Avro Lancaster

gfurm

Not much progress due to weather, it'd be shame to sit by the bench when it's so nice outside.

I did manage to weathed underside and add exhaust stains. Underside was done in two steps, salted and sprayed light coat of Anthracite and then light coat of black with a drop of white to lighten it a bit. Don't have good photo because batteries in my camera died.

All comments welcomed.

Greg

You can see a bit of weathering on this photo of nose art.

_IGP8078.jpg

I know the outside engines should have only one exhaust stain on top of the wings but my finger slipped on airbrush trigger so I had to do them this way. I tried to darken them with Tamiya smoke and it helped a little.

_IGP8076.jpg

Very effective weathering! Do I understand you correctly when I say that you...

i) apply salt

ii) sprayed lighter paint over the Dark Grreen and darker paint over the Dark Earth

iii) removed salt

iv) re-apply salt.

v) sprayed 'smoke' over the whole thing

vi) repeat process for undersides.

?

I'd like to try that myself I think.

Will

Will: it was done exactly this way. You just have to be careful not to ovedo it, you can't actually see the effect until you remove salt so you can easily mess it up. Just use light coats of very thinned paint. It's better to do it twice than to mess the whole thing in one go. Just spray yoou model with water, salt it and dry it with hairdryer on medium setting and go away with painting.

I went for darker color over earth because it wasn't dark earth so it needed darkening.

Greg

Edited by gfurm

Will: it was done exactly this way. You just have to be careful not to ovedo it, you can't actually see the effect until you remove salt so you can easily mess it up. Just use light coats of very thinned paint. It's better to do it twice than to mess the whole thing in one go. Just spray yoou model with water, salt it and dry it with hairdryer on medium setting and go away with painting.

I went for darker color over earth because it wasn't dark earth so it needed darkening.

Greg

Thanks for the pointers. Def. be trying that one soon!

Will

If you mean masking canopies I bouoght Eduard easy masks for this one. Tape is already precut and you just have to place bits in correct areas. On simpler canopies I mask them myself. Put Tamiya tape on the canopy, trace frame edges with toothpick and then very carefully cut around frame with new hobby knife blade. I And I hold the blade in my hand, you have more control this way.

Louise: thanks for reminding me about CA glue fogging canopies :) I'd have try supergluing those barrels without Future on the glazing.

Greg

To avoid scratching the canopies.. I would do similarly, slap some masking tape over the window, trace the frames with a sharp pencil.. but then

take the tape off, place it on your cutting surface cut out the shape of the window and then put that onto the canopy. Saves wrecking canopies when your hand slips or you miss identify the frame. Ask me how I know :)

Hey this is looking a bit spesh isn't it? :) I tried salt weathering on my lanc I built a couple of months ago. This looks to be working out better than my attempt!

To avoid scratching the canopies.. I would do similarly, slap some masking tape over the window, trace the frames with a sharp pencil.. but then

take the tape off, place it on your cutting surface cut out the shape of the window and then put that onto the canopy. Saves wrecking canopies when your hand slips or you miss identify the frame. Ask me how I know :)

Thanks for that simple but very sensible addition to my technique! Never thought of doing it that way befire and the Lanc's frames are very faintly moulded.

Thanks guys.

I'm glad I didn't go for Eduard PE parts for this one, you can't see anything inside. It could use exterior set though, all those plastic antennas are too thick.

Greg

• 2 months later...

Great work on the Lanc so far G.I have a couple of silly staements/questions wellactually only one.The cylinder shaped thing with the bombs is in fact a bomb Right?A thousand pounder if memory serves?I have a very old issue of war machine that contain a lot of british ww2 ordnancein colour photos and these are actually among them.The colours is supposed to be yellow with a black and white stip nearer the detonator pistol end.I am in no way saying that your build is now wrong but thought it might help some of the other guys out in future.

Regards:

Shaun