Avro Lancaster

gfurm

I won't bother you with sprue shots as everyone seen them already.

I will build it in 300th squadron markings. Got Techmod decals for that. Also Eduard masks to make it a bit easier. I'm also thinking about some resin gun barrels, but it'll be a while before I get to them so that can wait.

So far started at the cockpit.

Greg

_IGP7886.jpg

_IGP7887.jpg

Edited by gfurm

Cockpit glued to fuselage. Bomb bay was a bit too long and needed 1mm to be shaved off one ond. So far no problems. It really is my first proper 1/72 kit (apart from old PZL which was a nightmare) and it's much simpler than my usual 1/48 stuff due to lower number of parts. We'll see how it goes later.

Greg

_IGP7900.jpg

_IGP7899.jpg

No update for a while because for some reason I have to go to work now and then :). Anyway, Fuselage closed and sanded and most windows masked (you gotta love those Eduard masks).

And now I need advice. I got myself resin gun barrels and I'm not sure how to approach this. I could replace them now, put them in turrets and hope I don't break them during rest of the build (yeah, right) or I could just cut off the kit barrels and add resin after everything is finished, but I'm not sure how hard it will be. What do you suggest?

Now for photos.

_IGP7914.jpg

_IGP7915.jpg

_IGP7916.jpg

All comments welcomed.

Greg

Well, if you just so happened to have coated the turrets in future, then gluing the resin barrels later isn't going to fog the clear parts, so I'd go that way; snap them plastic ones off just now leaving a nice flat unpainted surface for the resin to mount too later.. If, your like me, the chances of continually breaking off the barrels is 100% guaranteed. Remember that CA really doesn't like gluing to CA, and there's no way to clean off the old CA inside the turret.

.. watching with interest, as I've two of these to build this year.

Great looking work. Im quite new to masking cockpits for spraying. I usually hand pait with various results!

If you dont mind me asking how do you cut i imagine with fine craft blade the cockpit, without scratching the plastic?

I could be a stupid question but im frighted i ruin a canopy i plan to mask and cut.

Great work on your Lanc. :speak_cool:

Great looking work. Im quite new to masking cockpits for spraying. I usually hand pait with various results!

If you dont mind me asking how do you cut i imagine with fine craft blade the cockpit, without scratching the plastic?

I could be a stupid question but im frighted i ruin a canopy i plan to mask and cut.

Great work on your Lanc. :speak_cool:

If you mean masking canopies I bouoght Eduard easy masks for this one. Tape is already precut and you just have to place bits in correct areas. On simpler canopies I mask them myself. Put Tamiya tape on the canopy, trace frame edges with toothpick and then very carefully cut around frame with new hobby knife blade. I And I hold the blade in my hand, you have more control this way.

Louise: thanks for reminding me about CA glue fogging canopies :) I'd have try supergluing those barrels without Future on the glazing.

Greg

Since I'm waiting for the Future to dry on turrets glazing I started work on wings. Both are glued together and some work done on engine nacelles and gear bay. One is almost done.

Greg

_IGP7918.jpg

_IGP7920.jpg

On simpler canopies I mask them myself. Put Tamiya tape on the canopy, trace frame edges with toothpick and then very carefully cut around frame with new hobby knife blade. I And I hold the blade in my hand, you have more control this way.

Thanks for the tips on masking my canopy. Im going to use Tamiya tape, But i think for my first attempt i will start on an easier model first.

:)

Bit more progress. Canopies sprayed black (for interior frames) then fuselage primed. And surprise: no need for more sanding, all seams look OK. Preshaded as well but forgot to take photo. Upper fuselage then painted freehand. I know Earth color should be darker but anyway :). All my preshading gone, as usual:). When it's dry I'll do underside black. I plan to attach wings when everything is painted and finished, shouldn't be any problems with that.

Greg

_IGP7921.jpg

_IGP7926.jpg

ime for another update. Fuselage and one wing painted, waiting for clear coat and then decals and weathering. Bombs also done, will weather slightly tommorow. Other wing assembled but still need some sanding around engine nacelles, then primer and painting.

Now questions: any suggestions what to do with underside? It being black I think I can just salt it and spray anthracit to make it washed out. How about Light wash in panel lines? won't that be too obvious?

Topside will be salted and sprayed a bit of Tamiya smoke followed by darker earth and lighter green depending how it looks after smoke. But all that after decals.

All comments welcomed

Greg

_IGP7927.jpg

_IGP7928.jpg

That's not glued yet

_IGP7929.jpg

_IGP7930.jpg

Looks great! I've read a lot of folks add muddy red brown to black to weather the RAF night black. The results I've seen look very good. I'm going to follow your lead on the paint/weathering you've done/planning with the smoke and salt or is that salt 'n' pepper? Please.... a full description on technique!

Update time.

Fuselage and one wing complete Paint and decals on. I used Revell and Techmod decals for this one. Techmod are very thin and rip apart very easily, colors are a bit different than on Revell sheet and wing roundels are much too big. I still have issues with decals not going into panel lines. I do them all the same way but so far I have no troubles with Revell and Eduard decals, other just won't do it. No idea why.

When second wing and tail are done I'll join it all and start weathering.

Greg

Decal sheets, Revell on top.

_IGP7933.jpg

Nose art

_IGP8053.jpg

Fuselage

_IGP8054.jpg

Wing

_IGP8055.jpg

_IGP8056.jpg

Louise: as for salting I just follow this tutorial http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57027 . For topside I'll use Tamiya smoke and for underside probably Revell Anthracite.

Hello, I'm doing a Lanc too and have been thinking about the gum barrel problem. I'm going to try cutting off the barrels and drilling a hole to accept the replacement barrels at the end. I realise that I will end up with a 1/16 inch shorter gun but I think it's worth it to avoid the strength and alignment difficulties I'd expect with a butt joint. Lining up the tail turret guns would be very difficult for me and any deviation would be horribly obvious.

I like your modular construction technique, completely finishing the wings, even unto the decal stage, looks useful. I'll do that too. You are certainly getting on with the job! I'm still at the pondering stage, though I have to clear up another project first.

There's one thing I feel I have to ask you, though you may not thank me for it at this stage. Your photos appear to show that you used dk green and med sea grey camo; I'd thought that was a fighter scheme and that the heavy bombers stayed dk green and dk earth until the end of the war? I really hope that I'm wrong.

Your photos appear to show that you used dk green and med sea grey camo;

It looks fine here on my monitor!

I have two of these in the stash, one the dam buster version and this is making me want to edge them to the top of the pile good work!!

I don't have dark earth so I used earth color. It should get darker after weathering. As for drilling holes in barrel mounts great idea but I think it's too late for me as all turets are closed already. Will carefully try anyway.

As for progress: painted tail pieces and bottom of the wing, but just now realised I forgot to glue air intakes (??) on sides of engine nacelles :wall: . Nevermind, it's not the first time.

Anyway I need advice on antenna wire from tail to canopy: how should I glue this? I drilled holes in tail for 0.1mm fising line but how should I attach it to the canopy? Superglue is out of the question, glazing wasn't dipped in future (did I mention forgetting things? ).

Greg

Edited by gfurm

I don't have dark earth so I used earth color. It should get darker after weathering. As for drilling holes in barrel mounts great idea but I think it's too late for me as all turets are closed already. Will carefully try anyway.

As for progress: painted tail pieces and bottom of the wing, but just now realised I forgot to glue air intakes (??) on sides of engine nacelles :wall: . Nevermind, it's not the first time.

Anyway I need advice on antenna wire from tail to canopy: how should I glue this? I drilled holes in tail for 0.1mm fising line but how should I attach it to the canopy? Superglue is out of the question, glazing wasn't dipped in future (did I mention forgetting things? ).

Greg

Phew, that's a relief. I guess it's my monitor settings then.

Aerial cable? Is there a hole in the canopy already? If so I would tie a knot in the end of my fishing line, trimming away any excess, this is to provide a key for the relatively weak glue that you will have to use. The knot should be as big as possible while still allowing you to push it through the hole. Then apply an adhesive like pva, Glue n' Glaze, or balsa cement that won't craze the plastic. Then go to the pub and leave the glue to set For a long time (24 hours?) before tensioning it and attaching to the fin with CA.

If you haven't got a hole in the canopy, drilling one now might fill your cockpit with irremovable swarf, so I'd simply declare that the aerial cable is too fine to be visible in 1:72. After all, we generally look at our models from a couple of feet away and this scales out to 50 yards. Can you see a 1/4 inch (?) cable from that far away? I doubt if I can, but then I can't tell the difference between grey and brown. lol!

Everything put together, now the weathering shall begin. Since it looks like a plane now it needs some proper photos without all that mess on my desk :)

All comments welcomed.

Greg

_IGP8060.jpg

_IGP8059.jpg

_IGP8061.jpg

• Like 1

After weathering with salt. First earth and green darkened and lightened respectivly. Then rinsed salt and salted again followed with overall smoke. Need doing similan on underside and then exhaust stains.

All comments welcomed

Greg

_IGP8069.jpg

_IGP8072.jpg

Greg: your Lancaster is looking real nice....the weathering is very effective...!!

Cheers,

ggc