I hope i'm not the only one

dazdot

this has got me wondering about ficticious spitfire based plane customs, i wonder what a spitfire biplane would look like or a jet spiftire. not related to the boobfire but customising,

this has got me wondering about ficticious spitfire based plane customs, i wonder what a spitfire biplane would look like or a jet spiftire. not related to the boobfire but customising,

Your wish is my command , Spitfire biplane, 19 squadron RAF, Duxford ,early 1930's.

DSC03711.jpg

DSC03713.jpg

Your wish is my command , Spitfire biplane, 19 squadron RAF, Duxford ,early 1930's.

Thats fantastic thanks very much, looks great, i was thinking of the origins of the hurricane being derrived from bi plane, was it the hawker hart,

and thought a spit would look cool as i like the hart, you model makes me want to ask was it a reall machine as it looks so convinceing,

great work thanks for sharing

Your wish is my command...

Andrew, you're a sick man! But I applaud your symptoms.

"I like Spitfires because..."

Oh dear, let me count the ways... no, I'll spare you that. So instead, off the cuff:

Gorgeous (with rare exceptions, such as Vokes-filtered, slipper-tank laden Mk.V Trops)

Enigmatic (hey, the most famous British aeroplane, maybe, and we're still arguing over the facts behind various aspects of its history)

Huge scope for kitbashing (I mean swapping parts, not complaining!)

and, of course, dare I say "Romance"

bob

Andrew, you're a sick man! But I applaud your symptoms.

"I like Spitfires because..."

Oh dear, let me count the ways... no, I'll spare you that. So instead, off the cuff:

Gorgeous (with rare exceptions, such as Vokes-filtered, slipper-tank laden Mk.V Trops)

Enigmatic (hey, the most famous British aeroplane, maybe, and we're still arguing over the facts behind various aspects of its history)

Huge scope for kitbashing (I mean swapping parts, not complaining!)

and, of course, dare I say "Romance"

bob

Romance? I've had sex in a spitfire - a Triumph Spitfire :):):):)

Great thread, well done that man for starting it.

Nothing more evocative than the sound of the Merlin and to see that graceful eliptical wing still flying above the countryside it defended over 70 years ago.

Such a beautiful design for such a deadly purpose.

Even my LMS has noticed that the Spitfire is at the top of my shopping list.

MORE Spitfires please.

Andrew

Still awaiting the 1/24 VFS Spitfire.

I think a lot of the Allied WWII Subs are under represented.

The T's, U's and S's and even the post war A's

When I worked at Cammell Lairds we had a large ammount of glass plate negatives of all the subs built. I even saw some photos taken inside the Thetis when it was salvaged, they were not nice.

Julien

You've probably already seen it but this is a fair British WWII sub site:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~gchalcraft/sm/index.htm

Nice thread. :)

It's quite amusing to hear fellow modellers making the comment that we've got too many Mk.IXs to choose from now.

I remember back in the old days. :pipe: For lunch, all we had was a lump of coal and an horse sh!t sandwich and for Christmas, we'd have an Apple & an Orange and we were bloody happy to have 'em. Back then, the Nine was top of many a Spit fans wishlists.

In 48th, all we had was the ancient Monogram kit (which I built) or the old Otaki Mk.VIII (which I also built :D ).

I'm trying to think of another aircraft which had so many variants or sub versions. I suppose the 109 comes closest (I'm open to correction/education on this).

This may go some way to explaining the quantity of Spit and 109 kits we see.

I personally am quite happy that the manufacturers are working their way through all those missing variants now. Who would've thought we'd see a mainstream kit maker releasing the Mk.XII, for example.

Too many Spits?... Impossible, I say.

Keep 'em coming :pilot:

Hi Jim

Yes I have visited this site but a reminder of it's existance does no harm. And I really do think, when you look at what subs are available surely there is room for a British sub.

Cheers

Adam

Oh I most certainly agree.

I'm trying to think of another aircraft which had so many variants or sub versions. I suppose the 109 comes closest (I'm open to correction/education on this).

The 109 probably does. Not only there were many versions, but there were a number of variations within each version. Not that I know them all of course.

The MiG-21 is probably another type that had a lot of version and variations. Sure most people with a particular interest in a certain plane will know so many variations about a type that most of us can't even dream about !

One interesting point about the spitfire that has not been mentioned is the number of schemes and markings ! While most modellers will be more familiar with the "traditional" dark green/dark earth, dark green/ocean grey and the desert scheme in RAF markings, with many spitfires serving abroad during the war and post war there's a huge choice !

Without looking at any book the following markings come to my mind (and I'm sure forgetting a few):

- france

- italy

- greece

- USA

- australia

- ireland

- burma

- israel

- egypt

- czechoslovakia

- norway

- holland

- sweden

- soviet union

- belgium

- syria

- south africa

- india

- portugal

- argentina

- canada

Some of them in standard RAF schemes, others in unusual schemes... not to mention the fascinating PR schemes !

Edited by Giorgio N

This was done for a club display of air force operators once (also civilian, warbirds, quasi-miltary and Argentinian evaluation examples were on display). Any more?

Australia

Belgium

Burma

Canada

Czechoslovakia

Denmark

Egypt

France

Germany

Greece

Hong Kong

India

Indonesia

Ireland

Israel

Italy

Netherlands

New Zealand

Norway

Pakistan

Poland

Portugal

Southern Rhodesia

South Africa

Soviet Union

Sweden

Syria

Thailand

Turkey

United Kingdom

United States

Yugoslavia

im getting the urge to go by a tamiya or airfix 1/48 spit mk1/2/ or 5

You know you want to! :lol:

Sadly, the Spitmodeller STGB finishes this weekend. Anyone up for Spitmodeller II? :D

Mind you, someone pointed out on another thread that we could have an ongoing thread (or maybe even a sub-forum) devoted to Spitfires. I reckon it is possible that there will always be at least one Spitfire being built by a member of the BM Massive.

I am just finishing off my three for the Spitmodeller GB, together with an Airfix XII. Then as son as my Airfix Seafire XVIIs arrive, I will be diving headlong into them to build two XVIIs and a Canadian XV.

im still new to the site, and still getting to know my way around, im one of the hosts for the v force gb but i have some learning to do, id like o enter a gb there are a few going but am i to late to join, or do i have to be invited to join, are they a competition or just for fun, im in the dark about some things here, i should have called myself "the mushroom" not rob vulcan.

im up for spitfire 2. i have a 1/72 spit mk1 hasegawa kiwi one, and revel mk5b, nearly finished my prxix, well except for painting, the pva masks have dried on the windows now so i may put the base coat on. speaking of spits one of my students has the 1/32 tamiya spit mk 9. he does not want to build it and offerd to pay me by the hour to make it. sounds double the fun. what a treat.

id like o enter a gb there are a few going but am i to late to join, or do i have to be invited to join, are they a competition or just for fun

As long as you can finish the model within the allotted timescale, then it's never too late. You don't have to be invited to join, just leap right in, although it might be nice to let the groupbuild hosts know that you are leaping.

GBs are mostly for fun, although some can include a competition as well. Depends on what the hosts decide.

Go on... choose a GB... the F-4 STGB has only just started and it runs for six months!

Enzo

It was me that suggested the Spitfire sub forum, earlier on this thread. Purely an observation/suggestion based on the number of Spitfire threads you see on here.

I've got a fair few of them to build too. At the moment i've got a now oop Xtrakit Mk XII to finish off in 1/72. After that I might do my Airfix 1/48 Mk XII. If I sat down and worked out how many 1/72 Spitfires I have to build for our business to auction and how many in my personal stash, I'm guessing 40+.

So to quote a famous comedy sketch: 'This year, I'll be mostly building Spitfires!'

http://www.mjwmodels.co.uk/home

Thanks

Mike

It was me that suggested the Spitfire sub forum, earlier on this thread. Purely an observation/suggestion based on the number of Spitfire threads you see on here.

And it's a jolly good idea! I will definitely be building three more this year. I have already decided on the first two for next year, which will be a pair of MkVs. I also fancy an FR.XIVe and another Seafire XVII. I'm hoping that Airfix will have released their own 1/48 Mk XIV by that time! :-D And I could easily build a silver F.22 and a Seafire F.46. I have 'em in the stash right now. There's just so much to choose from! :D