.

The tail chevrons were red and white and the nose letters were blue (not black) on both aircarft.

But whereas on aircraft 44-84028 'A', the nose-tip, fuselage slanted stripe and wing stripes (which were painted also on the wings' lower surfaces) were red, on aircraft 44-84029 'B' these details were blue.

The boarding-ladder, typical of the early YP-80A's P-80A-1's was probably painted red as well.

As to the shades of the red and blue, well the blue doesn't seem too far off the shade of the star 'n' bar in the b/w photos, so I'm guessing it was insignia blue, while the red...why not?...insignia red, and the same color may have been used for the boarding ladder as it doesn't seem too far off the color of the stripes and red chevrons on a/c 028 - my 2-cents only, though ;)!

Happy modeling!

archive here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/albums/72157629430006987

they whole archive is worth a look,  as he knew what he was looking at, A with red stripe, note wing of B to the left

6917765663_3d302f6476_o.jpgBurgess_012 by SDASM Archives, on Flickr

6917765317_5dfe822e0d_o.jpgBurgess_008 by SDASM Archives, on Flickr

this has the red and blue stripes

6917767643_9693f195d6_o.jpgBurgess_028 by SDASM Archives, on Flickr

B with blue stripe

6917764739_5e9611be88_o.jpgBurgess_005 by SDASM Archives, on Flickr

There are more in the link.  These were the most relevant to the discussion.

HTH

T

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Learstang said:

So that photograph of the YP-80A with the stripes was taken after it returned from Italy. I've seen a photograph of the two YP-80As flying by Mt. Vesuvius which has them plain, with no stripes. Perhaps it is a touched-up photograph, but it (the Vesuvius photograph) does appears to be genuine. I'm not all convinced the YP-80As in Italy were painted with the stripes on the tail and fuselage, or perhaps they were repainted after they arrived in Italy, and at first were plain.

Of course the photo of one that has landed in corn field is taken after comeback from Italy and the photo with Vesuvius in the background is genuine.

The Bertoglio photos could be taken either in Italy or in the USA. But now (thanks to the Krasno album) we have a proof that red stripes have been there already in Italy.

Cheers

Michael

3 minutes ago, KRK4m said:

The Bertoglio photos could be taken either in Italy or in the USA.

I did post this link above

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/94th-fighter-squadron-collection-bertoglio-1944-1993-1944-1945

which gives background on the Bertoglio photos, and in short, they are from Italy.

• Like 1

Allright, Troy - I didn't follow the link earlier. Now it's clear that Sergeant Bertoglio and Corporal Krasno were fellows from the same unit :)

Anyway - the red stripes on YP-80A tails have been introduced while in Italy.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My interest in this is that I wish to paint mine as it would have appeared at some time in Italy, but without the stripes (if accurate), which I find rather garish. I find the YP-80A much more attractive in the plain glossy pearl grey finish. It appears that at first the aircraft in Italy were plain, so that's the way I'll paint mine. Thank you gentlemen for the interesting links, photographs, and research!

Best Regards,

Jason

I converted an Airfix F-80C back to something closer to the YP-80A and the gray finish perhaps 40 years ago. Now I know how I’ll do the Sword P-80A kit. This has been an interesting, especially bringing the photos of subsequent painting to our collective attention