Handley Page H.P.42

Hi All,

For those not familiar with the following, here are some pics featuring some Handley Page H.P.42 aircraft of Imperial Airways Ltd. captured in the Middle East during 1931, 1936 and 1939 respectively. They include G-AAGX 'HANNIBAL', G-AAUD 'HANNO' and 'HENGIST, G-AAUE 'HADRIAN', I will post more as I edit the rest of the images that I have of these aircraft.

00242.jpg

Semakh, October 1931

03061.jpg

03062.jpg

Semakh, October 1931

03063.jpg

Semakh, October 1931

03064.jpg

Semakh, October 1931

11454.jpg

Semakh, October 1931

15809.jpg

Galilee Lake, October 1931

15810.jpg

15891.jpg

Heliopolis, October 1931

17247.jpg

Alexandria, 1936

18308.jpg

April 1939

Larger 1800px images can be found at the following web pages; greyarchive and colourarchive.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Edited by Daniel Cox
  • Like 3

Hello, this is my favourite airliner! Thanks for sharing them. they are very evocotive of a byegone age when things seemed simpler (how wrong that is though).

Ray

Thank you for the great photos. I had some of them, but not with quality in your album.

This one shows very well the Frize ailerons, another needed modification to the crappy Contrail kit.

17247.jpg

Great photos. thank you for posting them.

Andrew

Hi All,

Thank-you I'm glad you appreciate the pics I have created another image album that has 1800px crops of the same that can be found here detailarchive for better detail close up views.

18483_0001.jpg

03063_0001.jpg

11454_0002.jpg

17247_0001.jpg

03064_0001.jpg

Cheers,

Daniel.

Classic photos...thanks for sharing...!

Cheers,

ggc

Brilliant pictures, Daniel! That closeup of the cockpit area really shows off all the fiddly bits British biplanes of the '30's seemed to be festooned with. Part of their charm, really. I have the 1/144th scale Airfix kit, but I suppose it's too much to expect an injection-moulded one in 1/72nd scale anytime soon.

Regards,

Learstang

What fabulous photos, so clear and so atmospheric, it must have been quite an adventure to travel back in those days.

Thanks for posting them,

John

Hi All,

Again thanks, the images in this instance are part of the G. Eric and Edith Matson Photograph Collection held by the United States Library of Congress which includes images captured by Matson Phot Service and the American Colony (Jerusalem) Photo Department. The images have been sourced from tiff files created from scans of 4"x5" Nitrate Negs and 5"x7" Glass Dry Plate Negs and can be found here: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/mpc2004004996/PP/ for example. They have also been edited by me before posting.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Edited by Daniel Cox

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Here are some more pictures of the Handley Page H.P.42 shown below.

14391.jpg

15940.jpg

Rutba, Iraq 1936.

17385.jpg

Malakal, Sudan 1936.

17387.jpg

Malakal, Sudan 1936.

17389.jpg

Malakal, Sudan 1936.

17393.jpg

Malakal, Sudan 1936.

17395.jpg

Malakal, Sudan 1936.

17396.jpg

Malakal, Sudan 1936.

17398.jpg

Malakal, Sudan 1936.

17399.jpg

Malakal, Sudan 1936.

17403.jpg

Malakal, Sudan 1936.

17415.jpg

Sudan 1936.

17419.jpg

Sudan 1936.

17429.jpg

Entebbe, Uganda 1936.

18481.jpg

Lydda, British Mandate of Palestine.

Larger 1800px images can be found on the following web page: greyarchive.

Cheers,

Daniel.

• Like 2

Hi Again,

18483.jpg

Larger 1800px images can be found at the following web pages; greyarchive and colourarchive.

Cheers,

Daniel.

A question,

Why do we bust our chops trying to get perfectly smooth surfaces with nary a ripple on our models when in reality the airplanes had bumps and bulges, dings and dongs all over the place? Look again at the area directly under the pilots window.

Stephen

Fantastic pics!

I never realised (probably because I had never looked at one so closely) that the four-bladed wooden props are actually 2 two-bladed ones bolted on top of each other!

Also great to see the aircraft steps using bicycle wheels to move them about and the old buffer in the pics from Sudan, in full tropical gear and about to disembark!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
I never realised (probably because I had never looked at one so closely) that the four-bladed wooden props are actually 2 two-bladed ones bolted on top of each other!

Of the eight HP42s built four were meant for 'Western' routes, i.e., Europe, and had full four bladed props. The 'Eastern' routes aircraft, Asia and Africa, had the split two bladed props to allow the aircraft to carry spare props.

An excellent collection of photos !!!!

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Fantasic photos, pity they were not in the IN when I made a search years ago. Many thanks for posting.

Sorry to be a nit picker but:

Of the eight HP42s built four were meant for 'Western' routes, i.e., Europe, and had full four bladed props. The 'Eastern' routes aircraft, Asia and Africa, had the split two bladed props to allow the aircraft to carry spare props.

Four of the a/c ('Eastern') with 2 x two bladed props are H.P.42s. The other four ('Western') with four bladed props are H.P.45s.

So the Airfix H.P. 42 "HERACLES" artwork showing it flying over the pyramids is a figment of their imagination, as the 'Heracles' was a H.P.45 'Westerner'.

Karl.

P.S. With the model it looks like I'll need a heated ball peen hammer. :lol:

Edited by XE521

A question,

Why do we bust our chops trying to get perfectly smooth surfaces with nary a ripple on our models when in reality the airplanes had bumps and bulges, dings and dongs all over the place? Look again at the area directly under the pilots window.

Stephen

Totally agree, that plane looks like it's been hit by Ack Ack or someone's been taking (quite a lot of) pot shots at it.

What is the guy on top of the fuselage filling?

Look at the ladder up to the engines.

Just love the "Colonel Blimp" type exiting the aircraft in full tropical regalia... Complete with Bow tie! Priceless!

Amazing pics, absolutely amazingly fascinating!!!

:mike: