My Entry - Black F3

SaintsPhil

Cheers Steve,

It's the Lakeland Klear substitute, never had a problem before but I use Mr Softener on the decals this time so I assume I didn't clean it properly before I coated it!

I might try another coat of QS, just on one tail!

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Right quick update, no pics but the second coat has removed about 75% of the marks, great! But some are still there for me to repaint! Bother!! I think I'll brush paint over them as I can't face masking that much to use the airbrush! I would strip the kit but I don't have a second set of decals.... Never mind lesson learnt!

Phil

Good recovery. :clap2:

By the way, good tip I once got for doing small area's of touch up with an airbrush is to use post-it notes. Easy to put on and a lot quicker than tape.

Steve

Edited by jacksdad64

Good recovery. :clap2:

By the way, good tip I once got for doing small area's of touch up with an airbrush is to use post-it notes. Easy to put on and a lot quicker than tape.

Steve

Too true. Great tip - use them all the time.

Nice save Phil - hope all comes good in the end.

Andy

Ok I think this kit is cursed!

I sorted the White residue and after about 3 coats of QS you can see your face in the finish! Then while admiring my handy work I dropped it!! Fortunately not too far and only on to the bed! Bent the pitot (again) but I think it's straight ish again now, plus knocked off an aerial, but I had assumed I do that at least once anyway! Worst damage was chipping a small section off the top of the rear of the fin! All repaired now

0b41df5d.jpg

Sorry my pics get worse everytime, canopy and seats are not fixed. All that's left are the gear doors and a few bits of PE in the cockpit!

I'm now on holiday for a week or so, plus a stag do next weekend so next update won't be for a couple of weeks!

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm back and just about in one piece!

Managed to find the time last night to get this one just about done!

Here's a quick snap,

9f6731aa.jpg

I'll take some better pics soon, plus I need to make some FOD covers, when SWMBO gets some more foil!

Phil

She's a beauty Phil - great save on the paint problem/dropping the kit thingy! Happens to me all the time,

I love that shiny black look - awesome

Andy

That looks awesome. I love that scheme on the F3, it suits it slender pointed fusalage. very good.

Ok I said it was done...but then I decided to have a go at a base for it!

This was mainly due to my harrier, for that GB, getting bashed about a bit last weekend when the mother in law hung her dresses over the shelves I keep my completed kits on!!

So I went out and bought a cheap photo frame, cut a piece of plasti-card to fit and coated it in household filler, to approximate something looking like concrete, primed and painted here's the result:

68d53e1c.jpg

I tried to depict a concrete hardstanding meeting a Tarmac area, hence the different colours. Next up a black wash followed by sealing then adding some markings!

Hopefully it'll look ok, plus stop the mother in law related damage!

• 2 weeks later...

All done!

I'd be off to RFI BUT the pics I took before the camera battery died aren't the best so here's a teaser or 2:

DSCF3568.jpg

DSCF3569.jpg

As I said on my other build it's been a great GB thanks to all for comments and encouragement!

Come on guys let's get them all RFI!

Phil

Great work on the build Phil! B) The F.3 certainly does look good in black! The Hasegawa kit certainly seems more detailed for 1/72 then the Italeri kit, especially when it comes to the inside of the cockpit. :clap2: