My Entry - Black F3

SaintsPhil

Morning all,

This was going to be my first GB, but in the excitiment of waiting for it to get going I ended up entering the harrier and Phantom GB too so lets hope I haven't over commited!

I will be trying to replicate this aircraft

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Pa...4a3e4bf696654ba

As it was in the all over black scheme.

The Kit

15c1cad4.jpg

Sprues

9d076fe2.jpg

c819f029.jpg

Extras

bdb9d0af.jpg

e31fa299.jpg

The decals are from model alliance and were very kindly given to me by a BM memeber, Goose. Thanks again Alun!

One thing I've found with GB is waiting to start makes me read the instructions first! I have one question hopefully some one can help with.

In the flightpath set there are some panel that need opening

744877b5.jpg

I can find panels to match 2 of them but not the third, I think the earth lead plug in point (small panel on same side as the refuling probe)

Any help would be appreciated!

Phil

Edited by SaintsPhil

Hi Phil,

Looking forward to this one, as there is something sexy about a glossy black Tornado.

As for the panel, I'm sure Merv (spike) will be along soon with a photo of the panel.

Steve

Sorry Steve,I know literally next to nowt about the F-3...Mudmovers all the way for me!

(Steve,you wanna add them foto's to the reference thread?..)

Edited by spike7451

Sorry Steve,I know literally next to nowt about the F-3...Mudmovers all the way for me!

(Steve,you wanna add them foto's to the reference thread?..)

Can do. I'll pop some F.3 stuff on later today.

Steve

Course not!

The kit is the hasegawa kit although I'm not sure which is better the has or revell/italeri but the revell seems easier to find!

You might struggle with the decals though they are out of print. I begged some from a member on here you could try the same.

Phil

Well despite not being supposed to be doing any modeling today (girlfriend wants to go out for the day) I manage to sneak a start and I've dipped the canopy and put it to one side to dry!

It's a start!!

Phil

I've made some more progress, not much though as trying to get a harrier done for that GB too!

I've started on the pit, I'm not sure how much of the flightpath set I'll use, maybe just the cast rear IP top section (to replace the incorrect kit part). I'm less impressed with this set than I have been with previous FP offerings. The pilot IP doesn't look to fit over the kit part well and the rear IP is one piece, including the front of the monitors, which has nice detail included in the casting! I'll save the rear etch for a future F3 using the Revell kit!

No pictures yet, sorry, I'm stuck with my phone camera, which takes decent enough shots, as long as the lights good, which it wasn't last night!

Phil

Finally update time!

Not had much time to work on this but I have about finished the pit, always my favourite part of a build!

Painted in Vallejo model air US grey which I think is a pretty good scale match for Dk Admiralty Grey.

Dry brushed in light grey and silver to bring out details and a dark wash on the panels.

9dd5c629.jpg

I tried something new for me on the IP and drilled out the instrument faces . I've added the kit decals to some sheet styrene to stick on the back of the IP. Hopefully the dials will show through. I'm a little concerned as the IP are quite thick but we'll see...

d1abc288.jpg

a44295d9.jpg

Firstly sorry the pics are upside down and secondly sorry they are rubbish I only have my phone camera!! I've asked for an SLR for my birthday bit that's not till November!

Bang seats are also nearly done just need a paint to arrive for the belts as I'm fed up of mixing and never getting near the right shade!

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Update time!

Been slow progress due to work and social life getting in the way!

Bang seats are finished

1043e0ef.jpg

These are airwaves seats as the flightpath ones are underscale, the one in the middle is a flightpath seat. They look very odd in the cockpit!

Front section buttoned up with cockpit in.

48468f83.jpg

I took too much off when removing the GR style rear IP top half so had to add a base, for the replacement part to sit on, with styrene sheet.

Front and rear sections joined and some sink holes filled. Not sure this kit is of the current Hasegawa standards, fit is not perfect and there are a few nasty sink holes.

331bcddd.jpg

Some PE parts added too, wing seals here, and thrust reverser details

ec492ea2.jpg

That's it for now, next up to sort the seam between front and rear sections then the fin and rear horrizontal stabilisers, plus some more PE details.

Thanks for looking!

Phil

Update:

The last bits have gone together very easily.

95a1ea1c.jpg

I've done some thing I don't normally do and added all the PE aerials etc as although I know I'll knock at least one off at some point I wanted to see if they looked part of the airframe that way.

In between cutting the lawn I managed to get a coat of primer on it too!

Tonights job mask canopy add add all the PE details to it!

Next up paint!

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since an update, I have been working on it on and off here's the progress so far!

Paint is on shinny black after some quickshine!

34fc86d4.jpg

117fba4e.jpg

I sat the bang seats and rear IP in just to see how it looked!

80cfc69b.jpg

Decals next! My favourite part, I'm a little aprehensive as I'll need to use kit decals for stencils and I've read bad things about hasegawa decals!! I've invested in some Mr Softener and I'm going to do some tests on an old kit first.

Wish me luck

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Disaster has struck!

All the decals are finaly on, and I've coated with a sealing coat of Quickshine. BUT once this had dried the kit is covered in a White residue

51d76b31.jpg

71f6d47b.jpg

fd151851.jpg

I can only assume this is from the decals solutions I've used! I thought I'd cleaned the model pretty well prior to varnish but I guess not....

Any one got any bright ideasof how to get rid of it, or am I destined to mask all the decals and re-spray?

Phil

Aargh! What a nightmare. Not to sure what Quickshine is as I've never used it before.

Something similar can happen with other gloss coats, sometimes as a result of the conditions during application. There have been times when I've had something similar happen to me and I've used Klear to re-coat and it has done the trick.

Hopefully, someone else who's used Quickshine will be able to give you a definative answer.

Steve