The Mess

jacksdad

Way back on the Sqn,we were dropping a tank off the port wing using the Bitch Bars.Four of us bombheads & a Snec...We were told by the line that the drop was empty & the Snec confirmed this by tapping it...So he unlocks the ERU...Bloody thing was half full!!!

Cost the line chief & our Snec a few beers at the next beer call!!

Whilst on detatchment in the U.S. one of our intrepid pilots managed to fire the inboard carts whilst doing cockpit checks prior to start up, luckily the pylon pin was still in otherwise the full drop tank would have hit the deck. Tank had to be drained and a replacement tank fitted, due to 2 very nice dimples in the top of the tank from the ejector pistons. Gave a whole new meaning to "tanks on, tanks off"

Wont say which squadron.........but they broke some dams a while back !!!!

Way back on the Sqn,we were dropping a tank off the port wing using the Bitch Bars.Four of us bombheads & a Snec...We were told by the line that the drop was empty & the Snec confirmed this by tapping it...So he unlocks the ERU...Bloody thing was half full!!!

Cost the line chief & our Snec a few beers at the next beer call!!

Been there and done that, sat on a jammer in Cyprus dropping a 2250 off an F-3, "Rolfie it is empty?" swift tap off MrRolfe, B sharp comes the sound, "yea mate it's empty, cocking off" THUMP a full 2250 tank onto the forks, I almost get thrown off the Jammer!!!!! Rolfie runs off!!!! ah good old days :analintruder:

mytornados2.jpg

mytornados1.jpg

Just want to share this with you. This falls in the gone but not forgotten category. These planes are gone due to a fire in my storage unit where they were stored (blame the guy in the next unit) They are all Italeri kits and I want to rebuild them. I hope you enjoy them as they were a pleasure to build the first time

The Mess? I thought this was where I could discuss having cleaned up the bomb site that was my modelling area! Anyway, it's all looking sparkly now with a new desktop courtesy of my Swedish friends at IKEA.

I work with quite a few ex-Tornado chaps so I might get a few anecdotes from them along the way. Right, off to the modelling bench!

The Mess? I thought this was where I could discuss having cleaned up the bomb site that was my modelling area! Anyway, it's all looking sparkly now with a new desktop courtesy of my Swedish friends at IKEA.

I work with quite a few ex-Tornado chaps so I might get a few anecdotes from them along the way. Right, off to the modelling bench!

That's fine, but I must point out that while in the mess you take your hat off and have a drink in your hand. :drink::rules:

Steve (the barman)

That's a damn shame, they looked really nice.

Still, any excuse to build a Tornado. Are you doing all three?

Steve

If l can find the prototype kit again yes. I know there is the airfix one but l rather go Italeri kits. I also want to add a Gr4 as well as a gulf war version

If l can find the prototype kit again yes. I know there is the airfix one but l rather go Italeri kits. I also want to add a Gr4 as well as a gulf war version

Yup,they're sweet looking models,only thing is you can't park a GR1 with the wings swept back,due to the fin tank they'd sit on their tails!

Yup,they're sweet looking models,only thing is you can't park a GR1 with the wings swept back,due to the fin tank they'd sit on their tails!

Very true - but, when the GR1 aircraft were very new, we tried to work out if we could do a wingsweep on the ground, (Yes, the book said you couldn't do this!), and found that if you loaded four 1000lbers as far forward on the front fuselage stations, (Front & Centre positions?), you could get away with it.

This was with the first standard of Nose Landing Gear (NLG), which had the scissors on the front and rear of the NLG.

The aircraft did go a 'little light' on the nose nevertheless, but we needed to know, just in case we had to do this 'in action'.

Cheers, Brian

Very true - but, when the GR1 aircraft were very new, we tried to work out if we could do a wingsweep on the ground, (Yes, the book said you couldn't do this!), and found that if you loaded four 1000lbers as far forward on the front fuselage stations, (Front & Centre positions?), you could get away with it.

This was with the first standard of Nose Landing Gear (NLG), which had the scissors on the front and rear of the NLG.

The aircraft did go a 'little light' on the nose nevertheless, but we needed to know, just in case we had to do this 'in action'.

Cheers, Brian

Yeah,I remember seeing trials where the Tornado landed with the wings swept..we had to load the bombs in a certain way on the GR1 as well,especially when loading 8 bombs on TSC's.

Yeah,I remember seeing trials where the Tornado landed with the wings swept..we had to load the bombs in a certain way on the GR1 as well,especially when loading 8 bombs on TSC's.

Again, I believe the pilots had to practice this during their Tornado Training at Cottesmore, so that if the wings ever seized in the fully swept condition 'in anger', they could still land the aircraft and not just go for the 'Martin Baker Let Down'!

Cheers, Brian

Ok Chaps, a bit of help and advice needed please. How dirty do you go (Oo-er Missus!")? I am doing one of the Gulf War GR.1's (and no, I still haven't decided which one...) and all the photos show them looking pretty filthy. I normally like to keep my builds fairly clean but can see in this instance that may not be totally accurate.

So, what level of filth is acceptable? And more to the point, does anyone have any suggestions how best to do it? My normal approach is Mr Flory's excellent sludge wash but is this going to give the right coverage or should I be thinking about diluted oil paint instead?

I sincerely hope I haven't just rolled a live hand grenade into the Mess!

Tim Von Standing Well Back.

Live grenades are no problem. Just means the next round is yours.

As for your build. First off, it's YOUR build. Next, it depends when in theatre you are depicting. Early on, less weathering/less bomb tokens. Later on, more weathering/more bomb tokens!!

If you want to show some use, remember there was sun and sand damage. You may want to depict what actually happened. Paint the kit pre-deployment colour. Using a torn piece of Scotch-brite dab on some Maskol to areas where paint would wear/flake off. Next spray on desert colour. When dry just rub off the Maskol and hey presto, worn paint scheme. Then do a wash of your choice.

Hope this helps.

How are you getting on with your quest for info on the P.02 cockpit?

Steve

You rotter! I was trying to avoid thinking about the peeling paint and sun bleaching. The other thought i had was to use enamel paint for the base colour and then acrylic over the top. A quick rub with fine wet and dry would probably do the same job. I was going to attempt that on the fuel tanks but wasn't sure about the airframe. I guess walkways and pylons would have got pretty scuffed as would access panels.

Are there any photos anywhere per chane?

• 1 month later...

Just a wee note for the guys in the GB.

I have kind of stalled on my build, for one reason or another, but I have managed to get some work done today. I plan on doing some more tomorrow, so hopefully some pictures then.

However, there is one thing I would like to say. I have just had a look at all the builds and I can honestly say that the judging at the end is going to be very difficult. There are some really nice builds going on, in all scales. Although 1/48 looks to be a very close affair, with some fantastic work going on.

So, keep up the good work gents and I am really looking forward to handing out the prizes from the small mound of stuff that was generously donated by some really nice guys.

Humbly yours,

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

My hat is off and a drink is in hand, does a cup of tea count?

I've been busy with family life over the last week, but my gorgeous partner, Zuzana, remarked last night that I should take a day off trying to ease everyone else and go and have a day's modelling! So, it's 0915hrs here and I'll be going to the modelling desk shortly.

But before I do, I mentioned earlier that I work with many ex-Tornado pilots and wondered if any of you knew them?

Dave Cleland-Smith, 617Sqn

Doug Moule

Chris Williams, 2Sqn

Chris is a top bloke and after the 617Sqn GR4 is finished for the GB, I'm going to do a 2Sqn one for him at some point.

Right, off to the desk!! :pilot: