Requests for information.

spike7451

yeah I did look at both, but I'll look again

so seats - I did find pics on google of shedloads of seats under 'Martin Baker'

so I'll go look again and use one of those as a basis for a bit of extra detail

btw - my name is kev1n...or KevAn if you prefer....not Kevin; tho' I do answer to all three....

(along with a few other names I have been called....)

Edited by kev1n

btw - my name is kev1n...or KevAn if you prefer....not Kevin; tho' I do answer to all three....

(along with a few other names I have been called....)

Sorry, Kevan. I just thought that Kevin was your name.

As for the seats, I think the main difference between early ones a newer is the headbox, so you should be able to use the photo's in the ref. section.

Steve (Stephen on a Sunday)

Edited by jacksdad64

Sorry, Kevan. I just thought that Kevin was your name.

As for the seats, I think the main difference between early ones a newer is the headbox, so you should be able to use the photo's in the ref. section.

Steve (Stephen on a Sunday)

The seats were virtually identical to the seats used on the production GR1/IDS ect with only a couple of minor differences.

Morning guys,

OK, a simple colour question.

I've read that the u/c legs are a very light grey, is that correct? Also what colour is are the u/c bays as well as the interior of the airbrakes and airbrake bays. they look white, but I'm guessing that that they would be the same as the u/c legs?

Morning guys,

OK, a simple colour question.

I've read that the u/c legs are a very light grey, is that correct? Also what colour is are the u/c bays as well as the interior of the airbrakes and airbrake bays. they look white, but I'm guessing that that they would be the same as the u/c legs?

Undercarraige & bays are light gray,I use a lightened Barley Gray, & speedbrakes & the insides are gloss white with the odd hydraulic fluid stains...

Hi guys

I am doing some bitty stuff tonight, mainly undercoat on the brilliant metal undercarriage and painting the weapon/pods. Bizarrely Revell haven't given a colour call-our for the AIM-9 missiles on my ECR...anyone got an idea? Off-white seems to be the best bet but I though I would ask the world's best encyclopedia first! :worthy:

Also managed to get the Dark Compass Grey on to the body of the jet. I will try and post some pics later.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Morning everyone,

Anyone got miracle cures for rescuing decals?

After decaling my Tornado and protecting them with a coat of Future, I applied an oil wash - so far, no problem and everything dried ok. But when I then used a thin strip of Blue 3M masking tape to hold the canopy in place while it was gluing, you can guess the rest - no more decals. :wall:

So right now, the beautiful nose art is on the sticky side of the tape in one piece; is there anyway of removing it? Could I soak it or is it now toast? :shithappens:

Any advice would be hugely welcomed.. :please:

Thanks in advance,

Dermot

I feel for Dermot!

One thing you could try is to re attach the decal and tape combo them wet it with plenty of water, hopefully the water will soften the decal back into place and loosen the glue at the sane time. I've never tried this but got to be worth a shot! You may want to use a little decal softener too but I wouldn't usevtoo much otherwise the decal may just wrinkle up to nothing!

Out of interest did you cover the decals with a coat of varnish to seal before the oil wash?

Phil

Another wee tip for removing stubborn tape is to give it a blast with a hair dryer. All you want to do is soften the adhesive on the tape, then just carefully peel it off.

I used this method a couple of times and it has worked.

Steve

Here's one for you Merv.

I was flicking through a couple of Tornado ref. books, in the bath last night, as you do. One thing I noticed was that RAF Tornado's main u/c door's were fully out. Whereas, on the German & Italian Tornado's the door seems to hang down. Can you explain that?

Steve

Edited by jacksdad64

Here's one for you Merv.

I was flicking through a couple of Tornado ref. books, in the bath last night, as you do. One thing I noticed was that RAF Tornado's main u/c door's were fully out. Whereas, on the German & Italian Tornado's the door seems to hang down. Can you explain that?

Steve

One possible reason is that the Italian & German aircraft aircraft have been stood on the ground for some time and the hydraulic pressure has fallen slightly, causing the doors to droop.

Once the hydraulics have been fully pressurised the doors move back to their fully open position.

You can see the doors have drooped on this 31Sqn GR.4

GR431sqnRAFLaarbruch.jpg

XVTonker :pilot:

Edited by xvtonker

I was flicking through a couple of Tornado ref. books, in the bath last night, as you do.

Classic!

Thanks for all your suggestions on the unholy marriage of decals and masking tape - will update later this evening!

Cheers,

Dermot

Decal update - day 2

Have tried a few attempts last night but the decal refuses to budge - still welded to the tape. I read somewhere about nail polish remover for removing decals? I'm guessing it will attack the decal like crazy but it's all I can think of now...any thoughts? :newb:

Many thanks,

Dermot

Yep,it's only a LDURU on the outer pylons

DOH!

Of course it is with the HDERU's on the inner, shoulder & centreline.

Thanks foir reminding me.

Sorry, for non-Tonkerites, LDERU (Light Duty Ejector Release Unit), HDERU (Heavy Duty Ejector Release Unit)

DOH!

Of course it is with the HDERU's on the inner, shoulder & centreline.

Thanks foir reminding me.

Sorry, for non-Tonkerites, LDERU (Light Duty Ejector Release Unit), HDERU (Heavy Duty Ejector Release Unit)

And SWERU on the centerline on the shoulder pylons on the GR1,Use for carrying 'ah-hem' boom thingys....

(SWERU-Special Weapon ERU)

• 2 months later...