I hope i'm not the only one

dazdot

Spitfires...... so much diversity in one subject....something for everyone.........even non believers :bleh:

Looks like this could be a good Sunday :thumbsup2:

:lol: :lol:

I'll drink to that one!!

Well, maybe not drink!! Too much Guinness yesterday.

I'm all for diversity - provided everyone agrees with me!! :lol:

Of course, Nigel Bunker is absolutely right but there has to come a point when people throw up their hands in despair & say "Jeez, not another f****** Spitfire!!" In all honesty Nigel, if your hypothetical company DID offer the first releases you mention then I'm afraid I wouldn't be one of your customers - why? Every one of these hypothetical subjects has already been done to death! However, that's just me. ( No offence by the way! :D ) Now, if you were to offer a B-52, Vulcan B1, Victor B1, B-47,DC-6, DC-7, C-17,C-141,C-124, Lockheed Electra ( The L-188 type!!), Twin Pioneer,Brittania, C-123 to name but few & ALL to 1/72 ( none of this 1/144 nonsense)...................................!!!!!!!!

Not that I ask much!!

:lol: :lol:

Yes, I know I'm fantasising now!!

Don't see WNW selling Spitfires

That's because Tamiya, Hasegawa, Revell, Matchbox, and Pacific Coast got there first. :poke:

Edited by Edgar

Mainstream manufacturers aside- the boom in new spitfire kits is surely partly a function of the stellar rise of modern short-run injection manufacturers? So whilst you can now get a really obscure Spitfire type of which only a handful were built, you can also get nearly anything else in plastic too. I don't see much evidence that short run manufacturers are neglecting esoteric types to concentrate on spitfires, so I think we really are modelling in an age where everyone can be happy!

Personally, my interests never stretched to spitfires. Recently I bought a couple of airfix MkIs for the groupbuild on here, and I'm now on my fifth- including some PR conversions. I never thought it would happen, but I am very much hooked on building spitfires!

Will

Edited by Killingholme

Now let us assume I am going to set up Bunker models, a mainstream kit manufacturer, who are going to make the the most wonderful, accurate kits, with more decal options than you can imagine. As MD, the kit I want to make is the Scruggs Wonderplane because it is my favourite of all time. But I need to get the company moving and sell kits. So my first releases will be 109, Spitfire, F-16, F-4 and any other planes the marketing department tell me will sell. I need those kits to sell consistently every month to keep my company in business. Then, occasionally we can put in more esoteric subjects, but the fact is they will not sell as well as those mainstream subjects. Companies need kits that sell in large volumes, and the Spitfire will always do that.

So as long as Spitfires sell, there will be new Spitfire kits marketed.

Which is pretty much what Matchbox did, although I remember a quote from (I think) the late great Maurice Landi to the effect that sometimes they listened to the enthusiast end too much and ended up with "much requested" subjects that ended up selling a snails pace.

People pontificate over why Hasegawa are constantly reboxing their kits with new decals - to generate income, income which will then pay for them to stray from the well trodden path with stuff like the Yak 3, Polikarpov I-16, Dewoitine D.520 and MS 406. Ditto Tamiya - more Tigers, more Panthers, P-51s, 109s etc... and then we get 1/35 Char Bs, French Armoured Carriers and Austin Tillys, 1/48 Storchs and Swordfish.

I wonder how long a model shop would last if it didn't stock any Spitfires, 109s, 190s, P-51s, F-16s etc..?

I know there have been a huge amount of kit "staples" released over the years and are still been put on the market for our enjoyment( or not ),however I dont think the popularity of the subject is the sole reason they sell so well.

During my early modelling days the F-4 was very much en vogue alongside the Spitfire and 109,there were ,alas,very few decent kits to choose from.

Airfixs' multi type F-4 was for many years the "big seller" of the type and no matter how many manufacturers came out with their new superkit few really captured the much photographed and measured lines of the original.

In my opinion the same has happened with the Spitfire/109 and even the F-16. How many articles have been published about using parts from this kit and that kit to try and get an acceptable (if not perfect) model. This seems to be still going on,the new 109Es from Airfix and perhaps their recent Spit?. (havent got one so cant say for sure).

Looks to me that the afore mentioned staples will continue to be released and bought by"new" modellers and gratefully received and welcomed by even the most jaded of modelling pallets. The later Im sure in hope of the definitive boxing.

Id like to see new and I mean new ,not re-released with other decals versions of the lesser types, perhaps an F-106,Cougar and even a brand new Scimitar........................................................................

..............................but pleeeease not another Bl**$y Spitfire. :suicide::wicked:

Removing tongue from cheek and off to the pub. :devil:

I'm perfectly happy to read posts from people complaining about the number of Spitfire kits on the market because I can sit back int the smug satisfaction of knowing it is not going to change a thing.

Well said, Spits (and 109s and Zeros and Mustangs) sell, knocking out the staples puts money in the bank and allows a mainstream manufacturer to give us something more esoteric now and then...

Would we really have seen a Sea Vixen from Airfix if they weren't shifting all those 1/72nd Spits and 1/48th 109s?

They only tell you that so that you keep buying Spits even though there are already78 kits in the loft, Modeller.

Same reason why they deliberately add mistakes so you buy the latest version to kitbash to create the perfect replica.

Anyway, it is good to hear that Staples are now selling kits, but not entirely sure why the purveyors of paperclips, stationary and sundry office supplies are doing so.

It's true to say that a lot of Spit kits are suddenly appearing, the only problem being that all the manufaturers are producing kits of the same marks! PLEASE, PLEASE Mr Tamiya, gives a 1/32 MARK 1 or 2A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember the Air Battle that brought the aircraft it's initial FAME?? The Battle of Britain! One can but hope...........

Which is pretty much what Matchbox did, although I remember a quote from (I think) the late great Maurice Landi to the effect that sometimes they listened to the enthusiast end too much and ended up with "much requested" subjects that ended up selling a snails pace.

People pontificate over why Hasegawa are constantly reboxing their kits with new decals - to generate income, income which will then pay for them to stray from the well trodden path with stuff like the Yak 3, Polikarpov I-16, Dewoitine D.520 and MS 406. Ditto Tamiya - more Tigers, more Panthers, P-51s, 109s etc... and then we get 1/35 Char Bs, French Armoured Carriers and Austin Tillys, 1/48 Storchs and Swordfish.

I wonder how long a model shop would last if it didn't stock any Spitfires, 109s, 190s, P-51s, F-16s etc..?

Agreed - I'm sure more than one manufacturer has been bitten by a kit which everyone wanted until it was released, to the point where they're (sensibly) somewhat gun-shy about believing modelbuilders, many of whom are obsessed by some obscure type of aircraft which they imagine to be a "sure seller". Like me, with my 1/72 Yak-1b fetish, for example. Only problem with the four Hasegawa kits you mention is that they were originally released, what? Seems like twenty years ago? And sadly, from my VVS-obsessed perspective, they've never done another Russian (or French, AFAIK) WWII subject since. That tells me something, although I hate to admit it! But Hasegawa's current trend toward repeated reboxing of real sure sellers doesn't seem to have bankrolled any of the new kits that I personally would like to see. I did buy a couple of new Airfix Spitfires, though - now, Airfix, I've done my part - please get on with at least retooling your 1/72 Yak-9D! ;)

John

right let me get a few things clear, I don't hate the spit, I feel it is an iconic piece of our history and it was the forerunner of great things,

and I know that for every fw189 from great wall that gets sold there will be lots of spits, i just want to see more of the other stuff thats all and not tons of the same marks n the same scales, we have at least 4 different mk 22/24's out there now and lots of mark v's and 9's how about for every great spit kit we get a great obscure kit like a good 1/48 hurri?

Sorry to have raised hell so to speak and i HOPE THAT I HAVENT upset too many people

Darren

Sorry to have raised hell so to speak and i HOPE THAT I HAVENT upset too many people

Good grief, no, but rest assured that Spitfire-lovers, everywhere, have been kneeling by their beds (not me, my arthritis won't allow it,) and including you in their prayers that you might yet see the light, and abandon the Dark Side. :pray:

Edgar

Darren

Seven great pages of good-natured and amusing banter, nothing wrong with that, but as Edgar says , "Turn away from the dark side", it's not too late, build another Spitfire model, you can still be saved.

Darren

Best thread I have seen in a long time. To me this is what BM is all about. Very tongue in cheek, and not taking it all toooooo seriously.

Spot on. :whistle:

(maybe he's a die-hard ManU fan... explains the angst)

We should never mock the afflicted..........some one has to support them.

Back on topic, as a 1/72 modeller, I think the flood of Spitfire kits in 2010-11 has been fantastic. Many of these variants had either not been released before or done quite poorly. I'm particularly happy at all the Griffon-variants which have been traditionally been underrepresented. I agree that in some cases there has been repeats but sometimes this hasn't been bad either: about time the Fujimi Mk. XIV had some competition as it has some horrible fit problems (particularly on the standard canopy variants because of a piddle-poor spine).

AZ Models has also come out with a flurry of Hurricane kits, not sure how well good they are, but can't say the Hurri hasn't gotten the treatment... it's just that you can't compare 3 main Hurri variants with 20+ Spitfires and expect them to be equally represented on the shelves.

this is all well and good as a 1/72 modeller but what about 1/48? we had the airfix mk1 hurri a while ago but nothing else? while we get ever more obscure 190's and 152's from the far east and eastern europe i feel that numerous high production aircraft are being sadly neglegted