Requests for information.

spike7451

Could anyone with the Hobbyboss kit measure the length and width of the front and main u/c bays, and the diameter of the burner cans? I want to see if the Aires resin will fit onto the Airfix kit without being too large or small.

Thanks!

Airfix ones are:

Main (L x W x H): 52mm x 13mm x 10mm

Front: 31mm x 10mm x 9mm

Exhausts: 17mm diameter, 15mm diameter where is fits into the fuselage.

Edited by T0M4ever

• 2 weeks later...

Morning Chaps,

I'm going to be opening the APU exhaust on the side and I can't seem to find a decent picture of what is inside. The best I have found is this on an Italian Tornado.

TornadoAPU.jpg

So, the question I have is, does anyone have a good picture of the inside of the port, or can someone tell me what's there. I assume it's the exhaust pipe, but is it square, round, at an angle?

Any help would be great.

Steve

Morning Chaps,

I\'m going to be opening the APU exhaust on the side and I can\'t seem to find a decent picture of what is inside. The best I have found is this on an Italian Tornado.

TornadoAPU.jpg

So, the question I have is, does anyone have a good picture of the inside of the port, or can someone tell me what\'s there. I assume it\'s the exhaust pipe, but is it square, round, at an angle?

Any help would be great.

Steve

It\'s just a bare metal \'box\' shaped exhaust that slopes down & back,depth about 6in at the bottom to around a foot at the top iirc.

Edit-found these photo\'s HERE

Tornado_GR4_ZA543_6758.jpg

Tornado_GR4_ZA543_6758.jpg

Edited by spike7451

Does anyone know if the areas on the wing that go inside when wings are swung, would have been painted black on the all black F3 or left the grey colour they normally are? I assume they wouldn't have been painted.

Also are they grey or a metallic colour? I notice in some photos in the ref thread they appear metallic, is the due to wear?

Thanks in advance

Phil

Does anyone know if the areas on the wing that go inside when wings are swung, would have been painted black on the all black F3 or left the grey colour they normally are? I assume they wouldn't have been painted.

Also are they grey or a metallic colour? I notice in some photos in the ref thread they appear metallic, is the due to wear?

Thanks in advance

Phil

You mean the sweep marks?..They would've been left dark gray as,iirc,it's a special coating that's applied to that area.

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all!

Ok, I've finally started my GR.4 which will be a 617sqn aircraft, probably AJ-G. My question is how where the Storm Shadows attached? Is there a suitable pylon that is available for them? The ones I need are the fuselage ones. Cheers and sorry for my ignorance, but ask my a question about Airbusses anytime!

Evening all!

Ok, I've finally started my GR.4 which will be a 617sqn aircraft, probably AJ-G. My question is how where the Storm Shadows attached? Is there a suitable pylon that is available for them? The ones I need are the fuselage ones. Cheers and sorry for my ignorance, but ask my a question about Airbusses anytime!

They are attatched to the standard shoulder pylon HDERU (Heavy Duty Explosive Release Unit) on the middle of the three weapon stations on the pylons.That station was used for special weapons on the GR1.

OK, sorry but anothervquestion. Well, two actually.

What colour are RAF Storm Shadows. I have read Dark Camo Grey, but the colour seems much darkervwhen compared to the replacement panels on ZA601 which were, according to the Xtradecal sheet, Dark Camo Grey along with the standard tanks.

Q.2 is simply does anyone know where I can source decals for the Skyshadow and BOZ107 pods? I have the Paragon resin parts, but cannot find any decals amongst the kits in the stash. Any ideas?

Looking for some help here. as you know I am currently doing a WHIF Tornado carrying three AN/ALQ99 pods. Now I am contemplating putting on some form of self defence weapon. Now, because of where the pods will be hung (two outer pylons and one on the centre pylon under the fuselage) I am restricted on where I can put anything. My own thought is to use the rails on the inner fuel tank pylons as the shoulder pylons, as underneath the fuselage, would be impractical due to the pod on the centre rail, but I am happy to be wrong on this.

As to the weapon, I think I may only get away with Sidewinders, as I think Sparrows/HARM's would be to heavy to mount on the rails.

Can anyone help with any information and/or suggestions.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

After the initial tests were carried out at Boscombe Down, the GR.1E was indeed found to be lacking in self defence armament and the inner fuel tank rails were adapted with shoulder launch rails for AIM-9M Sidewinders. The aircraft also had the lower fuselage shoulder pylons adapted with specially designed ejectors that 'launched the HARM's out at a 30 degree angle away from the centre station before ignition of the missiles rocket engine.

This was a short lived conversion however as one aircraft was lost after the Nav inadvertently fired the HARM during final approach which resulted in the loss of the left main landing gear...

(Do you really expect a serious answer from someone who puts the flaps in upside down??!!)

Edited by Busdriver

Hi Steve,

After the initial tests were carried out at Boscombe Down, the GR.1E was indeed found to be lacking in self defence armament and the inner fuel tank rails were adapted with shoulder launch rails for AIM-9M Sidewinders. The aircraft also had the lower fuselage shoulder pylons adapted with specially designed ejectors that 'launched the HARM's out at a 30 degree angle away from the centre station before ignition of the missiles rocket engine.

This was a short lived conversion however as one aircraft was lost after the Nav inadvertently fired the HARM during final approach which resulted in the loss of the left main landing gear...

(Do you really expect a serious answer from someone who puts the flaps in upside down??!!)

Thanks for the suggestion. To be honest I had noticed about your flaps, until Ian pointed it out. Aren't you a pilot? :whistle:

Steve

I've seen pics of GR4's with Sidewinders on the shoulder pylon on the inner wing pylons. Would this be correct for a 617 Sqn aircraft with Storm Shadows?

I've seen pics of GR4's with Sidewinders on the shoulder pylon on the inner wing pylons. Would this be correct for a 617 Sqn aircraft with Storm Shadows?

Only on the inside stub pylon of the inner pylon,the outer side is for ALARM's.

info and pics needed of the seats used in ther RAF prototype - I'm doing the 3rd aircraft, which was the first one with dual controls,

using an ancient italieri kit, which looks ok, but could do with a bit of added detail to the seats and cockpit, seats especially.