Hughes OH-6D AHIP Prototype.

Here is a conversion based on the OH-6A. It is a model of the OH-6D which competed for the AHIP competition in 1981. The Bell OH-58D Kiowa won that competition. The OH-6D flew for about 8 months in 1981 until the end of the competition in September and the airframe was then converted and used for further test work. All the parts used to convert the model were scratchbuilt from plastic and wire, except for the photo-etched wire cutters. Brush painted using Humbrol paints. It is my first model completed in about 14 years, so please go easy!

P1010130.jpg

oh-6Dart.jpg

P1010131.jpg

P1010132.jpg

P1010133-1.jpg

P1010134.jpg

P1010135-1.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

P1010136.jpg

Thanks for looking.

BM.

Edited by Blue Monday
  • Like 1

Not often you see a Little Bird. Excellent build.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the generous comments in relation to this model. I was messing around with my camera and have a few more low-quality photos of the OH-6D "Cayuse Warrior" (I made that bit up.) I had a Verlinden base plate and I had it mounted in a picture frame. I decided to do a little "What if" diorama.

The fictional scene depicts the OH-6D parked on the ramp outside the prototype hangar at the Hughes Plant at Culver City in August 1981. All the proposed weapons options are laid out in front of the helicopter and it is cordoned off. The helicopter is set up for an inspection by a visiting delegation from the U.S. Army before the decision is made to select the winning A.H.I.P. design. Two executives from Hughes Helicopters are seen approaching the OH-6D to inspect everything before the Army Selection Committee arrive.

P1010155.jpg

P1010160.jpg

P1010161.jpg

P1010162.jpg

P1010163.jpg

The area in front of the model looks like it's big enough to accommodate another H-6 so I'd better get busy on filling the space. Thanks for looking.

BM.

Edited by Blue Monday

Dave, thanks.

That looks fantastic. Be sure to put it in the IPMS show in Swords on 2nd October!

Hi Joe. I'll be bringing it to the Nationals alright, hopefully with another H-6 prototype sitting in front of it. Sorry for not being in contact lately. I will be in touch soon in relation to those projects we had cooking a while back. Thanks.

BM.

Edited by Blue Monday