Hobby Boss Tornado ADV

Peter W

Here's my entry for this group build, the Hobby Boss Tornado ADV with a few extras.

I'm going to use the Aires Exhausts and possibly the Wheel Bays (Still undecided). I'd also like to find a better ejector seat to go with the kit cockpit. For markings, I'm contemplating using the Xtradecal markings for 'The Red Zebra'. I fancy doing it just not enthused about the amount of masking required for the stripes, we'll see.

First the box: -

IMG_7335.jpg

And then the bits: -

IMG_7336.jpg

Progress will be glacial as this is the 4th group build that I've been drawn into, but I'll get there.

Pete

• 2 months later...

Time to bring this one up from the bottom post, has it been that long?.

I've got a little bit done and time to show where I'm up to. This kit is not that great to be truthful and there's been a few times already when I've contemplated chucking it back in the pile. If the Eduard Fw190's are the best engineered kits on the market (my opinion) then this has to be the worst. The whole breakdown of the kit is not condusive to getting everything in line. The fit is just not that positive and the assembly steps are ridiculous. Why would anyone build this kit the suggested way is beyond me. However, I don't give in that easy, so on we go.

I picked up the Eduard photo-etch sets for this build and there I made a major faux-pas. Eduard do a set for the F.3 and a set for an ADV and, as I couldn't work out the difference, I bought the ADV version. Only later did I realise that the ADV is more like an F.3(T) cockpit and not the one I'm modelling. I did contemplate buying the F.3 version but, in the end, went with what I'd got and I'll just have to live with it. Anyway it's all fitted in now and doesn't look too bad.

On with the pictures: -

IMG_8756.jpg

IMG_8759.jpg

IMG_8760.jpg

IMG_8761.jpg

IMG_8762.jpg

IMG_8763.jpg

IMG_8768.jpg

IMG_8769.jpg

IMG_8771.jpg

Just got to work out next the best way to assemble the wings and fuselage.

More soon

Pete

Nice pit and nice work

One of the best fitting kits I have come across in my modelling history..........with all the many sub sections.........

Hope to see yours up soon

Rgds

Mr B

Very nice work Peter,that pit looks good.Just one suggestion,remove the black loops from the left side of the ejection seats.You won't find these on on the real thing outside of the Seat Bay.

What they are meant to represent is the connection hose for the crew survival kit,this is left attatched to the crews G-Pants as it needs to be tested before flight.In place of that loop on operational squadrons is a flat blanking plate.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Steve, progress is glacial but I'm getting there.

Spike, thanks for that. I'd looked at several pictures and figured out what it was but didn't know that it ended up hanging from a flight suit. I will cut them off before fixing in place.

I spent the day masking and spraying. This has to go down in the annals of history as the worst choice for a group build plane (deadlines!!!) ever, I've never used so much masking tape on a paint job ever. I did struggle with the tail stripes though, it didn't seem to matter how wide I masked the stripes or what angle I chose, I just couldn't get them to look accurately like the real thing. I'm happy with how it's turned out but wish I could have gotten it closer. All the other odd panels and things are done just need to spray the wheel bays and metal coloured bits tomorrow then do all the touch ups (there's lots). I'm hoping to get some gloss coats on by tomorrow night, fingers crossed.

Anyway, some pictures: -

Getting ready for the paint shop.

IMG_8773.jpg

IMG_8774.jpg

Greys done and masked up for spine and tail paint

IMG_8775.jpg

IMG_8776.jpg

A few odd shots of where I am now

IMG_8777.jpg

IMG_8778.jpg

IMG_8779.jpg

IMG_8780.jpg

Hopefully more to show tomorrow.

Pete

Thanks for the encouragement guys, it's keeping me plugging away into the moonlight hours on this one.

I've managed to get all of the decals on now after 2 nights of going to bed at 1:30am and getting up for work again at 5:30am, tired does not come close to describing my morning demeanour. Most of the time seemed to be spent getting all of the walkway decals on, were they ever a test of patience but do look good once on. However it's ready for a sealing gloss coat when I get home tonight and then a manic weekend charge to beat the deadline. Out of curiosity, why didn't it end on Monday as it's a Bank Holiday weekend? It really would have given me a chance to sleep some more :lol: I have to say that the Hobbyboss decals behaved superbly well and really settled down, well pleased. The Xtradecal ones were not so good, they are so far off register that it took a fair bit of trimming to get them looking somewhere passable. I even had to put some decal film on them just so that the decal didn't come off the sheet with an edge missing. Poor show Mr Hannant :angry:

Here she is though in all her splendour: -

IMG_8781.jpg

IMG_8782.jpg

IMG_8784.jpg

IMG_8785.jpg

IMG_8786.jpg

IMG_8788.jpg

I'm beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel now, more soon.

Pete

• Like 1

Sweet baby jesus........ i was'nt expecting that as i scrolled down. That looks absolutely awesome. What a cool scheme, i can not wait to see this one finished, well done sir. :o

not looked at this GB (should;ve done as I like the Tornado - sat in a couple at RAF Bruggen in the late '80s when I was there with the cadets) but that is one eyecatching finish.... I would'nt have the patience (let alone the skill) to attempt something like this....

Steve, It was only when a guy in my office (stoohoo on BM) said that the date had changed that I found out. I've been head down modelling for the last few days, oblivious to world events and everything else. Thanks heavens for a fantastic understanding wife. Now I know there's an extra day I'm just thinking what extra stuff I can get done on it :hmmm: . Good to hear that I can get to bed before midnight tonight though :D

Cheers

Pete